The Sewing Place

The Makers Atelier

Tiggy

The Makers Atelier
« on: August 13, 2019, 16:20:02 PM »
I’ve made the stretch pencil skirt from the patterns included in this book.  And it has turned out beautifully.  I’ve used snakeskin print scuba which was originally intended for something else (but I didn’t have enough scuba in the end).
I’ve put a pouch pocket on the inside of the waist band for my phone, (because I’m sick of stashing my phone in my bra), and hemmed it with a double needle.  I have discovered that if I lengthen the stitch length, I don’t get the tunnelling effect with a double needle.

And best of all, I got it out of a metre of fabric which is a lovely side effect of being a smaller person. 
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

snoozi soozi

Re: The Makers Atelier
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 19:41:57 PM »
That's great @Tiggy. Just had a look online for this book, it costs £30, and has 7 patterns.  So how do they justify charging £25 each for the patterns?  :o  Not asking you to answer the question or owt, just my observation  :S
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 21:04:21 PM »
Book is only £20.99 post free on Amazon now. It's not really for me but that sounds a bargain.

Nevis5

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 05:00:58 AM »
Yay @Tiggy  , that sounds great.  I've made two of those stretch pencil skirts and the raw edged coat from the book so I reckon I've got my money's worth, especially as the paper patterns are so pricy. 

They do look very simple shapes but they are surprisingly nice on.  I get lots of compliments on my coat in particular.

Tiggy

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 19:46:37 PM »
I like the coat as well, but in the short version for me.  In leather maybe?  I also like the trousers, and the T shirt.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Nevis5

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 21:18:09 PM »
We obviously have similar tastes @Tiggy  :loveit:  I like the leather jacket version of the coat but already own two leather jackets so probably don't need a third....  I also like the cigarette pants but at the moment am on a wide-leg trouser roll.  I made the T shirt from the Maker's Atelier magazine (the first one I think) which I have worn and worn too.  They are easy to wear and I think (hope) look stylish.   I'm a fan! x

jintie

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 06:25:59 AM »
They sent me an email today with autumn wardrobe suggestions- that coat looks lovely. I love wardrobing books.
Rottweiler with scissors

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 06:28:40 AM »
I've just got that email, too, @jintie  .  The coat does look good the way they've styled it.  I might have to re-visit it along with my massive coat fabric stash....begs the question how many coats does one woman need though??? x

jintie

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 06:45:29 AM »
Nevis5, good point. I have a classic wool coat bought over 20 years ago, and hardly worn. And a quilted coat that I wear all the time when it's cold. And a navy raincoat. And no social life!
Rottweiler with scissors

snoozi soozi

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 07:31:56 AM »
@Vezelay you are officially an enabler. I bought the book from amazon. I already have two of their patterns which have been very well used, and in the book there's a few that I'll definitely have a go at. So a great purchase for 21 quid  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Fiona M

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »
Does anyone subscribe to the magazine?  I’ve not heard of it before, but just had a look at the website and it looks like it might be a nice holiday read, so I’ve ordered the Spring19 copy, which has a nice poncho pattern included.
Thanks for the tip off, not sure how this company had passed me by!

Fiona M

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 10:14:01 AM »
And double dammit!  Now I’ve looked at the patterns, and there are at least two yelling at me  :\. £25 a pop though ...  :o

jintie

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 15:45:46 PM »
Just ordered the book myself....
Rottweiler with scissors

jintie

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »
Nevis5, is the T shirt in the magazine for a woven or stretch? It's stretch in the book.

I like looking at the book for ideas, but I don't have a dressy style (more messy).
Rottweiler with scissors

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 12:11:24 PM »
It's a woven top, @jintie  .  It's very short though so I added quite a lot to the length.  It's a great stash buster though, only needs a little bit of fabric (and I used a wide stripe cotton remnant AND matched the stripes - go me!)  This was the first magazine pattern they published, not the more recent one in the summer issue (didn't buy that one). Am seriously pondering buying the new autumn magazine though; it looks interesting - has anyone succumbed to that yet?  Is it worth the money?