The Sewing Place

Seat covers for motorhome

Bodgeitandscarper

Seat covers for motorhome
« on: August 22, 2019, 21:08:42 PM »
Thought I'd share this with you lovely lot if anyone is interested.

The moho needs seat covers cos of our two dogs, but we (or rather I) wanted this one cos it has lovely light coloured upholstery, so it seems a shame to put anything dark on them.

I've bought some very light grey fleece, and a couple of little bits of blue for little stripes, and I'm going to machine embroider them.  There are two bench seats, so seat cushions and separate back cushions for each, then a couple of little end cushions.  Also I will do two covers/throws for the single beds.

I got a free trial of some embroidery digitising software that would auto-digitize for me. (To buy the full version, it's $499, I can't afford that for two designs!!)  I had to trace two bits of pattern off a cushion, which then became the designs for the embroidery.
The fun bit was trying to decide on shades of blue embroidery thread, but I think I've cracked it.

I've done a trial cover today, and it's worked well.  I've simple made it like a fitted sheet, although I'll need to alter one measurement due to the widthways stretch of the fabric, but otherwise it's fine.
So, tomorrow, I start cutting out, then I need to decide how much embroidery I'll put on each cover. 

The pic is of one of the loose cushions, and is the same fabric as the curtains, so that's the colours I want to match, but the pattern on the front is a different blue to the piping and back of it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 21:12:49 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Lowena

Re: Seat covers for motorhome
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 21:13:21 PM »
That's super
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 21:16:46 PM »
Lovely and light, that will be nice  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 08:02:33 AM »
That's lovely @Bodgeitandscarper . Looking forward to seeing the continuing project. Poor Miranda, our camper, has to put up with old towels to keep doggy paws off the upholstery.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
Look forward to seeing the finished covers.  Puplingtons can play havoc with upholstery!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 19:29:30 PM »
It's quite hard cutting very large rectangles of stretchy fleece when they are bigger than your cutting surface.  But hopefully they are straight.  Oh, and I discover how to use my rotary cutter ruler thingy correctly, instead of pressing down on the cutting head, you sort of push it more from the back.  No wonder it didn't always cut properly!

Having decided to add strips of blue at either end of the seat, I then had to find a nice machine stitch to sew them on, that didn't take forever to stitch.  I've done both pieces of fabric for the seats, I think they are looking ok.

I'm going to work out what/where the embroidery is going and do that, then I'll sew the corners and hem for the elastic.  The pic shows it loosely draped over one seat standing sideways - if you see what I mean. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 15:44:14 PM »
Today has been starting the emboidery  having finally decided a layout and which colour.  It's not been a total success.  The design has pulled s lot of the black bobbin thred to the front, so the denim-y blue looks very dark.  It'll do, but not what I really wanted.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 16:38:48 PM »
It may not be what you intended, but it does look very nice.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 16:44:08 PM »
What @Acorn said.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

fajita

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 17:06:11 PM »
Despite not being as your vision, it does still look very nice indeed.

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 18:08:40 PM »
It's beautiful - and very effective. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 18:39:05 PM »
It's a start, more embroidery to do yet,  I may wind a bobbin in the same thread as the top, that'll sort the problem.  And of course, it's a dog blanket really, it doesn't have to perfect!

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 19:14:34 PM »
Shush!  Don't let the pooches hear you say that!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 19:45:55 PM »
Now using a bobbin filled with (almost) matching thread, and I have the desired blue.
One bent needle and one broken needle later, I now have a seat base cover with finished embroidery, just need to do the corners and hem the edges to insert the elastic.

mudcat

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 00:29:51 AM »
I love the "branches" on the left/right sides.  The middle ones are nice too but there is something about the other ones that speak to me.