The Sewing Place

Imineis very own Halloween-a-scream-a-quiltalongathon

Manuela

Re: Imineis very own Halloweenascreamaquitalongathon
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2019, 01:18:55 AM »
Love, love, love the spider - that group doesn't know what they are missing! Similar to Brenda, Halloween isn't really my thing, but I'm very much looking forward to what you are creating here.

Sakar

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2019, 07:36:17 AM »
They have thrown you or of that project because you want to use charms??  :o And they do not give you a refund????? :S -<

How stubborn people can be???????????? :angry:

But your reaction is great Iminei  ;) And you spider block is much more better than theirs!!!  :loveit:

Keep going!!!!  <3

rubywishes

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2019, 07:45:43 AM »
Your spider is fabulous and your resolve even moreso! :toast: My second glass of red tonight is in your honour! :toast:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 07:50:42 AM »
She hasnt thrown me out per se ....
just turned off my ability to post anything within the group because I've been such a bad, bad girl!

I bought the spider pattern, most of the rest are free, but that was from the person who first ran the pattern ... this girl has decided she is Lord of all she surveys but there doesn't seem to be  much guidance from her ... as the complete pattern is already out there people are, as people do, jumping ahead and making blocks ... like me!

There is an absolutely glorious Ring of Coffins pattern for a couple of £ ... that is divine! Based on Dresden Plates ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 08:53:39 AM »

There is an absolutely glorious Ring of Coffins pattern for a couple of £ ... that is divine! Based on Dresden Plates ?

If it's based on Dresden plates then you should be able to reverse-engineer it.  Even without seeing it I'm pretty sure it will only be down to the shape of the outside petals and probably cutting the inside end of the petals down so that each one is coffin shaped.

Just draw one of those petals, use a protractor or a wedge ruler to get the angle accurate, add the quarter inch seam allowance all round and that's it.  Use two standard hexagonal pencils taped together, use one to trace the stitchig line and the other will automatically draw the cutting line.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 10:53:10 AM »

Just wish I had some 'interesting' faces to put inside!

They suggest sewing them onto cardboard templates ... ok ... but how do you remove the cardboard afterwards????
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:57:26 AM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 10:54:47 AM »
You could print out a selection of our avatars and use transfer paper!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 14:40:23 PM »
You could print out a selection of our avatars and use transfer paper!

Iminei

Re: Imineis very own Halloweenascreamaquiltalongathon
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 15:26:57 PM »
Oh I am loving that!!!!!!

RJR_38

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 21:43:05 PM »

Just wish I had some 'interesting' faces to put inside!

They suggest sewing them onto cardboard templates ... ok ... but how do you remove the cardboard afterwards????

I would do it like EPP Iminei. They have obviously thread basted theirs but I would glue it - sewline glue works the best if you have it. Otherwise any cheap washable Pritt stick will be fine.

Those faces have all come from the Alexander Henry fabric range. I love the quirkiness of their fabrics and have often been tempted to buy them but have refrained as I couldn’t think of a use for them.

Iminei

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2019, 08:18:44 AM »
But how do you get the cardboard template out after sewing/glueing the shapes down?

BrendaP

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »
If it's a wall hanging leaving the card in will probably leave the 'coffins' looking more boxlike, but if it's a quilt to be used conventionally use paper so that you can tear it out before making the sandwich.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »
Back in the dim and distant past I seem to remember my pal sewing around wee pieces of paper but not 'to' them. She sort of folded the fabric over the back and stitched the corners to hold it until she had joined the bits together.
The paper template then just slipped out and was reusable.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2019, 10:14:20 AM »
That's how I do EPP
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
I have come to a realisation and a decision ....

1) I LOATHE foundation paper piecing  ... Its messy, its wasteful and its tedious! 3 things which have led to me deciding that

2) I will applique the rest of this quilt.

This is the last (partly) paper pieced block I shall make in this quilt

Frustrated by the mess, time and waste I appliqued the stopper and again I have padded the potion ... I think I will continue to do that!