The Sewing Place

Coat - comfy or elegant? or flashy?

Efemera

Re: Coat - comfy or elegant? or flashy?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 19:10:39 PM »
If it’s soft and snuggly maybe something less structured... more of a lined coatigan.

Nevis5

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 21:10:56 PM »
No 2 is my favourite because it would suit me :)  I'm not keen on funnel necks as my own neck is very short and I look like Shrek in them.  I like the third view but don't need the fullness of the skirt on me.  But I do love the fabric; it's gorgeous, lovely colours and it looks so soft.

Hmm, I guess I've been no help at all  :S  sorry, Dani xx

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 21:23:57 PM »
1 will be warm in the winter wind.  2 will be elegant but you'll want to block the gaping draught with a scarf, which may spoil the effect.  3 to me is a bit run of the mill rather than flashy.  I'd do 1 for comfort in the winter and 2 in a slightly lighter wool for spring/autumn formal wear.  I could see it in a gorgeous mauve/lilac wool for a spring wedding - mmmmm!

Morgan

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 22:35:17 PM »
For your bodyshape - no 2. because there is no waist seam to cut the body in half and no belt.  Set in sleeve which will work better with your shoulder shape.  However, you'd need to take a view on whether you kept the cutaway front hemline. 
or No.3 with the funnel neck again because of the set in sleeve which works well with your shoulder shape.  Although there is a waistline, it looks like an illusion waist line which elongates the body. The princess line bodice is a really good choice because it gives more fitting options and it's definitely the most straight forward for the FBA for a larger cup size.  It's good to have the pockets and. 
The collar can be as deep or shallow as you wish or could be left off altogether. 

For your bodyshape, and shoulder shaping, the raglan sleeves, belted waist and deep V neck with wide lapels may not be the most flattering.  If you particularly like this style, how about trying on a couple in the shops (or op shops) to see whether the style looks good on you.

Re the fabric, if it's soft and floppy then it's well worth block fusing with a good quality lightweight interfacing (especially if you are going to make the coat using dressmaking techniques rather than either of the main tailoring approaches).  If you don't interface the fabric then within a short time it will distort, bag out and generally not hold the shape. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 17:48:54 PM by Morgan »

datcat23

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 22:36:29 PM »
Faaaaabulous fabric. I love the second pattern and the colours are exactly the sort of thing I’d wear too.  :)

May I ask what the second pattern is please?

Apologies everyone ...... @WildAtlanticWay .... all three patterns are from Bootstrap Fashions.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Missie

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 11:10:15 AM »
Fabulous Fabric.  Pattern no 1 gets my vote.  Its high-necked (cannot bear a wind down my neck); its modern in style and can be dressy or not depending on the fabric and what else you wear it with.

The other 2 are a bit meh, but that maybe down to my styling and they are not something I would go for!

Esme866

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 19:04:17 PM »
Definitely #2 ! Gorgeous pattern and less cumbersome for in and out of the car.

No waistline is great. #1 would require a lengthy neck (which I don't have) to be comfortable.

Love the fabric. Reminds me of some silk blends I've seen.

mums sewing machine

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2019, 14:50:20 PM »
One for me and that fabric is gorgeous x
What did you decide in the end @datcat23 ? x
No such thing as too much fabric

datcat23

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2019, 22:47:42 PM »
One for me and that fabric is gorgeous x
What did you decide in the end @datcat23 ? x

I bought the pattern for number 1, and then summer started, and I put the fabric back in the cupboard for next year.  We have gone straight to 30 degree days, so definitely won't need a warm coat until next year. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 10:59:56 AM »
I love number 2 but it doesn't have any overwrap due to the sexy hem shaping. Lovely fabric. No 1 is second choice for me.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 05:15:52 AM »
If I may. knowing nothing at all about this, but ...

Unless you have the neck of a graceful swan ... No to No:1

No: 3 will make you look like a slightly mad version of Columbo

But Yes, Yes Yes to No: 2

Just the opinion of an average Joe with no knowledge of garment making at all ....

( Exuent stage left pursued by Lightsiders )

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 09:03:37 AM »
Hi Dani
I've made a few simple coats and jackets now out of a variety of fabrics.
Very soft fabrics are snuggly but don't sew well into complex details. If the weave is loose it makes it particularly tricky.
I can't really tell from your picture how loose the weave is. This is particularly tricky for collar/revers but also for

The tall collar of number 1 is unlikely to look like that in a soft fabric unless you interface it aggressively and then it won't be soft anymore. I agree with Iminei that to wear it like that needs a long neck.
I'm not familiar with your figure but the coat styles you have picked seem to be for different bodyshapes.

So I suppose if I was making a coat from this fabric I'd have 2 main questions
- what techniques will work best with this fabric
- what styles will flatter my bodyshape