The Sewing Place

Chalk and cheese!

KayK

Chalk and cheese!
« on: July 27, 2019, 18:08:39 PM »
Having bored the pants off you last week with the story of the dreadful Gemini die cutter, I have now bought an Accuquilt Go.  Also having spent many an unhappy hour with the rotary cutter (fairly successfully) cutting shapes and giving myself an even more wonky thumb, I thought do or die (geddit?)  0_0.

It arrived via good old Amazon this afternoon and is a totally different creature.  Solid, stable, German made.  Simplicity itself to set up (die, fabric, cutting plate - that's it).  Yes, it is more expensive than the Gemini, but I can see this lasting a long time.

In fact, my new obsession has taken such a hold I have signed up for a 2 year course!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Acorn

Re: Chalk and cheese!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 19:37:51 PM »
As I have at least one Accuquilt die to use with my Sizzix Bigshot, I assume Sizzix dies will work with the Accuquilt machine - which should greatly increase your range, as well as providing cheaper dies than the Accuquilt ones.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

RJR_38

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 21:18:33 PM »
As I have at least one Accuquilt die to use with my Sizzix Bigshot, I assume Sizzix dies will work with the Accuquilt machine - which should greatly increase your range, as well as providing cheaper dies than the Accuquilt ones.   :D

From what I understand accuquilt dies will work in a sizzix machine but sizzix dies won’t work in an accuquilt machine. This was why I bought a sizzix machine...

To be honest I haven’t used it as much as I thought I would...

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 21:49:11 PM »
Oh, that's a shame!  Presumably the Accuquilt die needs the extra plates because they're not as thick as Sizzix dies, whereas you can't make the Sizzix dies thinner for the Accuquilt machine?  I haven't used my Accuquilt die yet so that didn't register.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 22:18:56 PM »
I agree, they are only interchangeable one way
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 22:50:17 PM »
Having bored the pants off you last week with the story of the dreadful Gemini die cutter, I have now bought an Accuquilt Go.  Also having spent many an unhappy hour with the rotary cutter (fairly successfully) cutting shapes and giving myself an even more wonky thumb, I thought do or die (geddit?)  0_0.

It arrived via good old Amazon this afternoon and is a totally different creature.  Solid, stable, German made.  Simplicity itself to set up (die, fabric, cutting plate - that's it).  Yes, it is more expensive than the Gemini, but I can see this lasting a long time.

In fact, my new obsession has taken such a hold I have signed up for a 2 year course!
@KayK
That is so funny I started to write to you and suggest an Accuquilt but felt that it might not be the right thing to do.
 it is exactly what  I did after returning my Gemini and I love my Accuquilt,  I haven’t had it long but really want to get into more quilting this winter.  So far I have used it to make several patchwork fabrics that I have then used to make bags  etc. I was lucky and bought some dies through create and craft at a very reduced price.
What kind course are you doing?

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 08:01:33 AM »
  Yes, it is more expensive than the Gemini, but I can see this lasting a long time.

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for!

And on that note, and in no way Darkside related other than a Darksider bought it ... Yesterday I bought a shoe rack to tame the shoemageddon that accrues from time to time in my home.

Yes, it looks like I wanted it to ... slatted wood shelving in a narrowish bench style
Yes, it works like I wanted it to ... as in holding shoes off the floor and in one place

But it is seriously flimsy, made out of the modern equivalent of balsa wood that we used to craft planes from in primary school as far as I can see, and I dread the day some of my lil neighbours come round and try to sit on it ...
but it will do for the moment, until I find the grown up version.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

KayK

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 12:07:18 PM »
@KayK

What kind course are you doing?
It's called 'Creative Patchwork and Quilting' and is run under the auspices of the WI! It is the equivalent of a City and Guilds Level 3, and the good thing it that its held only a couple of miles away!  They held a 'Graduation' show at a 6th Form College in Ipswich last week, and the standard of work was AMAZING, I really have seen nothing like it before (even at some quilt shows).  It was seriously inspiring, and all the bods I met were lovely enthusiasts. All in all, I cant wait to go!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 15:56:19 PM »
Awwwww ... Thats just the sort of thing I want need to go on ... Can I bum a ride @KayK ???
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 15:12:40 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 17:42:29 PM »
Me too
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 21:04:48 PM »
I would love to do this too, I think Suffolk could be a bit far though.

Seriously I am looking for something to keep me interested as I am not got be working so much this winter, everything I find is either too far away to do regularly or at a time I can’t do.

Kitten

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 13:59:56 PM »
I was lucky enough to be given an Accuquilt Go Big for my birthday & Christmas last year.  I love it.

I just finished a quilt for my GD 1st birthday using it and it was so easy and quick - and accurate, which can't be said for all of the sewing :[ 
Fortunately my GD's mum and dad don't seem to mind.

It is the 3rd quilt I've ever made and by far the easiest to cut.
Kitten