The Sewing Place

Burda 6972

annieeg

Burda 6972
« on: July 29, 2019, 09:48:19 AM »
I've almost finished this UFO, which I'm reasonably pleased with. 
https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/bd6972#.XT6v4XmotPY

However, the front closure is a little awkward because its show a little too much cleavage for my liking but I think I can do a work around by possibly carefully meeting the centre opening and sew some stretch lace on the inside to hold the edges together which would make it easier to pull on and off (its an overhead dress with no side or back opening).

My main problem now is that I did not narrow the shoulders when I cut it out so the shoulder seam is 2 cms too long and the sleeve head falls over to my upper arm.
Can I remove the sleeve head, and reposition it to the shoulder seam at the top by 2 cms (leaving the sleeve head seam as usual 1.5cm) and "grade" the seam around the front and back down to normal 1.5 though to the armpit?
(I don't know if I've explained that clearly or not.)
Alternative is I can put 2 cm dart in the middle of the shoulder seams on front and back pieces which would lift the sleeve head?

Any ideas, anyone?
Annie

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Burda 6972
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 10:19:03 AM »
For the front opening, could you add some buttons and button loops to the edge?  Or a zip?
For the sleeve, I'd try just what you said of taking bigger seam allowance off the bodice, without cutting it off in case it does work.  Try pinning the sleeve head in and see if it goes round.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 10:22:18 AM »
I have put darts in the shoulder before to lift the sleeve head. It works quite well.

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 11:04:55 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper
the edges are bound with self-Bias so there's already a bit of bulk on the front opening which makes me reluctant to add rouleau loops or a zip.
I'm beginning to like the stretch lace modesty panel idea.  I'll try a piece on some scraps and see if it works.
I'll try and post a pic when I've done a sample.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »
@annieeg looking closely at the pattern model, it looks to me as if her seams fall below the shoulder point too, on the dress anyway. My Angela Wolf Linda tunic was designed like that - not sure if Im a fan of that feature. Either way, you may still want to alter it of course.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:08:10 PM by Vezelay »