The Sewing Place

"Fat quarter panic"

rubywishes

"Fat quarter panic"
« on: April 20, 2017, 08:25:25 AM »
Have you ever felt it? You know, that feeling of just missing out on that last piece of perfect fabric?

There I was...I'd had a ratty day at work and was just "zenning out" at the local big name fabric/craft store.  i didn't really need anything, just felt I needed some brain wandering time before going home and launching into household tasks and reality in general.  So I was just flicking through the "bargain crate" when a couple of pieces caught my eye...so pretty, so versatile, so nice and ..mmmmmmm crisp...and new and......(zenning out quite nicely at this point  :loveit:) . Well, what the heck, I'll buy them; they're cheap and will come in handy.  And then....like a vision from above, (and no, no alcohol had been consumed at that stage...gimme a break, it was only 3.30 in the afternoon) I suddenly had this complete picture in my head of how I was going to do my second attempt at the mystery quilt...it was all there......so glorious...even the maths was clicking into place in my foggy little brain!

I made a bee line for the fat quarter sale bin...yes, yes, it was all coming together......2 of those sewn together would equal a half metre.....now 1 of those ones, if I cut it in half widthways and then sew it to its partner will make a 1/4 metre.........heart rate is up a bit, eyes are glazing over with excitement, work bag is cumbersome on my shoulder and getting in the way when I lean down to rummage through bin. But it's okay at this point...my objectives are clear, my colours and shading choices coming together nicely.

And then like a visit from hell another woman comes over, eyes similarly glazed, and she's clutching some fabrics that look very similar to my little handful...and she's starting to rummage.....and suddenly it's a race...and it quickly moves from a polite smile and exchange of pleasantries to  wide sweeping arm movements and strategic work bag placement (ie, blocking the intruders' view). She has the advantage though...she's lithe, she can lean further into the bin and she has sharp finger nails good for snaffling up partially hidden fat quarter corners that look "oh so possibly THE colour I need"!!!

It got fast, it got furious, it even got a bit, gulp, undignified as we waged battle against each other and the unruly, overflowing fat quarter sale bin but at last I emerged dishevelled but happily clutching exactly what I needed!  Smiling gaily I paid for my purchases and drove home.....ratty work day forgotten and even a tea plan worked out to feed Mr.Ruby. Win all round!!

Until..................later that evening over a cup of tea I perused my little bag of fabric. What's this? Oh no......in my "fat quarter panic" and "showdown" with "lithe woman" I had accidentally picked up the wrong fat quarter!

Guess where I had to go first thing this morning....to do battle at the fat quarter sale bin!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:28:56 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Vegegrow

Re: "Fat quarter panic"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »
Oh Ruby you do make me smile   0_0 0_0  next time you should take your hidden  :ninja:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:10:07 AM »
And...????

aaanndd...Did you get the right one???

For Gods sake don't leave us just hanging!!!!  :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
I was on the shop door front at "sparow f--t", sweaty palmed clutching my errant fat quarter. The lady at the register was very nice but shop policy requires you to fill out a 90 page quesstionnaire (well, I exagerate just a touch here :[) and show 37 different proofs of identity (yes, exagerating again, I know  ><) before you can swap your purchase...well goodness me, it cost all of $2.00 (AUS) afterall!!!!

So, forms finally filled out I headed to the fat quarter sale bin, my eyes darting left and right on the wary lookout for any competition and ready to break out into a slightly embarrassing run/jog if need be! The gods were with me.....my little fat quarter was still there and it was with great aplomb and relief that I grabbed it. And so my number 3 fabric for the Mystery Quilt is now officially mine and designated. Phew! Pass me a  :toast:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
:D <3 :toast: :D <3 :toast:never try to thwart a Ruby on a mission  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 12:16:33 PM »
Bravo Rubes Bravo !!!!!

Phew, I think I'll join you...

Chin Chin :toast:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lantana

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 16:11:12 PM »
Very well done Ruby.  PHEW <3

That was a great piece of writing .... I think you should submit it to one of the quilting magazines if you haven't already.   :)

L :vintage:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 18:22:15 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 17:02:49 PM »
Lanty's right Rubes, it made great reading... but...may I be so bold as to ask.......if it was only 2$ ( about £1.20 according to Mr Google ) why did you bother with the faff of returning it? ( apart from entertaining us with your exploits ) Why not just keep it and buy an extra fq  :o ??
Anyhoo.. I'm jealous of how well your fabrics go together. I'm not pleased with mine as they are all a similar tone  -<
P.S. You couldn't get a fq here for anywhere near that price...sale or no sale

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 17:03:30 PM »
Brilliantly written, I felt for you all the way! I did chuckle too  0_0.  Glad you managed to get the FQ you wanted. 
Willing but not always able :)

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 23:12:08 PM »

Hey Lowie:
When the fat quarters are on sale you have to buy a bunch...if you just buy one it costs the normal price of about $5.00. I didn't want to pay full price for a fat quarter that I could get cheaply if only I had been paying attention in the first place. Of course I put all the blame squarely on my competitor who had me "rattled" and in "survival mode" at the time!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 23:17:30 PM by rubywishes »

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 10:42:47 AM »
Oh, Gotcha  :D and it was definitely the other woman's fault....I hope her fqs clash  :D