The Sewing Place

Ellabella

« on: August 14, 2019, 13:44:45 PM »
I’ve been looking for a basic electrical machine for my grandkids to learn on and have seen a 185K on a local selling site for £35.

What do I need to check when I go to look at it, apart from the obvious things like does it actually stitch.

Do those of you with more experience think it would be suitable for a 7 and 8year old?

Roger

Re: 185k
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 22:32:23 PM »
Hi Ella,
I think a 185 might be good for kids, mine use an old Grasshopper. its a compact straight stitch so it should be a good size, the belt on my elna is set so its not too grippy so it slips if they run the motor too fast and it stops sewing.

Id check if it turns, it'll probably need a good clean and oil anyway, you may need to replace the main wire (especially if the insulation is damaged. you may need to remove a capacitor. It takes uncomplicated needles and shouldnt be a fussy machine. They're not dissimilar to a 99, just in a more modern shell. I have heard some people say they prefer handcrank for kids and theyre safer and there is I suspect mileage in that. the pedal may be tricky as the old style pedals are a little tricky and my little guys like the knee lever on the grasshopper, its at a good height for their raised chairs.

185 should be lovely I reckon, attractive machine and good place to start. Reminds me i should do my daughter some stitch patterns, so she can try some more sewing :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132