The Sewing Place

Janome atelier 5 and pleather

RJR_38

Janome atelier 5 and pleather
« on: August 05, 2019, 14:15:58 PM »
I have been a darksider for a long time and only just finding my way into the light and have been getting into bag making.

For the first time I have been trying to sew with some very thin pleather to make straps. The lady I bought it from at FOQ says she uses her normal foot, needle and settings as it is so thin and flexible ...

Well my machine does not agree - it has been skipping stitches constantly and I can’t work out how to fix it. So far I have tried: Basic unthreading/rethreading, using a leather needle (size 16), increasing the stitch length to 3, sewing over masking tape (which improves it slightly but ruins the pleather and doesn’t work 100% anyway. I have also tried both normal foot and walking foot.

Anyone got any other ideas? I have read around a bit online and wondering if I need a Teflon foot but don’t know what shank my machine is as it doesn’t say in my instruction book. I haven’t had to buy any feet for this machine before as it came with so many.  I have only had this stitch skipping happen once before and that was one particular batik fabric so I took the easy route out and didn’t use it again...

BlueCat

Re: Janome atelier 5 and pleather
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 14:35:04 PM »
This might be the foot for a Category 4 machine (atelier 5)
https://j-shop.co.uk/collections/feet-and-attachments/products/ultra-glide-foot-3

I use a teflon foot (on any machine) if sewing the thin faux leather, but it can still stretch depending on the quality. Try using greaseproof or silicon paper on top of the pleather, and stitch slowly
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 14:41:47 PM by BlueCat »

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 14:55:56 PM »
Hmm...I tried a variety of (genuine) Janome feet when making my faux leather jacket. I used a Teflon foot for most of it but when that struggled my walking foot worked well so I'm surprised it didn't for you. I did briefly try my roller foot which is often recommended for faux leather - honestly can't recall how effective that was but it's something else to consider.

Also I used a size 14 Jeans needle as recommended by Angela Wolf. That plus Teflon or walking foot worked great for me.

RJR_38

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 14:58:29 PM »
Thanks Blue Cat - the table on the website was very handy (at least now I know I have a high shank 9mm machine haha!)

The pleather wasn’t stretching just skipping stitches. I tried both masking tape and tissue paper on top. Tissue paper was useless, masking tape did improve it slightly so will try greaseproof paper but surely there is an easier way as not looking forward to picking it all out afterwards...

RJR_38

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 21:39:37 PM »
I’ve been reading lots this afternoon and it seems that although a Teflon foot might work a roller foot would be a better bet. Only it seems Janome don’t make a one for category D machines (or at least not that I’ve found so far). A/B/C yes but not D!

Of all the bits of this project I thought would be tricky, making the straps wasn’t one if them!

Does anyone else on this board have an atelier 5?

Kad

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 06:23:32 AM »
@RJR_38 
There's a solution, I too have a Janome Cat D machine ,( 8900qcp) which replaced a much used, and loved,  Cat C. I had quite a few extra feet for the Cat C that I didn't want to re-buy  so I purchased a Cat C  "ankle thingy" - the bit that screws onto the bottom of the shank and clips the feet onto.

This means that I can attach and use all my extra  Cat C feet on my Cat D machine as long as I don't set the stitch width over 7mm  ( a Dab of bright green nail polish reminds me  :)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Kad

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 06:28:46 AM »
Just had another thought, a cheaper, but messier solution could be to  apply a light dusting of talcum powder to the surface of the pleather - rubbed in with your fingers so as not to get into the machine. This wipes off easily afterwards and smells nice whilst sewing.

RJR_38

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 17:54:46 PM »
@RJR_38 
There's a solution, I too have a Janome Cat D machine ,( 8900qcp) which replaced a much used, and loved,  Cat C. I had quite a few extra feet for the Cat C that I didn't want to re-buy  so I purchased a Cat C  "ankle thingy" - the bit that screws onto the bottom of the shank and clips the feet onto.

This means that I can attach and use all my extra  Cat C feet on my Cat D machine as long as I don't set the stitch width over 7mm  ( a Dab of bright green nail polish reminds me  :)

Thanks Kad. I have also contacted Janome to see what their suggestion is. Otherwise I think I will buy a Teflon foot first (cheaper) and see if that works. All very frustrating!

RJR_38

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 20:52:19 PM »
@Kad I have heard back from Janome. Their response is basically... ‘tough luck’.
There are a few feet I have been thinking about buying - an invisible zipper foot also being one but of course I am restricted to the expensive Janome Feet as no one else makes them 9mm wide.

So frustrating. If I had known this when I bought the machine I may have reconsidered..

Kad, what ankle did you buy and does it work safely?

Kad

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 21:42:28 PM »
@RJR_38

I rang Jaycotts in Chester and ordered an 'ankle' for a Janome Cat C machine - mc6600p etc.

It screws onto the shaft of my Cat D machine in the usual way. The only difference is that the bit that clips into the foot is narrower than the original and so fits the Cat C feet properly.

As long as I don't set the stitch width wider than 7mm its perfectly fine - I've marked the Cat C feet with a small blob of nail polish to remind me.

I use the following Cat C feet on my Cat D machine - concealed zip, pintuck, beading, applique, fringe, binding, rolled hem and ruffler - all perfect ly fine
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 21:54:02 PM by Kad »

RJR_38

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 21:56:56 PM »
Thanks! It is the concealed zip and either Teflon or roller feet I am interested in.