The Sewing Place

PLU and Fleece? Advice on fabrics please!

Roger

PLU and Fleece? Advice on fabrics please!
« on: July 30, 2019, 23:26:57 PM »
Hi,
I’m thinking of starting a new project! I want to make a ‘dry robe’ these are basically a waterproof/wind proof shell with a warm/absorbent layer inside. The manufacturers are exorbitant and don’t recommend regular washing, which seems a bit rubbish as they’re best for after wet/muddy sports, dog walking and the like and be of a size that is possible to change in too. So I figured I could do better, especially as I’d made similar before out of grey military blankets and a natural cotton liner with a roughly buffer jacket style.

I thought maybe a prosoft PLU outer as it’s tough, waterproof and good for washing, then coupling it up with bamboo fleece? I’m looking for a luxurious feel but also practical and warm. The original dryrobes have like a shag pile fleece in them, but tbh I’m not sure my machines will handle that easily, or that I want all that bulk.

Any advise or suggestions gratefully received!

Thank you

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

BrendaP

Re: PLU and Fleece? Advice on fabrics please!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:10:46 AM »
How waterproof do you need it to be?  Ripstop nylon mught be more comfortable than PUL.

Bamboo fleece would be a good choice to go with it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 13:41:35 PM »
How about soft shell fleece, light but wonderfully warm and cosy.

It’s showerproof not fully waterproof, but it’s very difficult to make a handmade item fully waterproof anyway.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 19:44:20 PM »
Thank you Brenda and Ellabella.

The big attraction of PUL especially the prosoft is it’s washable-ness but it’s definitely worth checking ripstop is there a variety you would recommend? As I usually find it a bit stiff.

I was a bit concerned about going pure fleece, as it’ll probably end up pretty voluminous and long (they’re almost like a cross between a dressing gown and trench coat) I thought the weight might be too much for pure fleece without a external reinforcing layer.

In terms of showers to survive, it’s the British weather.... who knows?

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 23:13:17 PM »
I've only used ripstop for fold-away shopping bags, but I've had two different types, some of it is coated, so I presume a bit more waterproof, but also a bit stiffer.  After a fair amount of use the coating started to flake and look a bit tatty but I don't suppose it would come to that in a changing robe.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 17:58:05 PM »
Have a look at Pennine Outdoor https://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/

They have an excellent range, and are very helpful if you email them and tell them about the garment you want to make. They advised me when I was looking for a waterproof fabric and inner fleece for a dog coat.
Procrastination get behind me

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 19:45:20 PM »
There's also Point North For outdoor fabrics.
I'd be looking for a ripstop or lightweight waterproof.

Would you need the lining to be absorbent?  Fleece won't be, although I don't know about bamboo fleece...

Roger

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 23:18:48 PM »
Thanks all,

Thats really useful - I have flashed up the websites for a rummage :) nothing like a little shopping.

I might try a raglan sleeve to help reduce the number of seams, reckon theres going to be so flat felling going on too.. at least it doesnt need to be a fitted item of clothing :) just a nod in the right sizing...

Thank you Jesster, sounds like a similar construction to what I have in mind, the drying aspect might be a pain. Whats the texture of the PUL like?

Actually Bodge - I think you're right the lining doesn't need to be absorbent, just warm and insulating. So if you've stepped out of a shower (warm) in a field and the the day is cool/British you throw it on over your trunks and go back to your tent. Being absorbent would probably interfere with the warmth.

Thank you all, I'm really appreciating your wisdom.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 23:33:22 PM by Roger »

fajita

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 23:42:36 PM »
Big poncho shape - few seams.

Roger

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 21:22:30 PM »
Fajita - youre so right, last time I based it on a semi circle with arms and a hood and the front overlapped got rid of a lot of seams and no drafts :)

Jesster - I think you're right about the weight - it might end up too hefty.. I think a departure to a more technical fabric might be the right route, just need to find one thats washable :)