The Sewing Place

Fly front trousers front dart

Sewingforfun

Fly front trousers front dart
« on: August 04, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »
Hello! I have a question about fly fronts and darts. I love my new jeans (see Sewing the Blues competition), but they and I are not quite the same shape at centre front.

The pattern clearly has quite substantial front darts transferred to centre front (see picture), but on me this cuts in a bit at the waist although the waist is overall the right size and they are a nice fit over the hip.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I realise I could straighten the front a bit and take the same off the side seam, but is there also some clever way to shift the “dart” into the pocket area without altering the side seam? That would preserve my nice side seam.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

snoozi soozi

Re: Fly front trousers front dart
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 16:38:05 PM »
If the waist is tight with the dart I wouldn't put the darts in. That's just me. I'm sure someone with knowledge will come along  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

aprilla

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 17:07:36 PM »
I'd probably just straighten up the fronts a smidge, it sounds like you don't need too much extra and I wouldn't be inclined to mess with the pockets/hips if they are fitting nicely.
Is it a curved waistband?

Sewingforfun

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 17:48:35 PM »
I'd probably just straighten up the fronts a smidge, it sounds like you don't need too much extra and I wouldn't be inclined to mess with the pockets/hips if they are fitting nicely.
Is it a curved waistband?

Thanks, and yes, it is a curved waistband, so maybe straighten the end of that a little too?
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 19:11:38 PM »
@Sewingforfun I have read this a few times and couldn’t work it out.  Just call me dim!   :)
But there are no darts, but a shaped front yes?   
If you need more room at the waist / over the tummy, yes you can straighten up  the front line.  You don’t need to mess with the side seam.  I hope I’ve understood you ok.   :)

aprilla

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 20:57:02 PM »
Thanks, and yes, it is a curved waistband, so maybe straighten the end of that a little too?

I think I'd just continue it rather than straighten it. But if I was doing it I wouldn't cut the waistband until I was happy with the pants front/back.
Will you be giving anything to the back pieces? You don't want to throw off the outside seams?