The Sewing Place

Types of fabric

wrenkins

Types of fabric
« on: August 22, 2019, 19:51:59 PM »
I need some advice please.

I bought a pattern yesterday to use for some fabric that I have in stash. I fancy a pair of "bags" and these seem to fit the bill. The fabric is this.

Here's the thing. The fabric is described as mid to heavy weight but the pattern recommends things like gaberdine, cotton sateen and the like. It certainly isn't summer fabric but it's not duffle coat either. I'm going to do a toile (wearable I hope) in a lighter suiting weight stripe first for fitting and snagging.

What could go wrong? There may be some issues around the fly with lots of seams and things but are there other things to consider that I haven't thought of?

How heavy is too heavy?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kwaaked

Re: Types of fabric
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 20:15:48 PM »
The big issue you're going to face is the drape.  The fabric you chose is going to be stiffer then the envelope and may require slightly different techniques to get it to lay smooth on the body, like the pleats needing to be sewn down to keep them smooth.

Also that is a high waistband, and the bulk may be uncomfortable/be too bulky.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 20:38:23 PM »
Mmmm I hadn't noticed the pleats until after I bought the pattern and that's what made me double check the fabric requirements.  :(
Darn it!
Thanks @Kwaaked.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 21:53:19 PM »
The fabric is described as coating.  I wouldn’t have thought it suitable for trousers at all. 

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 22:04:29 PM »
The fabric is described as coating.  I wouldn’t have thought it suitable for trousers at all.
I didn't honestly remember anything about it until after I had the pattern and went and hoaked it out of my stash cupboard.
I suppose it was just wishful thinking.  :(

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 22:18:54 PM »
Without actually seeing it it’s difficult to say but it’s nit something I would choose.  A nice crepe would work wonderfully  :)