The Sewing Place

Toyota Morval and Merritt Machines

JustSew

Toyota Morval and Merritt Machines
« on: August 18, 2019, 12:18:50 PM »
Hi there,   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  I have been passed these two vintage machines - a Toyota Morval and a Merritt - and would like to find out more about them. I don’t know if they work - only the Morval has an adaptor plug which is looking a little worse for wear.

I only sew clothes for my daughter and probably wouldn’t have much use for them but if they could be of use to anyone I’d like them to find a good home.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Surest1tch

Re: Toyota Morval and Merritt Machines
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 18:58:48 PM »
I don't know anything about those machines but they look like good solid machines. I'd have them in a heartbeat if we lived closer

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 22:10:58 PM »
I don't know where you are in Wales (obviously!) but if you are near Aberystwyth Craft is a "not-for-profit business whose sole purpose is to reuse domestic items and find them a new home".

They sell donated items at prices that don't include a profit element for them (with further reductions for students and those on benefits, I think), and they quite often have sewing machines in their shop.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 19:22:36 PM »
@JustSew, if you really don't have a use for them why not put them on Gumtree or freecycle, please don't take them to the tip.

JustSew

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 20:15:46 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately I’m at the opposite end of Wales! But I shall look to see if there’s anything similar here. I’d like to see if they still work but have no manuals and for one, no plug.

Don’t worry, I will definitely not just take them to the tip - will try and find a home for them.

The Merritt in particular is extremely heavy - were they made from cast iron?

Lizzy777

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 13:24:10 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately I’m at the opposite end of Wales! But I shall look to see if there’s anything similar here. I’d like to see if they still work but have no manuals and for one, no plug.

Don’t worry, I will definitely not just take them to the tip - will try and find a home for them.

The Merritt in particular is extremely heavy - were they made from cast iron?

I've just seen on for sale on ebay for £100!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-RENOWNED-SINGER-MERRITT-HEAVY-DUTY-SEWING-MACHINE-EXPERT-SERVICED-FREE-UK-/303249972461?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10