The Sewing Place

Steaming,tacking first tutu skirt

smileabit

Steaming,tacking first tutu skirt
« on: August 01, 2019, 18:06:55 PM »
Hi! I just finished attaching all the net to my first tutu skirt for my daughter and it IS a big poofball as promised. The next step is supposed to be steaming and tacking . I don’t have a steamer, is that done with an iron? How? Any tips on the tacking would be really appreciated.  So glad to find this forum!
sewing for ballet, gymnastics, and ballroom

eclectic

Re: Steaming,tacking first tutu skirt
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 20:25:11 PM »
Hi there @smileabit  .... I learnt how to tack from the instructions from Suzanne (Tutusthatdance) and Dani .. and then I recently took a webinar from Travis (Halsey Onstage) which you can watch as many times äs you want and learnt a fab. And diffrent way to tack. Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable just telling you what they taught me but I can definitely recommend their techniques and instructions (and they even say how without a steamer)

Lollipop

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 21:47:25 PM »
I agree with @eclectic that we can't share what is taught on courses but we can offer a bit of advice. Tacking and steaming isn't as easy as people think so some instruction is well worth the money.
If you use your iron, don't touch the net with the iron just hold it near so that the steam flows onto the net (watch your hands!!). If you don't want to steam, pull pleats into place and tack, then press under a weight (a large piece of hardboard or very thick cardboard then weight such as books on top) to flatten.
Personally, I like Travis' tacking method and it is well worth the cost of the webinar. You can also join Tutu Education online for about £35 a month and watch loads of videos as often as you need to. There's no minimum term and you can cancel whenever you like. I have been tutu making for about 4 years now and regularly refer to the online videos and webinars as a refresher.
Was Sewnanny

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 09:45:55 AM »
smileabit, which pattern & instructions did you use?  Suzanne's & Dani's instructions are well worth purchasing.  I learned to make stretch tutus from the no longer available treasure trove of tutu construction on The Sewing Forum ( The Place's previous site) - mostly contributed by Dani, Suzanne & many other experienced & talented tutu makers.  Yes, I purchased Dani's patterns and instructions but most of the instructions were already on the site but spread across a multitude of threads - I'm certain that I read and made notes on them all.  This site gives a good and probably clearer instructions than I could manage Tutu Tacking.  I would recommend steaming even with an iron but be careful not to melt the netting or burn yourself.  Steam on a flat surface.  If she's patient, I would suggest getting your daughter to wear the tutu while you tack.  She needs to stand properly.  You can manipulate how it sits and she can hold the top layers out of the way.  The rule of thumb regarding bounce is that when she stops, the tutu stops.  I suggest getting her to jump on occasion to make sure that the tutu is behaving as wanted - and adding more tacks if necessary.  The tutu should slope down slightly to cover the pants.  I used upholstry thread that matched the net.  I used individual hand tied tacks - it takes a long time.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

smileabit

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 03:04:07 AM »
hi again and hank you for all the replies! I had to put the project down for a bit but am ready to tackle it again.  @MitchOfTheNorth I purchased the pattern from tutus that dance (I think it is Dani’s Pattern) and there are some instructions for tacking with a gun but I will probably try at least some by hand first.  Thank you for the resources I will be back again with my progress!

smileabit

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 03:10:01 AM »
Oh my that tutu tacking website is perfect! It definitely looks like this step will take a long time.....

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 13:56:01 PM »
smileabit, how goes the tacking?
Stashbusting 2022

smileabit

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 16:26:10 PM »
Finished!

Thank you for everyone (especially @MitchOfTheNorth , @Lollipop, and @eclectic)  who contributed help for my first tutu skirt.  My daughter loves it.  She got to wear it to ballet class this week because they had a Halloween dress up day, complete with a headband and arm bands with some glued on white feathers she helped with, and a white leotard I had made much earlier.  After reading the tutu tacking website mentioned above, there was a big delay as school started, I hem-ed and hawed over buying a steamer (which I eventually did, and am so pleased with it for this and other projects), and then tacked it by hand over a few evenings. It took some practice to tie knots that did not slip. I did just the final layer while my daughter was wearing it, otherwise I borrowed one of her stuffed bears to "wear it" while I was working, as my dress form was way too big!    I used a 3" needle by dritz ("soft sculpture doll"), and single strands of white embroidery thread for the tacking. I learned so much with this project.   I changed my profile pic so you can see it on her! 

ps. I had worried that I would need a hoop, and was pleased to see that tacking alone made it stand up and out quite enough for this practice tutu! 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 16:35:28 PM by smileabit »

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 07:38:53 AM »
Well done, smileabit!  Her tutu looks great.  I'm glad she's excited to wear it.
Stashbusting 2022

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 11:40:46 AM »
Oh well done - that'll be the first of many. Once the costume bug bites, you stay bitten!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

smileabit

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 16:33:28 PM »
Thank you!!

:) my grand plan was to try with no pressure, so in the future I would know whether I could / would want to make the real thing if she really needed one.  It is fun! This was just the “bones” of a tutu, the next step would be one with a bodice and plate.... how hard can that part be ;) ?

smileabit

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 16:40:40 PM »
if anyone is curious, I made 1 modification: both the top layer and bottom 2 layers are soft tulle, while the layers in between are stiff net. this is because she didn’t like the feeling of the net (scratchy) close to her skin.  The effect is nice, the top layer floats a bit more, and the skirt still seems stiff enough.  There were 7 layers total.

Lollipop

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 19:14:01 PM »
Well done @smileabit that looks brilliant. You have done really well and I would never have known there wasn't a hoop!
Trimming the last layer fairly close to stitching can help alleviate scratching.
It is very addictive as Catlar says - I've no doubt that there will be more. There are a couple of Fb sites that you might find useful. Message me if you want details  ;)
Was Sewnanny

smileabit

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 16:09:38 PM »
@Lollipop messaged you!  I wanted to add a hoop but in the end didn't find good instructions for building the casing. A project for next time -- I will have to get the next size up full tutu pattern i think!