The Sewing Place

Embroidery Modules

Kenora

Embroidery Modules
« on: July 28, 2019, 18:52:22 PM »
I'm swithering about adding an embroidery module to one of my Bernina sewing machines. I'm particularly looking at using embroidery either as centrepiece designs for quilt blocks, or possibly, to help with quilting itself. Not sure about that last bit or how practical it would be?? :S

I think I'd probably go for the module for the larger of my machines, which is a 7 Series. Although it would be more expensive, it would also give me a bigger hoop (I think), which I feel would be better.

Does anybody have any thoughts/recommendations/warnings (?) about adding an embroidery module to a normal sewing machine please?
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Morgan

Re: Embroidery Modules
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 22:02:40 PM »
Get the machine/module that takes the largest size hoop that you can afford - it gives you the scope to develop with different machine embroidery projects.
You will use smaller hoops as well as the larger ones.

Some different forms of quilting using machine embroidery -
- Assembled quilt that is quilted using machine embroidery designs loaded onto the machine (eg. edge to edge patterns or block designs)
- Embroidered blocks that are sewn together using a sewing machine.  These embroidered blocks may be pieced in the hoop or made up from applique or embroidered and then framed with borders - Anita Goodesign has lots of schemes and designs that use these techniques.
- Quilt as you Go with machine embroidery
- In the hoop projects that use quilting.

If you expect to use the embroidery machine to quilt assembled quilts, then consider using a Dime Magnetic hoop which makes things so easy.  They are not cheap but are worth it.  - Michelle Schofield's DIME Magnetic Embroidery Hoops on Facebook is the place to get all the information on those.  I'd invest in those before buying additional ordinary hoops for your module.

Lots of videos around about the different machine embroidery quilting methods and also about magnetic hoops and quilting.
Several very useful fb groups as well.

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 14:15:56 PM »
Thank you @Morgan for so much useful information. I will follow your leads and do my research before I invest in the module. From what you write it sounds as though there are more ways to utilise the embroidery module than I'd thought - which is great. :)

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:26:28 AM »
@Morgan  ... linky not valid ...

I'm interested in this as well as one of the Project Linus quilts has some stunning embroidered/quilted flowers that were apparently done on an embroidery machine using a magnetic hoop ...

Q: Does the magnetic hoop not interfere with the machines computer???
Ive always been told not to put a magnet near The Splurgess
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
@Iminei that used to be true but not anymore, Husqvarna and Pfaff sell their own magnetic hoops and it was the first thing I asked about.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »
The magnets aren’t strong enough to interfere with the machine.  If you use a brand for your machine and something went wrong you would have some comeback.  If using an independent brand and it affected the machine you would have to pay for it.   :o

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
I noticed that beautiful quilting too, and wondered whether it was done "freehand" or not. :) It would be lovely to think I could produce something like that as FMQ is not an option for me. :devil:

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 20:51:18 PM »
This video tutorial for an example of embroidery quilting with a continuous (or edge-to-edge) design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUY0rw4crkc
This one is a demo of a magnetic hoop https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=wCTgzIrZj_g

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 21:31:58 PM »
I think I need magnetic hoops now...

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 22:11:21 PM »
I think I have one but not used it yet.  :o

Morgan

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 23:51:55 PM »
hahaha Bodge, I just wish that they made a Dime magnetic hoop for the machine I have now (Janome 15000), sadly they don't.  I've downsized to one embroidery machine which feels really weird. 
If I am ever in the market for another single needle embroidery machine then it's possibly one of the few reasons that I'd consider getting a Brother ( . . . and I've never been a Brother girl . . . ) - although I think I'll get a multi-needle rather than another single needle.