The Sewing Place

Style Arc free pattern

Ohsewsimple

Style Arc free pattern
« on: August 02, 2019, 18:34:03 PM »
I’m sure most of you know but just in case anyone doesn’t.....
https://www.stylearc.com/promotions/free-barbs-pant-pattern-download/?legacy_uri=threads-promo
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 18:38:33 PM by Ohsewsimple »

wrenkins

Re: Style Arc free pattern
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 07:23:24 AM »
Thanks for that @Ohsewsimple. No I did not know and now I have yet another Winter project.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 14:13:11 PM »
Thanks from me too - I now have another trouser pattern to ignore try out. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 08:59:44 AM »
This is probably my favourite trouser pattern, I've made a good few of these.

I don't use Bengaline though, I found it horrible.  I just use a fabric with some stretch.

Thanks @Ohsewsimple , well spotted.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 09:41:23 AM »
@b15erk I’ve read good and bad things about this pattern.  What do you think of the crutch shape?

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 09:52:02 AM »
I can't remember having any problems @Ohsewsimple , apart from the fabric.  I'm sure they recommended Bengaline, and it was horrible.

I'm wearing a pair now, and they fit really nicely.  I haven't got access to my altered patterns atm - got lodgers, but I can't remember any alterations except the leg length off hand - I've got short, fat legs!

I'll see if I have any notes on the PC, but I'm pretty sure it was fine for me.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 10:09:51 AM »
@Ohsewsimple , I've just searched my posts on here, and found quite a big problem with a second printing of the Stylearc Barb trousers.  The pdf seemed to be coming up very big, and needed alteration.

I can't remember the first printing I did, but it must have been OK, as I used it and used it.  I re-printed it, but found the second print came up very large. One of the problems seems to be that Stylearc don't print finished sizes.

I'll be printing this off later, and I'll do a check on the sizing square, as I think that may have been the problem.

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 10:14:33 AM »
StyleArc do give finished sizes, although for their older patterns that tends to be just the measurements for a size 10, with the instruction to add/take off 2 inches for each size.  Clearly that doesn't work for the total crotch measurement though!

If you go to the Barb page on their website and click on Fabric Estimates and Measurements you get the size 10 finished measurements.  It's on page 2 of the pdf pattern, too.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 11:34:23 AM »
Thanks to you both.  I’ve downloaded the pattern but the back crutch  extension looks very short to me.  I’ll have a look and a ponder. 

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 11:46:13 AM »
@b15erk - could I ask what you found "horrible" about the bengaline, please, as I was considering buying some to make up these trousers? I found some "medium weight" bengaline which was recommended for jackets and trousers, at £4.99/metre which I thought was very cheap, but I've never used it before so I'd be interested in your thoughts. Thanks. :)

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »
@Acorn, thank you! My eyes are bad at the best of times, but I really have missed that bit about the size 10 sizing.  It's not ideal, but I guess I can work it out better from this.

I've no access to my traced patterns atm, and any sewing I do, will be from stash and patterns I keep at work.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 11:58:01 AM »
@Kenora , the Bengaline I got was 'swishy',  when you moved in it, and quite stiff.  It was also a one way stretch, so there was a lot of waste.

I think it was from Croft Mill, but not sure.

Jessie

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
Thank you @b15erk - the stuff I saw was on Tia Knight's website, but I definitely wouldn't want anything stiff, so I'll probably give it a miss. Hopefully I'll be able to get out at some stage and venture into Truro Fabrics so I can have a feel (if they have any). I usually have to buy on-line but it's a bit of a hit-and-miss process. :S

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »
@Kenora , that was my problem, I couldn't get any locally, so had to buy online.  Never used Bengaline before, so not sure if what I bought was typical, but it was awful.

Very easy to sew, but the cutting out was wasteful.  I hated the 'rustling', and 'swishing' when I moved as well, so they have never been worn.

I don't know if all Bengaline is like this, but this was my experience, and for me, an expensive waste.

Jessie

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
No, I don't know what Bengaline is supposed to feel like either @b15erk - it's just what Style Arc recommend. I've seen a nice lightweight stretch twill from RayStitch - and have a sample - it's in lots of different colours so I might go with that. I've got a birthday coming up and have been promised a trip to a fabric shop if I'm feeling well enough to go. Haven't been for years so it's quite an incentive - will keep my fingers crossed. :) Thanks for all the info - it's been very helpful.