The Sewing Place

Displaying photos

So Chic

Displaying photos
« on: August 19, 2019, 16:22:53 PM »
I have just looked at the Jalie top made by Fiona M and she is on her side and not upright.  I've noticed that some but not all photos also display this way, is there any way of changing it so that people are upright?
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Francesca

Re: Displaying photos
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 16:39:48 PM »
If the uploader uploads an image that is the right way up it'll be displayed as such.

Note, systems like iPads and some phones will display photos upright even when the original source file is not correctly orientated.

The forum just displays the images as they are uploaded.

Fiona M

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 17:20:40 PM »
If the uploader uploads an image that is the right way up it'll be displayed as such.

Note, systems like iPads and some phones will display photos upright even when the original source file is not correctly orientated.

The forum just displays the images as they are uploaded.
I don’t understand this either, and rather resent being told I am somehow to blame!
I only take photos one way up, and upload them from the phone to the forum.  The phone remains ‘the right way up’ throughout the entire process, and on initially uploading to the thread the photo appears the right way up? so I fail to see how they can suddenly become ‘incorrectly orientated’ when the thread is closed and then revisited. 
There is no option on my phone to change the orientation of a photo.
However, when I click on the sideways image, it appears the right way up again - also the case with other people’s sideways images.
I will also say that this is the only website on which I experience this phenomenon!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 17:23:04 PM by Fiona M »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 19:21:57 PM »
I find photos taken on my phone appear sideways on here.  I do however always up load them to Pixlr to resize them and that shows them sideways too, so I rotate them in there. 
Interestingly, if I edit a pic on my phone, then save it, then upload it, it's the right way up.  Nope, no idea why.

Fiona M

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 19:37:30 PM »
Interestingly, if I edit a pic on my phone, then save it, then upload it, it's the right way up.  Nope, no idea why.
Thanks, I'll try that.  :toast:

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 19:50:53 PM »
Similar to what I said above, it's probably because once you open the image in an editor and resave it, you're saving the base picture file as oriented in line with the accelerometer data. I expect Pixlr also has a similar set up to us where it doesn't do any sort of manipulation to the image before upload (obviously being an editor itself it probably knows you want the base image file uploaded with no changes) so it'll show the same in Pixlr.

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 19:59:33 PM »
I downloaded FionaM's photograph from the Jalie thread as an example and inspected the EXIF data. It's marked as Orientation 6 which as you can see from the diagram I include of image mappings, is on its side. Any software that manipulates images for upload will be taking the orientation and subtracting one to mimic the desired orientation. Unfortunately SMF base image software does not manipulate the image in this way like other sites might.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 23:17:00 PM »
Whilst I don't fully understand the techie stuff that Francesca has explained I do know that if I take a photo on my phone and email it to myself it appears to be the right way up, but then when I upload to TSP it is usually (always?) sideways on the forum but if I take it into iPhoto or Photos (on Mac) and then export it again, without doing any other editing, when it's uploaded to TSP it appears the right way up.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 07:26:51 AM »
I find the same as @BrendaP with both  iPad and phone. I always use my iPad in landscape format & think it's designed for portrait format but that doesn't explain why I take photos with phone in portrait & they rotate. When I click a sideways photo in a forum post it enlarges to correct orientation though.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 07:45:35 AM »
If you download an app, or use a site to inspect the EXIF data of photos you'll be able to see the orientation marker number and compare it to the chart above to see what the base file orientation is. The reason the photos show correctly after being opened in a browser as an independent file is because most browsers nowadays will open the file and orient it as per the EXIF data, the same way the gallery app and such will.

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »
If you download an app, or use a site to inspect the EXIF data of photos you'll be able to see the orientation marker number and compare it to the chart above to see what the base file orientation is. The reason the photos show correctly after being opened in a browser as an independent file is because most browsers nowadays will open the file and orient it as per the EXIF data, the same way the gallery app and such will.

Might as well be Chinese!...
I use my iPad in portrait and then edit..most stuff turns out OK.

Fiona M

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 12:36:32 PM »
Testing...

Fiona M

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »
That seems to work!  Thanks ladies, for the helpful suggestions.  :toast: