The Sewing Place

HexagonQuilt

b15erk

HexagonQuilt
« on: August 13, 2019, 14:33:08 PM »
I'm creeping in here very quietly from the lightside to ask a question please.  :|

I have found a pretty baby blanket here, and I'm looking for some advice.

There are no templates for the any of the pieces, so I downloaded a near enough hexagon template as a practise block.  I do like how it's come out, and I think it will be a quick stashbuster, but it's very hit and miss tbh.

Is there a website where I can download the templates I need?  Or, is there a formula to cut the three pieces, to make them fit together?

Even doing the practise block it's noticeable that without a rotary cutter, (I used scissors and a ruler), the block isn't very accurate. 

It would be a nice quilt to make for my DGD - due in November, but if I do it, I would like it to be 'proper'.

Thanks in advance girls.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

fajita

Re: HexagonQuilt
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 14:58:20 PM »
There's a little tutorial here, with a chart for different sizes. http://www.fromthebluechair.com/2012/08/tutorial-cutting-accurate-hexagons.html
I've not actually used it though.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 15:04:55 PM »
Are you wanting to machine stitch or hand sew the hexagons?

If you are going to machine stitch this, then you would probably need a hexagon template for the centres. A rotary cutter and mat would make cutting this more accurate and, along with a quilters ruler, could be used to cut the outer strips. (It might be easier to switch to inches rather than metric measurement as most quilting rulers and templates use inches, unless you already have a metric ruler.)

If you want to hand sew the quilt using English Paper Piecing, then the same effect can be achieved with paper templates for a single size hexagon and subcutting it to give half hexagons for the border and triangles for joining.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 15:06:20 PM »
@fajita , thank you so much!  I'm such an amateur! 

I've half a chance of getting an almost accurate block now.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 15:09:39 PM »
@StitchinTime , that's half the problem, the measurements in the magazine are metric. 

The pattern is lovely, a machine stitched blanket, which I hope will be an easy make as I am very much a novice.

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 15:13:08 PM »
A  rotary  cutter and mat make for accuracy
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 15:20:26 PM »
@Lowena , I haven't got a rotary cutter and mat here at work, and I think that is the main problem.

Now that I have accurate hexagons though, I've half a chance of making something that looks OK.

Houseguests are out tonight, so I may have a little play - I can't use sharp implements with a Theo on the loose!

Jessie

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 15:57:50 PM »
It looks as though there is some wriggle room in the sizes as the instructions state "trim to complete a larger hexagon shape with 12cm sides". If you want to switch to the nearest sensible imperial measurement it may be easier and as long as you cut the triangles at the same size as you trim your larger hexagon to, they should still fit together.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 16:16:02 PM »
@StitchinTime , again thank you!  I thought it was just poor pattern making, but I really like the quilt.

Going to try to cut the pattern out later, so I can stitch it at work.

Get me, venturing onto the Darkside!  ;)

Jessie

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 16:26:56 PM »
Jessie someone made a hexagonal quilt for Project Linus and somewhere in the mish mash of PL threads is a list of credits. Unfortunately I can't find it. It's lovely and might help you along a bit.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 16:29:10 PM »
@wrenkins , toddling off to trawl through the lovely PL quilts!

Thanks wren!

Jessie

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 16:47:17 PM »
HA! here it is buried as a link on Imi's swag thread!
It was @fajita!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 16:55:34 PM »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 16:55:57 PM »
There's a video on YouTube showing how to machine stitch hexagons and triangles which might be of interest. The hexagons are just cut from a single fabric (not pieced as in your pattern) but the method will be the same.

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 18:45:33 PM »
Thanks @Iminei