The Sewing Place

First solo garment attempt...

RJR_38

First solo garment attempt...
« on: August 18, 2019, 11:15:22 AM »
After my dress-making class I decided to attempt a half-circle skirt for my first solo project.

It has turned out ok and fits but not 100% happy with it. I definitely needed to put interfacing in the waistband (which pattern didn’t reference at all and so I didn’t really think about it).

Also my invisible zip didn’t go in as smoothly as my first attempt in the class - I had some wrinkles (pic 2). What would have caused this?

I’m still not sure if I am going to be a convert from quilting and bag making but we’ll see...

Ohsewsimple

Re: First solo garment attempt...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 11:56:39 AM »
Well for a first attempt that’s not bad!   
What pattern did you use?   Re the waistband, they always need interfacing.  As for the zip, I always interface the seam allowance before inserting the zip.  If this is a half circle skirt, the zipper area is probably on some sort of bias, rather than straight grain.  As you sew the zip in it tends to stretch or distort.  Interface with a lightweight fusible and it prevents this happening. This is what I use
https://englishcouture.co.uk/shop/fine-sheer-fusible-ecc21-fusible-interfacing/
Make sure you cut it so it is stable lengthwise as it does have a bit of stretch one way.

RJR_38

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »
Ok, thanks. I have a couple of different interfacings from bag making etc - mostly medium weight and heavier weight I think but will check.

Pattern was just a combination of tutorials I found online and measured and drew out myself - but yes all in the bias which makes sense with the zipper.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 12:47:11 PM »
Yes the zip problem is definitley down to lack of interfacing to stop the fabric from stretchng, but it doesn't need to be very heavy.  The stuff you have from bagmaking might be too much and end up making the whole zip area stiff.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 15:46:06 PM »
@RJR_38, congratulations on your first finished garment. It’s not a bad effoert, and the next one will be better.
Have a look at our tutorial section here, there is an excellent tutorial on installing invisible zips.