The Sewing Place

Light bulbs for vintage machines

LeilaMay

Light bulbs for vintage machines
« on: August 09, 2019, 09:51:15 AM »
Thought it might be worth having a thread about replacement light bulbs for our vintage machines.
Lillian mentioned she is having trouble fitting an LED bub in her new Singer Featherweigh, and it reminded me that even among my small herd I've had to buy a couple of different types.

There is a useful video here from the Singer Featherweight shop about the kinds of bulbs avaliable

https://singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/featherweight-led-bulb-comparison?_pos=1&_sid=b7486e07e&_ss=r

and I did have to buy a couple of the narrowest type from them to fit my white featherweight and an electric 99K in a cabinet - all the other types fouled the narrow fitting and wouldn't engage) - I haven't yet found that narrowest type in the UK but maybe someone has?

Anyway, hope this will proves helpful to some folks

LeilaMay

PERHAPS THIS THREAD COULD BE A STICKY _ AS A RESOURCE?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:05:29 AM by Acorn »

Acorn

Re: Light bulbs for vintage machines
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:05:48 AM »
I have stickified it.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »
I bought a couple of these
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XF325CG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
One is currently in my 221 Featherweight and the other is in the 201.  No particular problem getting them in.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 12:30:09 PM »
Yes I have those too - they fit in most of my machines. But the white 221 and one of my 99s needed a bulb that doesn't have that white ring around it, that stands proud just below the light-up section. In the narrowest fittings, that prevents the bulb from going far enough down to engage the lugs - who knew bulbs could be so complicated?  :)

jesster

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 13:03:50 PM »
I have a white Featherweight and use one of these.  I'm in the US, but maybe the same type is available on your side of the pond?

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 13:23:41 PM »
I have a white Featherweight and use one of these.  I'm in the US, but maybe the same type is available on your side of the pond?

Yes, that's exactly the type I'm talking about - it's necessary for a few types of light fitting, including the white 221s.
I haven't found a UK supplier for those, but perhaps someone will know of one  :)

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 18:15:49 PM »
Just had a look and found These  on ebay not sure if they will fit but look possible.

I managed to get the old bulb back in the machine by wrapping it in the finger of a rubber glove, pushing it in and the pulling out the glove and I felt it click into place.  :)  I have little dexterity in my fingers due to a biking accident years ago so couldn't do it any other way. I did see a short video showing how to do it with a piece of tubing which would be much better.

Thanks @LeilaMay for staring this thread  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Silverlake

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 03:14:12 AM »
The Plastic Tubing for fitting awkward bulbs is also available from The Featherweight Shop's UK outlet/partner; The Littlest Thistle.

https://www.the-littlest-thistle.com/shop/sewing-machine-parts-accessories/machine-maintenance/tools/light-bulb-tool

I bought two types of LED bulb from The States; one Standard, and one Super-Bright-White. The super-bright-white is great for seeing true colours. Both types are much better than the old incandescent bulbs we've been used to.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 14:31:27 PM by Silverlake »

Nuttywife59

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 23:00:42 PM »
If you look up singer featherweights UK on Facebook  Phillip Enstone supplies Led bulbs for them. I've had 3 from him 1 each for my featherweight and a 99k and my 201k.

SewMeSome

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 08:55:29 AM »
I have a vintage Bernina 707 Minimatic and have sourced a bulb, but for the life of me cant figure out how to get the old one out - does anyone now of a video tutorial on how to replace it?

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 09:30:17 AM »
Does the side flap swing open on the top left?  I have a feeling it is like my Bernina, will check it later if you haven't got better advice by then.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

LeilaMay

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2022, 09:58:16 AM »
In this blog - a photogrpah  a little way in - you can see how the left hand end swings open.
https://mnel2.wordpress.com/2018/05/12/a-new-acquisition-a-bernina-707/

The bulb is behind the brown panel - you need to carefully push the bulb upwards and then twist - I think it will be a bayonet fitting. Then the new bulb replaces it.

Nimble fingers are go  . . .   :)

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2022, 10:26:22 AM »
@LeilaMay If the glass bulb bit breaks while trying to get it off you can use a potato to push on the end and still do the twisty thing without too much effort  :D
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Diane

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2022, 10:46:22 AM »
I always remove/replace bulbs wearing a rubber glove, you get a bit more grip without having to put too much pressure on the bulb
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

LeilaMay

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2022, 11:33:46 AM »
@LeilaMay If the glass bulb bit breaks while trying to get it off you can use a potato to push on the end and still do the twisty thing without too much effort  :D

An actual potato? When I first read it I thought you meant a potato peeler of the old kind, that you can also core apples with? Butt you mean a potato??

:)