The Sewing Place

Bernina 700

Tiggersew

Bernina 700
« on: December 20, 2019, 09:10:09 AM »
So I am now the very proud owner of a Bernina 700  :vintage:.
She was a bargain find via local Facebook search, and after a quick clean up, and a visit to my local Sewing Machine repair man, for a health check and a couple of issues addressed, she is a perfect example of a Vintage Machine (1963) stitching as well today as the day she left the factory.
With a massive Thank You to Sewbusy for her advice and shuttling of the machine to the repair man.
I have just been putting her through her paces, whilst she is what a lot of people would consider a "Basic" machine, simple straight and zig zag stitch, it is possible to make decorative patterns, all be it with a little more time and patience, she has happily just stitched through 4 layers of leather (jacket quality leather) and the stitch is perfect.  I still had a standard needle in the machine, and she did not grumble, heave or sigh at the request to sew through the layers.  :vintage:

Very Happy to be in the Vintage Bernina Club now
(Blaming Sewbusy for her influence)

StitchinTime

Re: Bernina 700
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
Congratulations on your bargain find. I joined the vintage Bernina club this year when I inherited my Mum's 707 Minimatic. It's a bit newer than yours (1971) but it too needed a bit of TLC in the form of a new gear and bobbin winder.

I've not tested it on heavy fabric yet, but found the small free arm ideal when making mini Christmas stockings. I picked up a vintage 1/4" foot for it from Ebay which means I can use it for patchwork at quilting meetings.

Enjoy the machine, and hopefully you won't be tempted by vintage accessories like I have been.

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 10:29:55 AM »
Oh well done on finding a Bernina - aren't they the most beautiful machines they purr!!!!  Now you just have to enjoy your Bernina sewing experience - you will never look back, they are just power houses.workhorses.

Sewbusy

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 13:03:46 PM »
I've told him ladies and gentlemen that he is now on the Bernina Road and there is no turning off. lol

Enjoy your new machine Mike and remember, you have a dress to make!