The Sewing Place

A total epiphany

Bodgeitandscarper

A total epiphany
« on: August 15, 2019, 18:50:34 PM »
All I had left to do on my jacket was sew the buttons on.  Does anyone else hate sewing buttons on as much as me?
Then I thought, sewing machines can sew buttons on, but I've never tried, I thought it would be too fiddly.
How wrong I was.  I shall never sew a button on by hand again  0_0

Has any one else never tried using a machine, or do you all know how easy it is?

Kenora

Re: A total epiphany
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 19:02:37 PM »
I found it a bit fiddly the first time I tried on a s/m, mostly because of trying to hold the button in place whilst lowering the foot onto it - the number of times the button skidded off onto the floor ..... well, I just lost count. Then I invested in a foot with a rubber base which holds the button in place - that was my personal epiphany. I don't use it that often but it really works so it was worth the investment. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 19:27:03 PM »
I didn't know it was 'a thing' but I am veh veh lazy and that's how I do it!  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

aprilla

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 19:32:46 PM »
Oh yeah! Horray for the button foot.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 19:37:51 PM »
My machine instructions said to remove the foot and just use it without a foot, that seems a bit odd, but it worked.  I can see if they were more curved buttons, it would slip off.
Off to google about button feet...

Deafoldbat

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 20:09:11 PM »
But what about buttons with a shank? (Aquatic poultry behind the settee  :D)

jintie

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 20:18:40 PM »
I always use my machine- lower the feed dogs, put the button under the zigzag foot,  then hand crank it across, to change the machine setting to the right width. Then away you go, for each button.
Then hand sew in the loose ends.
Rottweiler with scissors

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 20:20:31 PM »
I've now ordered a button foot  0_0

And I won't buy any buttons with shanks  :P

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 20:53:08 PM »
I'm rather fond of self cover buttons which always have a shank - one of the few times I hand sew anything! But I have the Janome button foot for the standard buttons.

Of course there's always one of these  :D

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 21:05:00 PM »
All the machines I've ever had (ok, excluding granny's 1898 machine) have had button feet. I've never sewn them by hand on a new garment.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 21:38:20 PM by Lachica »
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

aprilla

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 21:33:49 PM »
 0_0 @Vezelay ... there was a time I might have read these descriptions. Now I've discovered my button foot is not just a funny looking little thing I think I'll pass.

Nevis5

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 07:01:22 AM »
I always forget about my button foot too!  I generally remember it just as I'm putting the finishing touches to the last button in a row of about 10  :\   but (when I remember) it works really well.  Except that, as @Deafoldbat  says, I have a LOT of buttons with shanks....

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 12:22:58 PM »
It's amazing isn't it! I had a dress with twelve buttons that i was dreading doing the buttons for, but it only took me half an hour to do all of the buttons and button holes. My mum had previously offered to sew the buttons on for me, and she was amazed at how quick I did them on the machine.

aprilla

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:39:43 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper A life changing decision to be sure  :P

I'm beginning to play with various feet more after having great success with this button foot and the rolled hem foot... I watched a video about cording during the most recent Bluprint freebie week and immediately ordered one. Gotta love the internet, shows us candy and we buy it ... luckily it's sugar free   :D

Lollipop

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 20:40:18 PM »
I don't sew many buttons @Bodgeitandscarper but had the same epiphany when I learned to sew hooks and bars on my tutus using my machine. So quick and no shredded fingertips.  0_0 Using invisible zips in leotards was also a revelation - so much easier than I thought.
Was Sewnanny