The Sewing Place

Burda 6972 Dress - not a success!

annieeg

Burda 6972 Dress - not a success!
« on: August 24, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
In the interests of openness I am posting these pictures of a dress which is very much NOT a success.
I am probably going to take it apart and use the fabric to make a shorter button through top (probably a Lekala TNT I have).

I've posted a link to the Burda pattern so you can see what it should look like... :[
https://www.google.com/search?q=burda+6972&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=_cXESx89PAMbsM%253A%252CgoCJBMw_0Z0XJM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTdRfKxIeHKxBm_YrwOJoVIVBh1GQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipy9qLp5vkAhWQsaQKHX3xDPoQ9QEwA3oECAkQDw#imgrc=_cXESx89PAMbsM:&spf=1566642775450

but - as you can see - mine does not look like that.
The problems:
Used wrong fabric (really nice cotton ditzy print) - should be more drapey (probably viscose or challis ?)
Could not get the neck to sit properly - in spite of several attempts and help from a sewing group (thank you @Holly Berry ).
OH says its really frumpy! (which is  true   :'( ).
Its too long and has a tendency too like a tent!
I think I will try the pattern in a viscose shorter version.
So - this afternoon - I shall sit in the sunshine and take it all apart!!!
If anyone has any comments (or criticisms) - I would appreciate it.  I have a thick skin and appreciate honesty! :D

Lastly, can anyone recommend a pattern for a similar type of semi-fitted dress which might be suitable for cotton?
I'm trying to make something which is cool but semi-smart for work.

thanks!
Annie  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]      [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:40:02 AM by annieeg »

jintie

Re: Burda 6972 Dress - not a success!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 12:46:42 PM »
First thoughts- the bodice looks ok, so I would remove the skirt part and recut it as  slimmer A-line with no darts. Sounds easy- depends how skilled you are at using the same skirt paper pattern, folding out  the darts, then recutting.
This would rebalance your figure, which looks slightly top heavy.
Maybe shorten the sleeves? I did this on shirt by taking a horiztontal tuck all the way round above the finished cuff.
Rottweiler with scissors

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 12:51:25 PM »
I like that style but I would chop it at tunic length and wear it with leggings and boots.

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
@jintie
Thanks for good idea :D

jintie

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 13:27:48 PM »
Annieg, thank you.
 I suspect that as well as good shoulders etc on top, that you have a shapely bottom half, a pity to hide it under lots of fabric.
Rottweiler with scissors

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 13:46:51 PM »
It looks frumpy because of a combination of fabric choice (ditsy print is nice, background colour also but not together in a large area), the sleeves, which are too long, and the length. The skirt, as you say, is baggy because the fabric doesn't drape. I'd shorten the sleeves, cut it to mid-thigh and wear over leggings. I think you'd suit a more fitted style in a solid colour, possibly quite a vibrant one (without seeing hair colour/ skin colour it's difficult to say what) just below or just above the knee, with either much shorter or much longer sleeves, also fairly fitted. Have you tried a princess seamed pattern

You did ask - sorry if I've offended.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 15:49:40 PM »
Thanks to all for the good ideas.  I've now got food for thought and will let you know the outcome.
What's most helpful to me is that no-one has suggested abandoning the top half which is what I had thought to do.
I'm thinking cutting it much shorter and perhaps taking out some of the fullness of the skirt and certainly tailoring the slEeves somehow (I.e. Combining all the suggestions.)
I learned a lot with this pattern - eg I just  cut the sleeves shorter but didn't bother to taper the seams in a bit which is why they are too wide (and too long) for a short sleeve look.
I'm trying to move away from leggings which is why I went down the longer dress route but at least I accept the dress doesn't work as it is.
@Francesca I like your suggestion of the boots but it's not a look I think appropriate for me.
I have substantial fluid retention in my ankles and feet and can't wear boots for any length of time because my feet/legs swell and become unbearably hot. :'(

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 15:52:01 PM »
@Lachica   Just to add that I am not at all offended :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 15:56:38 PM »
I like this a lot more than you do @annieeg  and would happily wear it as it is! As others have suggested it might be a good idea to shorten the skirt. Although I do have some mid-calf dresses I tend to find that those that hit just below the knee  - or are proper maxis- are a better length.  If you are happy  to show a bit more upper arm, shorter sleeves might be a better look. You could pin up the sleeves and the hem to see how it looks. Also I wonder if you could make the sleeves a bit narrower....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 15:58:53 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Holly Berry

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 16:54:38 PM »
Hi Annie,

Sorry I didn’t get chance to have a look the other day. From a distance it looked ok, but in the photos there’s something wrong with the arm scye it looks too tight, which is pulling the neck. Is the front neck edge on the CF? Although on the pattern photo the neck and arm syce looks like your photo.

I can’t remember did you do a FBA? The pattern doesn’t have a dart, but if you look the fabric is trying to make a dart, also the CF is rising up. If you did a FBA did you lengthen the CF. I think the skirt is a matter of preference.

If you bring the pattern to the next sewing meeting I’ll have a look.

Procrastination get behind me

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 21:10:41 PM »
I think the main problem is with the sleeves, too long and too wide, and probably the length, just on the knee I think would be better.   I quite like the fabric.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 00:01:17 AM »
I agree with others, it's the length which makes it look 'frumpy'.

If knee length rather than mid calf doesn't work for you then take it up to mid thigh and wear with trousers.

IMO the illustration on the original packet looks frumpy in the orange dress version but the tunic doesn't - and you have chosen a fabric pattern very similar to that illustration.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.