The Sewing Place

Needle gumming up with fusible applique

WendyW

Needle gumming up with fusible applique
« on: August 04, 2019, 19:00:35 PM »
I'm doing several throw pillows with a fused applique on them. All are already fused and need to be stitched around the edge. My needle is gumming up from the fusible, causing repeated thread breakage. I've tried several different needles and all have the same result. I can stitch on a sample of the same materials w/o fusible with no problems at all. Any suggestions on needle type or other solution to prevent the gumminess on my needle? It's too late to use a different fusible on this batch, but for future use, are there some fusibles that are better than others re: this?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Needle gumming up with fusible applique
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 19:03:33 PM »
What is the fusible stuff you’re using?

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 19:56:21 PM »
I've had the same problem using sticky soluble stabiliser for embroidery.  I got some Organ anti-glue needles although I haven't tried them on the sticky stabiliser yet.  They have worked beautifully on embroidery where the fabric was stuck to the stabiliser with spray on glue though.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 20:29:41 PM »
Don't know which fusible web you used.
I've used Heat'n'Bond Lite without any gumming up issues. (Shop around for a good price)
A friend swears by an American method for applique and uses Reynolds freezer paper for cutting out shapes and then using a dab of a glue stick like pritt stick to hold the fabric piece in place until attached with the stitches.  She prefers it because there is no stiffness from adhesive.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 20:33:50 PM by Morgan »

WendyW

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 23:32:53 PM »
I don't know what fusible I used either. I generally buy Heat-n-bond, but this roll is sans packaging so I don't know if it's that brand or not. It's paper-backed. It's been hanging around the sewing room for a while. Does age affect it?

I tried a quick fix out of desperation, and dipped one finger in oil and rubbed it down the needle, then sewed across a scrap to remove any excess. That seems to have done the trick.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 06:53:00 AM »
Heat n Bond ULTRA  ... which boasts a no sew stickiness can gum up the needle.
A quick wipe with a solvent, acetone, nail polish remover or methylated spirits with remove any gunk and you can carry on sewing until the next time.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 08:51:53 AM »
Titanium coated needles are supposed to be less prone to getting sticky from adhesives.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »
I’ve used Bondaweb without problems but I don’t do a lot of appliqué.   Don’t know whether you can get it over there.  I think it’s a case of trying various ones.   I know I had a problem with sticky embroidery stabiliser like @Acorn.  I now use Floriani and no problem with that one. 

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 17:59:00 PM »
I've just had an email from Barnyarns saying that Schmetz have just released some new needles that are designed for situations where you are sewing through glue.

WendyW

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 19:40:47 PM »
Thank you @Acorn ! I'll keep my eyes open for those here.

Roger

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 21:03:23 PM »
I did some research on sewing bike inner tires together, they recommend titanium needles and wiping with acetone, if it gets tacky. I also wonder if it might be advantageous to wipe the needle with a little silicon lubricant after the acetone to stop it accumulating sticky...

But I'm intrigued by the idea of anti glue needles :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 21:53:02 PM »
But I'm intrigued by the idea of anti glue needles

Probably coated with silicone ?!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Roger

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 22:05:32 PM »
could be Imi, but I wondered it that would be too soft especially around the point and wear off fast, its probably something along those lines tho :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 22:41:37 PM »
The Barnyarns website says "the new Super Universal Needle ... features a particularly smooth non-stick coating with NIT (= nickel-phosphorus PTFE)".

They have other features making them apparently suitable for most types of fabric, and for embroidery, they say!