The Sewing Place

Anyone used wool fabric from Fabworks?

Marniesews

Anyone used wool fabric from Fabworks?
« on: August 13, 2019, 17:24:37 PM »
I'm interested in the Fabworks wools & wool blends to make some skirts for my granddaughter entering the 6th form (they need to be fairly conservative). I'm wondering which, if any, might be washable at a low temperature as there's no way they'll get dry cleaned. Unfortunately they'll only give a blanket 'always safest to dry clean' reply which doesn't help. I'm happy to buy a metre and wash it first  at my own risk but I'd hoped for a bit of guidance on which might be the best to try first.

The ones I looked at were a variety of 100%, 98% and 55% wool.

Anyone here got advice for me?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

sewmuchmore

Re: Anyone used wool fabric from Fabworks?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 18:40:47 PM »
I have had a number of pieces of wool from fabworks all 100% wool, some light weight some heavy (melton for a duffel coat). I have washed all of them, prior to making up, on a wool wash and have had no shrinkage or felting. BUT I have found that the quality does vary and I always visit the mill.
They do offer samples at £1 so may be worth sending for and washing to see how they react.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Marniesews

Re: Anyone used wool fabric from Fabworks?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 22:12:31 PM »
That's just what I was hoping to hear. Happy to get some samples and see which feels good before I buy some to test out.

I'm hoping to get there in person towards the end of October too and will feel much happier taking another risk or three by then.

Thank you @sewmuchmore
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.