The Sewing Place

Style Arc free pattern

Helen M

Re: Style Arc free pattern
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of bengaline, but I've made the Barb pants from ponte and they worked well. Maybe add a bit extra on the seam allowance just in case the fit isn't how you want it to be.

On the other hand bengaline isn't expensive so it would perhaps work for a wearable muslin. I quite like my bengaline pair for gardening or anything that I'm stretching for.

I always make up the waistband first to make sure it stretches over my hips and cut the rest of the pattern accordingly.

You need quite a bit of stretch for the Barb pants to work @Kenora .
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Kenora

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 12:51:21 PM »
You need quite a bit of stretch for the Barb pants to work @Kenora .

Thanks for that info @Helen M - I hadn't thought about the amount of stretch. I'll have to have another look at the pattern and my fabric choices. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Vezelay

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 15:32:26 PM »
I looked into Bengaline a couple of years ago and noticed that the stuff Style Arc was selling had a high % of viscose, whereas all I could find at the time on UK websites like Minerva was mainly polyester. I'm sure that's moved on now but it put me off. I imagine you get what you pay for.

I've made the Style Arc Elle - also intended for Bengaline - a few times now using various stretch wovens no problem. I got the Barb as a freebie way back but never made it as the Elle shape suits me better.

aprilla

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 16:17:50 PM »
Thanks for the heads up @Ohsewsimple. I don't really need another pants pattern but couldn't resist. I was worrying about the size to pick when I read they send a size above and a size below with the size you pick, so that's nice. I've never tried a StyleArc pattern, it'll be a new adventure :)

@Kenora I hadn't known the tiaknightfabrics site, happily their postage to me seems quite good so I'll play with their shopping bag a bit  :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 16:19:26 PM by aprilla »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 16:55:55 PM »
@aprilla if you’re looking at Tia Knight be careful.  I had a few bits from her but wasn’t impressed when a jersey labelled viscose was most definitely polyester!   :angry:
And I think many were labelled cotton viscose.  What the heck is that?   It's either cotton or viscose or cotton and viscose mixed.   I’ve also seen this elsewhere and it annoys me.  I like to know what I’m buying. 

aprilla

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 17:14:52 PM »
@Ohsewsimple good to know thanks. I've been looking at the fleece selection, thinking about nothing in particular, so if any appeal I should be fairly safe. I keep putting stuff in the shopping cart and so far the postage stays at €5,43. That's fantastic for me.

I received the free pattern but I don't know when I'll print it... all that joining A4 sheets!!! But I do like the shape of the crotch curve, I think that works for me.

fajita

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 17:57:04 PM »
I've ordered the free trouser pattern, but I've never made trousers before, bar one pair of cotton pyjama trousers.

Not sure if I'll get round to making it up, I'd have to shop for fabric, and thread the overlocker (hissss).

But it's there. Thankyou.

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 20:02:13 PM »
I ordered it too and if it gets made it'll be my third trousers; also including pyjamas @fajita  :D
The pattern specifies 30% stretch which is quite a bit. Presumably there is a correlation between amount of Elastane/Lycra and amount of stretch but is it direct or does it depend on what else is in it?

or what.....?  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Helen M

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 20:28:55 PM »
The stretch is needed to get the garment over your hip as the body bit is a fairly (plesantly) close fit as they are pull on.

I keep meaning to try to figure out how to work the waistband so that I can make them with a zip. You wouldn't need as much stretch then.

wrenkins

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 20:36:44 PM »
I was thinking about a zip too @Helen M as I have some lovely stretch cotton sateen but that might be just a little step too far for my (very) limited skills.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

aprilla

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 21:32:10 PM »
@Helen M I've done a trouser (Burda Style magazine, Marlene pattern I think) with a zip in the back seam, and I was able to move it to the side seam in another pair. It was just applied in the seam allowances, but you would have to make changes to the waistband.
I could look out the instructions if interested.

Helen M

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 23:10:55 PM »
It's not so much the seam allowance as such but the waistband being able to fit without any elastic and probably have the zip come right up to the waist. It's not a curved waistband as such but it isn't the straight piece of fabric that it is on the Elle pant.

One alteration I did do and if you are able to look at the pattern piece it will make more sense.

The piece which is cut twice and looks a bit like this at the fold line >-------------< . I am low waisted so needed the angle of the > < to be sharper so I cut the fold line to the size smaller and re drew the cutting line, keeping the bottom edge to the size of the main pant. It makes it lie much flatter on the actual waist (even with the elastic inside it) rather than above it which is how I like my pants to fit. Maybe the waistband needs to be even smaller at the fold line if it has a zip?

I also made the band less deep by about 1/2" and used 1" elastic which I found deep enough. I also slightly angled the elastic when I joined the ends so that it was more like the shape of the waist band.

b15erk

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2019, 09:01:02 AM »
As I'm unable to access my sewing room or it's contents, I've printed off another copy of this.  The scale is correct, and using the limited information on finished size, I've printed the size 16.  I will stick it together later, and measure.

I'll be back!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.