The Sewing Place

Duck billed scissors

Gernella

Duck billed scissors
« on: August 08, 2019, 18:36:12 PM »
I've had some delivered today and they are wonderful.  The last two tops I made had lightweight fabric and while I could manage to get double fabric to work on the coverstitching, the minute it went onto a single fabric, tunnelling.  So I've thrown the towel in altogether and I'm not even going to bother trying on any kind of fabric.  They are Klasse that I got from Jaycotts, more expensive than some I have seen, and they sort of have bends on the handles, which makes them  so much easier to use.

Absolutely flipping perfect <3 <3 <3 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

So Chic

Re: Duck billed scissors
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 19:32:54 PM »
You won’t regret buying them.  I find them very useful for trimming seams as there is next to no risk of clipping into the main fabric.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 11:36:18 AM »
I think I may have to consider buying a pair, it's very easy to cut yourself a 'design feature'  :S I've done so on more than one occasion...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 12:09:04 PM »
I’ve got some Klasse ones. I bought them from somebody on the old forum. They are one of the most useful tools in my sewing box.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 14:03:03 PM »
I’ve got some Ghinger ones I’ve had years.  I don’t think we could find any others at the time. 
I used to use them for trimming neck binding on knit tops.   However I must be just about the only person who managed to cut into the garment anyway.  ><. So I tend to use my very small curved embroidery scissors now as I seem to get a better result......no holes, sorry, design features! :)

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 17:53:45 PM »
Mine are Klasse - lovely and sharp and cut through fabric like a knife going through butter - but they are not immune to operator error and the occasional 'design feature'.   :S
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

eclectic

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 19:22:18 PM »
I think 'Duck bills' should come with a health warning... I am always so stressed by the end of cutting and possibly blue in the face from holding my breath... of course it's the last thing I have to do in the construction of a garment and am petrified I will cut a hole ... but I still use them  :S

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 22:24:24 PM »
My one and only Ernest Wright scissors are duckbills and they're lovely. I've a rather eclectic mix of Gingher, Kai and a remarkably reliable pair of Westcotts in types of scissors and shears that get used more often simply because of their purpose so I get rather excited when the duckbills come out,  partly for the pleasure and partly for the novelty.

The disappointing Fiskars Amplify get used for cutting paper.  :o :S
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 21:26:42 PM »
And a pair is winging its way to my door from Jaycotts as I sit here. This forum is deadly so helpful   0_0.

Nevis5

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 04:54:32 AM »
I have the Jaycotts ones, too.  I like them but with my clumsy left-handedness, I have to be very, very careful when using them so they probably only come out on special occasions.   They are effective, though.  Have fun with yours, @Vezelay  ! x

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 11:35:45 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    :D

mums sewing machine

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 16:54:57 PM »
Just ordered myself a pair of Klasse ones - should be here tomorrow. Can’t be stressing about layering seams with fabric scissors any more!
No such thing as too much fabric