The Sewing Place

I won an eBay Singer 306!

Radiofan

Re: I won an eBay Singer 306!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 23:17:06 PM »
I must have been thinking of a different model, the 306 bobbin case will need modification to take 15x1 needles. 206 x 13 needles have the same shank and eye, but have a shorter tip below the eye.

I can send you a pdf manual for the 306 if you can't find it online.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:22:08 AM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Addiscomber

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 23:54:44 PM »
I didn't know that there was a possibility of the needles being discontinued. I would have thought that the renewed interest in such machines would have helped. In fact the more sizes they made the more people are likely to buy them. I'm glad now that I managed to acquire enough to probably see me out  0_0  I got a bobbin case that is supposed to allow use of 15x1 needles but it didn't seem to work. I remember someone on the Vintage Singer Yahoo list saying that she could use 15x1 needles but I lost contact with her before I could get any details. Discussion of the topic is virtually banned on the list, but I expect that you have seen articles about it on the Internet.

I'm pretty sure that I have a twin needle that came with my machine. The chap selling it was clearing his parent's house, and he told me that his mother had made pretty much all of her clothes on it. I got a green cardboard box with everything that it had originally. Those red cases of accessories reach quite a price on ebay on their own, and I was staggered to see how much sets of 24 cams go for  :o. I reckon I could probably more than quadruple my money if I sold it now, but I love my big, butch machine.

He had set it up for me to see, and whilst having his lunch it roared into life all by itself and frightened the life out of him. I wasn't bothered as I knew the capacitors were an issue and DH and I removed 2, I think it was, from the foot controller, and have had no issues with it since.

Radiofan

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 08:12:07 AM »
... I got a bobbin case that is supposed to allow use of 15x1 needles but it didn't seem to work.

... I was staggered to see how much sets of 24 cams go for  :o. I reckon I could probably more than quadruple my money if I sold it now, but I love my big, butch machine.

... I knew the capacitors were an issue and DH and I removed 2, I think it was, from the foot controller, and have had no issues with it since.
RE the 15x1 bobbin case, there is still the issue of feed timing with thicker fabrics. I think it can be re-timed though.

An  original set of cams can cost quite a bit and is always good to have in the collection. Nowadays, they can be 3D printed: Singer Cam Creator on Thingiverse.

You're supposed to replace those capacitors BTW. They were put in to suppress TV interference that the motor and pedal produce.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:30:21 AM by Radiofan »

LeilaMay

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 09:11:36 AM »
On the subject of the internal belt - when I bought mine it was soaked with oil - a very bad thing.

It's not possible to remove it without MAJOR surgery, but I did get mine into a better condition by the use of stuff called "contact cleaner" which at the time I got from Maplin.
"A general purpose cleaning solvent that will remove stains, coatings, printing inks, oils, grease and dirt"

I sprayed the belt in sections, and let the solution drip out onto wads of kitchen paper placed below. Juts in case that's helpful  :)

Leila

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »
I think the thing I like most about the vintage Singers, is the fact that for the most part, they are fixable, and by me too!

Since I started my vintage journey, I can strip down a machine, remove, clean and replace the tension mechanism, remove a capacitor, etc etc.

I find it so relaxing, but it's a pity it takes up so much space!  I haven't counted my machines lately, but I do know that some need to be re-homed.  :(

There was a wonderful documentary on the Clydebank Singer factory last week, which explained why these machines are still so popular, and there are still so many knocking around, still used in some industries.

Hope your new machine arrives in good nick @Roger , and that you find some needles.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Addiscomber

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 10:23:23 AM »

You're supposed to replace those capacitors BTW. They were put in to suppress TV interference that the motor and pedal produce.
The capacitors are no longer needed, as the TV systems have changed from 405 lines to digital.

Roger

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »
It’s arrived!

I was having nightmares about it just being the case taped up but this is very decent!

The excitement! :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
Looks very well packed!  Excited for you  :D

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Radiofan

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 12:23:47 PM »
The capacitors are no longer needed, as the TV systems have changed from 405 lines to digital.
The band previously used by the 405-line TV system has been re-allocated for another use, so you will be interferring with that. In any case, motor noise is wide-band, meaning it could interfere with other things too.

There are laws on "elecromagnetic compatibility", I would never encourage people to alter a design. If the machine came with caps, it should remain with caps.

Addiscomber

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 17:23:29 PM »
The band previously used by the 405-line TV system has been re-allocated for another use, so you will be interferring with that. In any case, motor noise is wide-band, meaning it could interfere with other things too.

There are laws on "elecromagnetic compatibility", I would never encourage people to alter a design. If the machine came with caps, it should remain with caps.

Please could you point me to the exact law that says that I should replace the capacitor?

Radiofan

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 18:37:58 PM »
Please could you point me to the exact law that says that I should replace the capacitor?
It's the EMC Directive, which applies to serviced equipment as well. The capacitors were put in specifically to suppress noise. Equipment must not interfere with other users of the radio spectrum.

Addiscomber

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 19:13:51 PM »
Thanks.

LeilaMay

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 20:39:07 PM »
It's the EMC Directive, which applies to serviced equipment as well. The capacitors were put in specifically to suppress noise. Equipment must not interfere with other users of the radio spectrum.

Thanks for that. My OH always replaces the capacitors on stuff for me too.