The Sewing Place

To toile or not to toile......

sewmuchmore

To toile or not to toile......
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »
...that is the question. Do you or don't you make a toile?
Me, never.
Have i had any disasters/misfits? One or two but considering how long i have been sewing nothing to write home about.

It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

b15erk

Re: To toile or not to toile......
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
I do, but not every time, and not the whole garment.  If there is a tricky bit that the instructions are not clear on, or if the technique suggested doesn't give the finish I want, I will certainly toile that bit.

Case in point was my last make.  The placket instructions gave me such a poor, bulky finish that I just grabbed a bit of scrap fabric, and tried my own technique on just that bit.  It worked very nicely, and I have a non-bulky placket now, and I didn't have to negotiate stupid hand turned hems:)  Some would say that an overlocked finish is a cheat, but I say, if it's good enough for RTW, it's good enough for me:)

Jessie
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:35:07 AM by b15erk »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:45:15 AM »
Definitely. I have to. I'm not blessed with a figure that conforms to patterns straight from the packet. I don't think I've ever sewn a woven garment from the packet and had it fit perfectly (unless it's loose-fit and the fit doesn't matter as much). There are some adjustments I know to do straight away (sway back, narrow shoulder, higher waist, FBA) but even then I prefer to do a straight-from-the-packet toile first so I can get a good base to start from.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »
rarely
C'est moi!

SingingSinger

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:09:11 AM »
Very rarely - only when I've used a particularly nice or expensive fabric, which is once in a blue moon!
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »
Rarely.

A couple of years ago I did make McCalls 2718 and with useful help from the old forum worked out what I needed to do to make it fit properly.

For me it was:
lowering bust point 1"
1" full biceps adjustment
½" sloping shoulder adjustment.

Put together the easiest way to do all that is add 1" to the length at high bust level (rarely marked on a pattern) and shorten by 1" above the waist.  That adds 2" to the armscy but ½" + ½" come off with the shoulder adjustment.  The remaining 1" allows for 1" to be added in the width of the sleeve.

I now make those alterations on anything that's fitted and it usually works!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
Twice - once for a complicated strappy back on a dress (couldn't work it out) and once when I was trying to hack two patterns together.

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 11:33:02 AM »
I actually did one for me the other day... just a basic bodice and sleeve which I will use for some of the tunic/ dress thingy I am making I made it put it on walked across the yard to the barn to find DD so she could pin and draw alterations and additions... luckily no delivery drivers turned up at the same time :S
Just spent 2 hours fitting one for my Mum then playing fabric with alternative linings and then eating hot cross buns... yum
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 13:03:35 PM »
Mostly...Then I can run up a few things quickly

charlotte

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 13:16:52 PM »
Depends what I'm making. I have recently gravitated towards more couture techniques and nicer fabrics, so I like to know things will fit before I snip into £££s worth of fabric and spend hours catch stitching seam allowances etc.

For my jacket I'm currently making I actually used the pieces from my toile (curtain lining fabric) as interlining.

Sometimes I see a pattern I like, but then just redraft something I've already made to change the design to something similar, since I'm then starting with something that fits. I'm not sure if this is lazy or creative... If I change it too much I might make a toile anyway.

I am about to start a shift dress, and I toiled (sp?) a vintage pattern from my stash... the fit was so horrendous that I didn't even bother trying to do anything and just got out my Colette Laurel that I have already made at least four times.

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 13:32:30 PM »
For my jacket I'm currently making I actually used the pieces from my toile (curtain lining fabric) as interlining.

Have you washed it?... are you going to wash the jacket?... curtain lining shrinks.....
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Missie

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 13:33:15 PM »
If it isn't a baggy roomy style then yes.  I don't conform to the standard sizes so need to make alterations to get a good fit.

charlotte

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 13:48:00 PM »
Have you washed it?... are you going to wash the jacket?... curtain lining shrinks.....

Haha I thought after I posted that I should have put this in! Rest assured it was pre-washed and jacket will be dry clean only. Or more likely, Frebreezed and spot cleaned ;)

Vegegrow

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 13:52:06 PM »
Haha I thought after I posted that I should have put this in! Rest assured it was pre-washed and jacket will be dry clean only. Or more likely, Frebreezed and spot cleaned ;)

Phheewww  that's a relief

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 14:59:55 PM »
I do, but not every time, and not the whole garment.

If I make a toile, it's almost always just the bodice.