The Sewing Place

Treadle find.....may end up mine!

rubywishes

Treadle find.....may end up mine!
« on: August 02, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »
At work today, up on a top floor, tucked away in a corner, I stumbled upon an unwanted Singer treadle in a cabinet, its serial number indicating it is a 201 from 1949. It's been converted to motor and the belt is rotten and in pieces and the cabinet has seen much jollier times. I'm not sure of the general condition of the machine as I was reluctant to set it up for a look as it isn't mine to handle. On inquiry later in the day I was able to find out that it had been gifted to the Nursing Home but they had never gotten around to cleaning it up or displaying it. My inquiry prompted reconsideration of the machine and I believe it is now destined for the Memory Support Unit ( once it is made safe, ie needle removed). I have been told that if it proves to be unsuitable for the residents there then I may be able to have it.....to have it! I'm very excited as it would be a nice piece to sit next to my other "old girls". I really don't have the time these days to do anymore restoring but I just couldn't leave this unloved. I do feel a bit conflicted though as it would be nice to see it provide memories and pleasure for the residents but.....but.....
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

BrendaP

Re: Treadle find.....may end up mine!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 12:18:09 PM »
I suggest that if they need to remove the needle to make it safe then they also have to remove any belt so that fingers can't get trapped,  and that surely would render the machine useless.  It would be much safer in your capable hands.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rubywishes

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 12:23:08 PM »
@BrendaP , the belt is rotten and in pieces in the bottom of the cabinet  :'( so no risk to fingers there. And quite frankly, I think it is probably in such a sorry state that it may be deemed "unsightly" for display. All the more reasons to pass it over to me. I hear that the 201 is a fabulous machine so it would be nice to get it going again and see how it sews. I also noticed a large amount of sewing bits and pieces in the drawers....would love too have a poke through all that too!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 06:45:46 AM »
Obviously there is a slight conflict of interests because you need waaaaaant it but I would have thought that as an experienced sewist and lover of sewing things, you should be the expert to whom they turn for advice. Don't leave the decision to someone who knows nothing of these important matters.  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

rubywishes

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »
Obviously there is a slight conflict of interests because you need waaaaaant it but I would have thought that as an experienced sewist and lover of sewing things, you should be the expert to whom they turn for advice. Don't leave the decision to someone who knows nothing of these important matters.  :ninja:
@wrenkins ahhhhh wrenkins, I am but a lowly bottom dweller at the Nursing home where I work and everyone always knows more and better than me :\  I had a quick looksie today and the machine hasn't been moved from its' dark little corner and I doubt it may ever actually happen. My hands are tied until someone of authority extracts a digit and acts on their grand plan.

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »
She's mine, she's mine, she's mine! I collected her from work today and have already taken her out of the cabinet so we can start sprucing her up.
Oh she is just lovely...a 1949 201K treadle converted to a motor and pedal. Her paperclip decals are sharp and intact, her black enamel has minimal scratches and signs of wear and apart from the "usual" clean up I think upon first inspection it will just be her tension assembly beehive spring that will need replacing. But, I've been down this road with my other old girls so I'm thrilled to be heading off on the journey again. The cabinet is pretty beat up; will need to be sanded back and re-varnished as it has seen better days.
The pics are pretty woeful as the one of the cabinet was taken inside the maintenance cupboard at work where I managed to secrete it for a week. Oh I just love her already and am thrilled that she has come to live with me instead of languishing unloved and forgotten.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:47:51 AM by rubywishes »

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 12:25:41 PM »
Well done Rubywishes, she looks beautiful.  How on earth can anyone get a cabinet in that state, and I know you will have great joy in cleaning this up and making it look presentable as well as tinkering with the machine and replacing any parts that need to be sorted.  Have you looked at all the bits and pieces in the drawers yet?

You have just whetted my appetite for a treadle, only the type of treadle base I would love to have is a black wrought/cast iron one - perhaps one day.

Enjoy your new machine.

datcat23

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »
I know exactly how a 201, can get into this sort of state, because its roughly the state my latest girl was in. 

Our elderly friend was downsizing, and my husband was helping him clear out his garage.  Trapped in there, amongst cartons of books and stuff, that they hadn't unpacked in over a decade before, was this cabinet.  Our friend had forgotten it was there .... a 201, converted to electric, in an unsealed shed, covered in possum shit and grime.  It belonged to his late wife, her mother's machine.  Bought from new, converted in the 60's or so, banished to the shed when a new one came along.  I said no at first.  She was filthy, and my love affair is mostly with manual machines.  He tried listing it, but no bites.  So he practically begged hubby to take it, not wanting to take it to the dump shop.  When it arrived I refused to bring it indoors it was so dirty.  I took three buckets of hot water and sugar soap to clean the cabinet.  And then two coats of beeswax  (it needs more).  The machine is serviced now, but its tucked away for now, trapped behind the extra couch that my daughter bought, waiting until she moves out of home. 

