The Sewing Place

Coat - comfy or elegant? or flashy?

datcat23

Coat - comfy or elegant? or flashy?
« on: July 29, 2019, 13:11:48 PM »
Hey everyone, welcome to my inner thoughts.  Its messy, and indecisive. 

I have this beautiful fabric:  its been in the stash for ages, and I have quite forgotten what its made from.  Its a slightly fluffy texture on the outside, faintly check in the pattern, a mix of blues and pinks.  Very me.  But it may be a wool, or a synthetic copy ..... its snuggly and soft.  I know that much.
2019-07-29_09-57-05 by Dani, on Flickr

And my choices:   ETA - apologies everyone, I should have said.  The three designs below are all Bootstrap Patterns.

comfy:  I like this one for the comfy, but not overhwelming collar, the knee length, and the slight emphasis on the waistline.

elegant:  This one seems more "work friendly".  The dotted line I think is a hidden placket, I like the two part sleeves, and those beautiful darts. 

flashy:  this has raglan sleeves, and I think would suit the softness of the fabric.  Not keen on the two piece collar (laziness mind, not lack of skill), and I have nowhere near that trim a waist, but the flare of the skirt is appealing.

So lets hear some opinions.  To give you an idea, I work in a school office, and its likely this coat would most be worn over work clothes on the way to work.  I would love to know which design you think might suit me and the fabric. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 22:35:27 PM by datcat23 »
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Coat - comfy or elegant? or flashy?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 13:14:29 PM »
The first one with the lovely collar, and what lovely fabric that is!

fajita

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 13:18:02 PM »
Beautiful fabric, and I like the first pattern. The neck is very winter friendly.
Cosy looking.

The second pattern is also nice, but a bit more formal than wearing to and from the office.

The third pattern, an ok pattern. No feelings either way on it.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 13:20:35 PM »
Number 2 for me.

The fabric is absolutely lovely and the simple lines of of the second coat will show it off to great advantage.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 13:25:52 PM »
Faaaaabulous fabric. I love the second pattern and the colours are exactly the sort of thing I’d wear too.  :)

May I ask what the second pattern is please?

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 13:27:15 PM »
I'm with Ellabella - she said exactly what I was thinking.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 13:43:13 PM »
If you don't know what the fabric content is, pull out a selection of threads and burn them with a match. At the most basic level wool will smell like hair burning, most man-made will make a plastic blob. You can find out more from your friend Mr Google if you want more precision.

I think 1 or 2 would suit the fabric you describe. Depends how cosy you like to feel - personally I like something 'enclosing' for a coat though would find that funnel neck type collar a bit uh-oh. Probably because they don't suit me!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 16:59:44 PM by FloBear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 15:22:34 PM »
No 1

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 15:40:00 PM »
Dani just love the fabric - my colours too!!!!  Coat number two, but you would need something around the neck, may be fill in with a lovely scarf.  You mention the two part sleeves, oh that is a lovely sleeve and so comfortable to wear, and is relatively easy to create or to borrow that sleeve from another pattern that you have.

A few years ago there was the most beautiful knitting yarn from Elle called Sensual  - yes I am not joking, this was man made and the yarn had long silky  furry hairs, and you just knitted this in a plain knit stitch and the long fur just appeared both sides and you could stroke it is really was just delicious. two to three balls and a pair of needles - I cannot get at my knitting needles but I would say medium thick.  This scarf could be knitted up extremely quickly and looked luxurious. 

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 16:14:24 PM »
One or Two for me.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Fiona M

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 16:49:13 PM »
I like pattern No 1 best.  The collar is good for winter chills.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 17:12:39 PM »
No 1 for me
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 17:51:49 PM »
All nice but prefer 2 then 1.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ros

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 18:24:09 PM »
2 for me but agree with Fran that it really depends on your body type. I think Im 20 years from my last belted coat/mistake. If you want swing how about a non-waisted type? I've got a How to do Fashion coat (No 4?) on my to do pile for that shape.  If you can try similar shapes on in a shop might help narrow it down

Kate S

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 18:56:16 PM »
I like the first one best, but that's probably because it would suit my body type the best.

If you want to find out if the fabric is wool, put a small piece of it in chlorine bleach.  Any wool will dissolve fairly quickly.  It would also dissolve hair fibers.