The Sewing Place

Sleeveless bodice lining construction

Francesca

Sleeveless bodice lining construction
« on: August 12, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
Please tell me there is a way to sew a lining to a sleeveless bodice that doesn't involve the side seams being open  :'( I am an idiot and wasn't thinking as I put together the lining and bodice of my dress separately, including sewing up the side seams and overlocking them. Doh. The linen is quite fraying and unstable so I'm really worried about unpicking the overlocked seams.

I'm so used to sewing things with sleeves where I attach the sleeves to the bodice and lining as one and then hand stitch the sleeve lining in (like with jackets) that I didn't even think.

But I think I'm going to have to unpick aren't I
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 41.9m
Up/down: -45.95m

Follow me on Instagram

charlotte

Re: Sleeveless bodice lining construction
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 11:59:17 AM »
The only thing that is coming to mind is to have separate armhole facings. So sew the lining in at the neck, and then sew in separate armhole facings and hand stitch them to the lining. Depends on what your bodice is like really.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »
I did this once - I think it's something you tend not to repeat... ;)

I solved it with binding, but it was only a top.  Maybe a binding that you take right over to the back of the dress?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »
Yeah I was thinking I could bias face the armholes. I have drafted facings for the neckline and attached them to the lining so I don't show any white cotton, but I hadn't done that for the armholes out of laziness (figured understitching would pull the lining under and it's only an armhole not the neckline). But maybe now I'm being too lazy to unpick the side seams I should just cut some bias tape and do a bias bound armhole and thus I can keep the two layers together.

Laziness always leads to a longer result haha.
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 13:27:59 PM »
I think I’d bind the armholes.  It’s a nice finish.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 14:38:36 PM »
I also have a decent chunk of my fabric which I got cheaper as it's marked. I had to cut around it a bit to get the pieces out but it's left me with a nice useable chunk that will be perfect for bias tape (I don't care that it's marked. It's really faint grey scuff marks, no one will notice).
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Sewingforfun

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 14:06:23 PM »
Maybe I'm being dim, but can you not sew the lining to the bodice at the armholes right sides together, then fold it in to cover those seams, then either do the same with as much of the neck seam as you can then slipstich the rest or just slipstitch the whole neck? If you haven't done the shoulder seams of the lining, you could leave one of those open a bit. You just need an area that's left open to pull the lining through to turn it around.
Trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be  CarolC.

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 14:58:11 PM »
The problem was I constructed the whole thing, shoulder seams and all, and overlocked it. Any way of doing it properly would require unpicking which I was too lazy to do  :angel:

In the end I've left the armscye raw so I can do bias facings... which I must get on with actually... but I've been focusing on the skirt.
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Sewingforfun

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 18:25:40 PM »
Ah, I see. Bias and facings will be your friends. Thing is, no one but you knows what it's "supposed" to be like, so the rest of us will just think it's fabulous.  0_0
Trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be  CarolC.

Happymrsg

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 20:42:38 PM »
I've just done the same thing with a simple shell top I'm making. It was supposed to be a quick make!

Did you figure any way of resolving this @Francesca  or should I just get on with the unpicking?

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 21:21:04 PM »
If you leave the shoulder seams undone, you can stitch up the neck and armholes, then machine shut the top fabric shoulder seams and just finish off the lining seams by hand afterwards.

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 21:40:03 PM »
@toileandtrouble you beat me to it. That's what I do.
Mary
2019 stash used so far: about 10m stash added:5m

Happymrsg

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 22:11:17 PM »
Thank you for your replies.
I'll see if I can do it that way, it will be easier to unpick the shoulder seams than side seams.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 19:58:02 PM »
How did it go? Hope it turned out well.

Francesca

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 20:21:44 PM »
Haven't finished it, eek. I made some changes to the skirt and am not happy with the toile fit so I've been fiddling but lost steam a little. In fact I am considering packing it away and putting it in the UFO pile for next summer  :[ The weather has got me all bored of pretty sun dresses and raring to go for some autumn and winter wear. But I know I should probably just get on with it or it'll get forgotten forever (and the hard bits are done already).
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram