The Sewing Place

Indigo dyed quilt beginning

LeilaMay

Indigo dyed quilt beginning
« on: July 29, 2019, 18:08:45 PM »
My next adventure, from a blog post that someone linked to - I'm so sorry I can't remember who first posted it

https://vickymyerscreations.co.uk/sewing-2/diy-shibori-quilt-transform-old-duvet-covers/

I am using white cotton sheeting via a friend at a charity shop, and here's my first steps  :)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

Re: Indigo dyed quilt beginning
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 18:52:10 PM »
OMG ... you ARE Kidding me!!!!

You dyed those fab squares yourself????

I am in AWE!

Go Leila!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 19:18:12 PM »
Oh wow, you can have some fun with those.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 19:26:16 PM »
Yes indeed, much fun I hope. There's still quite  lot of dye in the vat I think, so I may dye some pilow case lengths tomorrow.

Dyeing is easy Imi - messy but straightforward. I did a bit on my C&G, I grew dye plants in the garden - Woad, Madder, something with orange flowers I can't remember, and then had a couple of dyes dyeing all sorts of stuff, with a couple of college friends from my course. And lots of coffee and cake too I remember, and laughing :)

But yes, a good start on the quilt front. (I dyed a sheet for the back with chemical dye, as I wasn't sure the vat would stretch to that much fabric)

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 19:49:56 PM »
Wowee!  That look fabulous!! You're having fun with that. I would love it.  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 20:15:23 PM »
Wowee!  That look fabulous!! You're having fun with that. I would love it.  :) :vintage:

You can buy the dye pack via Amazon - although it came from the States so took a little while. You need a BIG bucket, at least one little bucket, rubber gloves. It's really not hard, just messy. Have a go  :)

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 20:38:17 PM »
I've done lots of tie dyeing but not for some years
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 21:09:28 PM »
I've done lots of tie dyeing but not for some years

Me too, usually with little people. 

Your indigo dyeing looks fab, @LeilaMay .  Looking forward to seeing your quilt.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 22:46:50 PM »
Lots of mine was done in the classroom too @Pearl  Also batik  with wax, and lino type  printing . The children's were sometimes better than mine  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 12:17:20 PM »
Glad of the good memories this is producing :)

Today I've dyed the plain pieces for the sashing, a couple of sections to be made into pillow cases, and re-dyed the least successful pieces from yesterday (by folding and tying into slightly different shapes and so adding extra lines and deeper colour).
Thre's still some dye left I should think, but haven't anything that needs to go blue - but I could go on the hunt and see what I can magic up tomorrow  :)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

KayK

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 12:57:20 PM »
Well, it's making me feel very nostalgic, they are so lovely.  I will admit when I first saw your photo of them wrapped ready to be dyed, I thought some of the square ones were bars of chocolate...............

I might need my eyes testing again.....idiot!!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

maliw

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 14:59:40 PM »
Your neighbours will wonder what you are up to ;)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 16:29:58 PM »
Leilas neighbours will be jealous of both the fabric and the result!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

LeilaMay

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 16:45:15 PM »
Been a bit slow on this, as other things had cropped up - but here are some of the squares and short sashes stitched, and hung with a long sash draped down to see what it looks like  :)  And the machine I'm assembling this top on - how decadent to have a different machine for each quilt so far LOL.

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 17:11:44 PM »
Looking good @LeilaMay  I like the machine it's the same as the one I bought recently.  How do you manage putting a new bulb in it? I am struggling  ><  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)