The Sewing Place

Tutu net - overseas suppliers

Hellesbelles

Tutu net - overseas suppliers
« on: August 30, 2019, 14:00:02 PM »
Hello, this is my first post :) until now I have bought my tutu net from uk suppliers but I was looking at purchasing some white in larger quantities from overseas (China) and wondered if anyone had any recommendations or experience of this that may help me to decide whether to take the plunge or whether to stay safe and continue order from the uk. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance ;)

Sewbusy

Re: Tutu net - overseas suppliers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 17:15:37 PM »
Some years ago as an old TSF member I did a lot of research involving many hours, emails and telephone calls re the availability and supply of stiff net for classical tutus. Older members with an interest in tutu making will probably recall this.

I had samples and quotes for supply of same  (wholesale) from China, quite a long convoluted process with the ultimate result that what was available at the time was not of such quality as classical tutu makers here required and minimum quantity was way beyond what I wished to purchase.

Heathcoats of Tiverton England were the best option for larger supplies and a good weight (27gsm) if I remember correctly was available in a large number of colours, prices and delivery were very competitive and their service then was excellent.
Changes in manufacturing processes meant that supply went out of production and the subsequent current A1866 was somewhat less than satisfactory in comparison.

I did source an excellent tutu net from Italy, also available in many colours. Again, minimal quantity 50 metres of 300mm width. 

Lollipop

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 20:02:20 PM »
I remember the post on TSF and I also sourced some in Milan. It was half the price we currently pay and delivery wasn't exorbitant. Sadly I can't remember who they were  :S
It's funny but my friend and I were chatting about importing some from Italy only last week.  My issue would be storage for a cost effective quantity.
On the subject of Heathcoates net, the quality has really dropped and I now only use a bit of the 50gsm to add extra body in a couple of layers and largely use Italian net from Tutus and Textiles.
Keep us posted if you manage to get any decent stuff @Hellesbelles
Was Sewnanny

Sewbusy

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 21:23:29 PM »
I purchased 200 metres from Italy, the box wasn't too difficult to store (for me) and it's not that long since I sold off what remained. Although I obtained current prices for the net not long ago I've done very little sewing over the last few years so didn't order any more. Now, with the uncertainty over the Brexit situation it isn't on my agenda at the moment.