The Sewing Place

Next steps for this quilt?

RJR_38

Next steps for this quilt?
« on: August 14, 2019, 17:14:10 PM »
I decided I wanted to use the June Tailor pinwheel ruler I had to start making a lap quilt for my sister for Christmas. Pink and neutral is her preferred palette for these things so I began. The ruler was actually really easy to use. I joined up my 5 inch squares and border (pic 1). Then cut them up using the ruler and stitched them back together (pic 2).

They aren’t quite as contrasting as I had hoped but I think that once they are quilted they will probably stand out more (will probably shadow quilt just inside each pinwheel).

At the moment this centre panel will be 21x27 finished size and I want the quilt to be at least double this ideally (if not a little bit bigger - roughly 50x60 which is a standard throw size).

So... what to do next? I have plenty of fabrics (but no more of these pinks as these were recycled men’s shirts!)

I bought some african wax fabric yesterday and I wonder if I should cut out the big pink flowers and applique them onto a white background but this might be a bit bold? (Pic 3)

Or do I do lots of smaller borders but I worry the whole thing will end up looking too busy...

All ideas and thoughts welcome (however ‘out there’)

Sheilago

Re: Next steps for this quilt?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 17:30:01 PM »
It’s looking lovely. What about a broad plain border then maybe a simple pieced border followed another plain. That wouldn’t look too fussy, but you would need to find fabric in similar colours- charity shops? Here’s a quilt I found with a few pieced borders.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:32:53 AM »
Thats lovely RJR, and yes doesnt the quilt shrink a lot using this method ... we had this as a block of the month last year, was it October?? in time for Christmas ...

linky

Oooops no! it was October 2017's BOM, a whole lifetime ago!

Loving the african flowers but they may be a bit too 'strong' for the pinwheels to stand out against.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
I have a pink and white version of that on the wall in front of me as I type  0_0 .  Thanks to Iminie being my partner in the Christmas exchange two years ago!

I agree with Imi, the African print is lovely, but it's too strong to go with those lovely pale pinks.

I would make a wide pieced border separated from the pinwheels with white sashing (which you already have) another white sashing and then a pink binding.  Choose a different block for the border, but one which complements the pinwheels

21x27 ->50x60 means adding 29/33 inches, or about 15 inches all around which is quite a lot for a border.  Maybe two pieced borders (6 inch blocks).
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

fajita

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »
Light and mid blue, or pale and light blue/grey, small squares in a chequerboard design all around the edges for about 6".  2" white border outside that. Then repeat as necessary to get the required size. Mid blue binding.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:31:02 AM »
Those pastel colours give it a lovely, hazy look.  I think you could get away with a couple of (very) narrow borders and a binding in a bright colour, just to 'frame' it but otherwise stick to the hazy, pastel shades.
Life's too short for ironing.

RJR_38

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 15:47:51 PM »
Thanks everyone. I agree about the flowers - it was just wishful thinking as it would have been a shortcut haha! I have been looking at it this morning and I think I’m going to go with a very thin brighter pink border (1/2 inch) to frame it and then more white sashing before doing several borders like a medallion quilt (possibly flying geese, 4 patch etc). I’m going to start drawing out some ideas and possibly pulling some fabrics this afternoon

RJR_38

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 17:54:32 PM »
Ok so this is what I have sketched out. It’s not exactly to scale but has measurements worked out. If my calculations are correct this will give me a finished size of 50x54. I will then decide whether to add something at top/bottom or leave it as it is.

I’m planning on doing it quite scrappy using pale pinks and blues although the thin inner pink border will be quite bright to frame the centre panel. The blue border may also end up white - will decide when I get there!

Fingers crossed it will work!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 17:56:22 PM by RJR_38 »

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 21:32:55 PM »
That looks good :loveit:  It's how I work; I rough plan but also make it up as I go along.

The main thing is that you work out the sizes of the border blocks and adjust the sashing so that it all fits together.  With the centre pinwheels measuring 21 x 27 you might need to adjust the number of flying geese - maybe 3+3 on the short sides and 4+4 on the longer sides  ?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

RJR_38

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 22:08:08 PM »
Yes that’s what I’ve done Brenda. I drew it out to realise my mistake but have written notes on it - it will be 5 geese down and 4 across. All the measurements *should* add up as long as I remember to cut sashing pieces with the right seam allowance,

RJR_38

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 15:21:38 PM »
So here is the next border on the quilt. Turns out I couldn’t do the simple bit of maths (but did the hard bits ok) and needed 6 and 5 geese in each section but it all fitted ok! Quite pleased with it so far. I used this cute Liberty tea time print in the diamonds and corners and the rest is scrappy pinks and neutrals. I go on hol tomorrow so pleased to have got this part done as it feels I have stopped in a suitable place.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 16:24:58 PM »
That's looking good - and it is the way to go, rought sketches and add bit by bit until it;s the size you want.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 17:10:56 PM »
That looooooks great! Carry on RjR
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kitten

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 16:42:50 PM »
Looks lovely