The Sewing Place

Light bulbs for vintage machines

LeilaMay

Re: Light bulbs for vintage machines
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2022, 11:34:24 AM »
I always remove/replace bulbs wearing a rubber glove, you get a bit more grip without having to put too much pressure on the bulb
Yep, great idea.  :)

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2022, 12:02:01 PM »
Yes I mean a potato  :laughing:
You cut it in half and then use it as a 'handle' to get a grip on the bits left after the shattering by pushing on. 
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

LeilaMay

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2022, 12:17:40 PM »
Yes I mean a potato  :laughing:
You cut it in half and then use it as a 'handle' to get a grip on the bits left after the shattering by pushing on.

Okay!  :)
Should I need it, i'll give it a try.
Fortunately I haven't ever (touch wood) broken a bulb.

SewMeSome

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2022, 13:05:15 PM »
Does the side flap swing open on the top left?  I have a feeling it is like my Bernina, will check it later if you haven't got better advice by then.

I can get in there via the flap , but how to remove the light bulb is baffling me- and I am generally ok at maintenance and fixing things like this, so I know it's not 'simple' and maybe there's a trick to it

SewMeSome

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2022, 13:06:28 PM »
In this blog - a photogrpah  a little way in - you can see how the left hand end swings open.
https://mnel2.wordpress.com/2018/05/12/a-new-acquisition-a-bernina-707/

The bulb is behind the brown panel - you need to carefully push the bulb upwards and then twist - I think it will be a bayonet fitting. Then the new bulb replaces it.

Nimble fingers are go  . . .   :)

Thank you - I will try that this weekend. Im ok at fixing things , but 'nimble fingers' isn't really my middle name  :laugh:

SewMeSome

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2022, 13:06:56 PM »
@LeilaMay If the glass bulb bit breaks while trying to get it off you can use a potato to push on the end and still do the twisty thing without too much effort  :D

Wow, handy tip, thank you!

LeilaMay

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2022, 14:57:57 PM »
Earlier in this thread there is a link to a little tool, that's basically a shaped section of rubber-like tubing that fits the bulb - giving you an inch or two more to shove up there - please excuse the phrase. That might be worth a look?

keepitsimple

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2022, 23:09:07 PM »
Encountered the same problem with some leds having a collar that stops the bulb from being pushed in far enough. Found these on amazon - they fit (among others) Bernina record 600, 730, 801, 900 nova and 1011 - so I reckon pretty well all of the older Bernina that take bayonet fittings. Also fit Husqvarna 19e, 1030, 6570, Optima 150 so fairly sure they'll be OK for other machines in those ranges. Plus Singer latest version of 201,185 and 401g.

Have all those machines so I know they fit.

on Amazon - Bonlux 2W Ba15d LED Bulb 220V-240V - there is a cool white or warm white option. About ~ £8.50 for 2.
Too many machines...
Singers: 185K (2 of them), 201K (2 of them) & 401G. Bernina Records: 600, 730, 801 & Nova 900. Bernina 1011, Modern Berninas B480 and B750. Elna star SU. Necchi Lydia 3, Husqvarnas: 19e Special, Optima 150, Viking 1020 & Viking 6570. New Home/Janome: 551 & 609.

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2022, 09:04:41 AM »
If anyone knows of an led bulb that will fit a Husqvarna Megaquilter (the same as Janome 1600P and various others) I would be eternally grateful!  According to the manual it's 12v, 5W, and it looks like this:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I did manage to get one that fitted the description, intended for (from memory) a car number plate light, but it didn't fit very well, and didn't work.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2022, 09:07:52 AM »
Helen Howes is the go to bod for Vintage machine parts ... She may be able to help ...

The linky is to her faceache page.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

realale

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2022, 09:09:16 AM »
I bought two of those from somewhere on tinterweb. If only I could remember where...... ><
I think I just googled my sewing machine make & model and added replacement lightbulb.
So many beers, so little time.

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2022, 09:10:53 AM »
@Iminei  It isn't vintage (although it isn't new either) - I've just realised that I've posted this on a vintage machines thread... I'll go and put it somewhere else...  :facepalm:

@realale That's how I got the ones I tried - after a very long time and an awful lot of looking, and nothing else coming up anywhere.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2023, 13:46:48 PM »
Encountered the same problem with some leds having a collar that stops the bulb from being pushed in far enough. Found these on amazon - they fit (among others) Bernina record 600, 730, 801, 900 nova and 1011 - so I reckon pretty well all of the older Bernina that take bayonet fittings. Also fit Husqvarna 19e, 1030, 6570, Optima 150 so fairly sure they'll be OK for other machines in those ranges. Plus Singer latest version of 201,185 and 401g.

Have all those machines so I know they fit.

on Amazon - Bonlux 2W Ba15d LED Bulb 220V-240V - there is a cool white or warm white option. About ~ £8.50 for 2.

I just got some of those - and they don't fit my Singer 185k - the top edge flares out very slightly so they don't quite push in enough.  I've now ordered some different ones, so will report back when they arrive.

skyhigh

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2024, 13:36:46 PM »
I have a vintage Bernina 707 Minimatic and have sourced a bulb, but for the life of me cant figure out how to get the old one out - does anyone now of a video tutorial on how to replace it?

Hello, did you managed to remove the bulb? Only asking as i have a Bernina 700 and had to remove the bulb as the face plate was getting far too hot!
Having removed the bulb which has a screw thread it had a 20 watt rating.
Looking to replace it with a LED type bulb now.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2024, 15:37:55 PM »
@skyhigh I got some of these bulbs for my Bernina 700 - linky.