These machines come to us, because they know we will love them.  Simple. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 13:15:11 PM »
@Elnnina Yep, I have a 1917 wrought iron treadle that I restored and have sewn cushion covers for each of my grandchildren on it.  Alas, the bits and pieces in the drawers of this one were just rubbish apart from 4 bobbins and 6 feet.

@datcat23   How true that these machines find us. In the last few months I have been offered one other treadle, and seen another gorgeous one for sale in a local op shop (for $300 mind you :o) but neither of them pulled at me the way this one did. It was meant to be, plain and simple....and now it is home.

Stew Rowe

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 06:57:15 AM »
Hello Rubywishes,    I agree that these things are meant to find us willing souls.  I am not sure exactly why I agreed to take my Grandad's old Singer machine but I did 20 years ago and have just finished refurbishing him (the machine ... not Grandad) after it sat for 20 years in my shed.

It is such a buzz to take something old and forgotten, and unused for an age, and clean and repair and fettle, and then see them singing again .... best of luck restoring her.

Wychall

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 17:39:40 PM »
Beware! I'm sure they breed! I stored a cased 99 in my loft many years ago. When I went to get it down for my daughter there was also a 28 and a 66 up there.

My daughter announced that she wanted a treadle so I acquired a 201 in a treadle desk. I stripped, cleaned and refurbed both the machine and the desk and then the bug bit. Later that week, ebay sourced a Jones Spool machine in a mahogany treadle cabinet (1897!) but when I went to collect it I also came away with another 28 and 99,both hand crank. That cabinet, fully refurbed, now houses my Singer 6104. Now, a month down the line, I have just bought a 66 in a treadle cabinet (Singer 34). The machine is now finished and I'm up to my eyes in paint stripper getting the white paint off the cabinet ready to stain and shellac.

So mind you don't catch the disease as well.
Present 'garage' contains 2 x 28K hand crank, 99K hand crank, 66K hand crank, 66K treadle, 201K treadle, 99K electric, 416, 6104, 401G, Futura 1000, Innovis NV1250 and a Jones CS treadle. New arrival Brother XE1 Stellaire
www.wychallembroidery.com

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 17:49:09 PM »
I think you're a little bit late @Wychall. Check out @rubywishes signature!  0_0
Probably a little bit late for quite a few of us!  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Wychall

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 17:51:10 PM »
That proves it is highly contagious!
Present 'garage' contains 2 x 28K hand crank, 99K hand crank, 66K hand crank, 66K treadle, 201K treadle, 99K electric, 416, 6104, 401G, Futura 1000, Innovis NV1250 and a Jones CS treadle. New arrival Brother XE1 Stellaire
www.wychallembroidery.com

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 21:34:08 PM »
@rubywishes - you are a lucky, lucky girl. <3 :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

rubywishes

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 00:36:44 AM »
Alright peoples....here's my first embarassing question or rather, plea for help!  :|

This 201 has been converted with a motor and I've never worked on one with a motor installed....now, with the machine unplugged I should be able to turn the handwheel and have the needle bar move up and down shouldn't I? Cause my handwheel moves but there isn't any corresponding movement with the needle bar :S. I can't remove the wheel because of the little belt attached to the motor and the wheel...do I need to remove the motor tothen get some slack in the belt so I can wriggle the wheel off? I've removed the screw and nut...and yep, took photos of each stage so I know how to line everything back up.....(learnt that the hard way with Gertie years ago.) and can wriggle the wheel forwards but not completely off.
I've taken the tension assembly all off and it looks really good...just needs a bit of a clean on the discs and to my relief the springs are in tip top shape so winning there.
Anxiously awaiting advice from you all once you've stopped roaring with laughter or at the very least, quietly chuckling at me  :| 0_0

It's 5 hours later and I've sorted it all out!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I took the motor off and thought the belt looked as though it was around the wheel weirdly so when I cleaned it all up I put it back where I thought  it should be. While I was there I gave it all a good clean...not much muck to be honest and put it back together and "hooray hooray ring the bells" I now have a needle bar that moves up and down when I turn the wheel. I reckon the belt has been slipped or misplaced and that's why the needle bar wasn't moving....maybe why the original owner gave it away in the first place...thinking it was broken. Oh happy, happy me!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 05:29:20 AM by rubywishes »