The Sewing Place

I won an eBay Singer 306!

Roger

I won an eBay Singer 306!
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:38:28 AM »
Hi all,

I’ve just bid on and won a black eBay 306 needless to say it’s not immaculate. Looks like it has a lot of parts with it and a little red box, which looks like it has stuff in it and a 201 box too and some additional paper work too. The paintwork has lost its lustre, and the decals look just a little worn.

I hope it has a bobbin and bobbin case and isn’t wrecked by wrong needles.

I asked the seller to pack it carefully, I’m just hoping he’s not throwing a ton of polystyrene nuggets into the case and stuck it in the post... we’ll see... I’ll let you know what I get when it arrives, it also didn’t have a photo from the front...

On reflection why do I do this to myself? eBay sewing machines put the wind up me!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Efemera

Re: I won an eBay Singer 306!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:15:24 AM »
Look forward to seeing how you get on with it...I have one but I’ve not really used it. I do have a correct twin needle with it.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
I googled to see a pic of what you're buying, and came across this  - linky...  :P

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
Always look forward to seeing the progress of a 'rescue' machine. It looks very sturdy.

Will you post pics of your restoration @Roger ?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
Can we see the before when it comes and the after when you've renovated it please Roger.

Roger

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 12:10:12 PM »
Of course I’ll post some progress pics if it arrives whole :) I’m excited to see it and really nervous about it being trusted to my Hermes....

Bodge; the 300 models are a complicated batch, they’re beautiful machines, they remind me of Art Deco trains, and I had a 319 for a bit and that was lovely. But they do get mixed press... Helen has choice words for them too, and for their users... but she’s not a fan of slant shanks either!

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 12:18:41 PM »
They do look lovely, seems like they may be "Marmite" machines, either love 'em or hate 'em!

Look forward to seeing pics of yours  :)

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 12:50:55 PM »
If anyone can love it back to life you can, @Roger
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 12:56:33 PM »
I loved mine, such fun. I let some machines go because they too heavy for me to move around without help (arthritis) otherwise I'd still have mine and we could compare  :)

Enjoy
 :vintage:

Roger

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 17:50:02 PM »
Im hoping i can coax it back to being beautiful and useful:)

Bodge you’re right they are marmitey, they use an extinct needle size, but there are a few work arounds, in that there’s a similar industrial needle and a different bobbin case that can be used.

I’m looking forward to trying it Leila.

First Hurdle... it’s got to arrive whole via MyHermes...

Addiscomber

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 17:41:46 PM »
The needles aren't exactly extinct, but only produced in sizes 12 and 14. I got some from Cindy Peters in America, but she has since passed away. They are sold on Amazon at £7.99 for 10 size 90/14, and I think I saw them on College Sewing's site a few years ago when I got my 306 but they were out of stock. Allbrands in America sell both sizes in larger packs but the shipping and duty makes them extremely expensive.

I got my 306 from ebay but was able to collect it in person. They are very heavy, but are a zig zag machine (with metal innards) that can be treadled, which could be useful if we are going to have power cuts!! 

There are 2 types of 306, have you got the type that takes cams?

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 19:04:45 PM »
I got needles from Helen Howes. My machine came with an original twin needle.

Roger

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 22:15:38 PM »
I hope so Addiscomber, there isnt actually a picture of the front, but there are some Cams included with it so fingers crossed. Although thats another reason to be concerned about its arrival.

Are Schmetz still making the 12 and 14 needles? I emailed them about 18months ago and they said the likelihood of continuing to make them wasnt good and if I found any for sale to get a good stock. So I put quite a few aside... but its a shame not to get the other sizes but tbf I think I mostly use 12s or 16s and anything delicate can go on a different machine :)

Twin needles are rarer than hens teeth, in the US they sell for 50$ plus... i have one put aside from a very sad 319 I had briefly, it was very beautiful but the damage to the enamel was beyond me, but I got a few fun bits and bobs from it...

Apparently the 306 was sent on Tuesday - I dont have any tracking details :( and I want it to have arrived already and get it out of the postal services mitts... I hope its ok and not too badly treated!

Radiofan

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 22:57:14 PM »
...they use an extinct needle size, but there are a few work arounds, in that there’s a similar industrial needle and a different bobbin case that can be used.
Last time I read the manual. They also accept 15x1 needles.

I was tempted once, but I've never been a fan of that style of bobbin.

Internally it uses a strange fabric belt with staples on it, a bit expensive to replace.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:40:54 AM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Roger

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 23:10:45 PM »
I haven’t seen a manual fora 306 yet, should be one included! That would be exciting if 15x1 needles were an option.

The fabric and staples belt is a bit of an oddity, I’m hoping this machine’s is ok, it does look like it was carefully stored in its case.