The Sewing Place

Wanted: Coverstitch machine

Kittensposies

Wanted: Coverstitch machine
« on: September 01, 2019, 16:56:22 PM »
Hello all!
I’m on the hunt for a decent second hand coverstitch. I’m sewing a lot of jersey for my son and twin needle hemming is making me really cross  :S
I’ve seen the thread on the Britannia machines and the available ones are just above my comfortable budget. I’d like to spend £250 max.
Thank you!

Gernella

Re: Wanted: Coverstitch machine
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »
Bit above your budget but looks as if it is nearly brand new - reconditioned:

https://www.psmc.co.uk/acatalog/Janome-Coverpro-1000CP-Coverstitch-machine-3605.html#SID=33

£349  -  I have this machine and it is really good.

Have you got any elastic on that £250?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kittensposies

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 09:59:34 AM »
@Gernella Ahh Pembertons!! What a gem of a shop. Thanks so much for linking me to that machine but sadly I have no spare money so budget is limited :( Combined money pits of old car and young child have decimated my fun money. (On the plus side it is making me use my stash rather than buying new fabric!!)

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 11:54:27 AM »
Oh what a shame, @Kittensposies  it seems such a good buy when you look round the market.  It makes such a good job as well, I used mine yesterday and other than change the colours I never even had to change the settings from the last job.

Although I notice that anything over £200 they let you pay over 12 months with no interest, although a single admin fee of £29.00.

You're right about cars though, old or not, flipping money pits.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewbusy

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »
@Gernella Ahh Pembertons!! What a gem of a shop. Thanks so much for linking me to that machine but sadly I have no spare money so budget is limited :( Combined money pits of old car and young child have decimated my fun money. (On the plus side it is making me use my stash rather than buying new fabric!!)

Could you maybe sell off some of your stash to help fund the purchase of the coverstitch machine? I know from experience that it is very easy to keep a hold of fabric waiting for the right garment/inspiritation or occasion to use it.

If you have a credit card with sufficient available funds, it is a very sensible way to fund the purchase, gives you a lot more security. Please don't think I'm advising going in to debt for the full amount. You could pay off the money you do have available and plan the repayment of the remaining sum tailored to your needs. Just a thought if you don't want to miss a
very good deal/bargain. You of course know best what is right for you.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 15:20:46 PM by Sewbusy »

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 16:58:07 PM »
What about this one @Kittensposies, never bought anything  from  them or heard anything but I suppose worth a punt.

https://www.hampshiresewingmachines.com/product/Used%20Janome%201000cpx%20coverstitch

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 17:12:56 PM »
I have no personal experience of them, but I was given a very firm anti-recommendation for them pretty recently.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kittensposies

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 17:15:55 PM »
@Sewbusy That’s a really good idea to sell some fabric! One of my maternity leave tasks was putting it all into a database so I do actually know what I have and what I can do without!

@Gernella That’s interesting about the instalments... I wonder if it classes as debt? I’ll look into it! The Hampshire one would have been perfect except it’s collection only

Kittensposies

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 17:43:50 PM »
I have no personal experience of them, but I was given a very firm anti-recommendation for them pretty recently.

Good to know, Acorn, thank you!

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 10:13:19 AM »
I'm in a totally different situation to you @Kittensposies, but anything like this  that I couldn't afford totally, I would just stick on my credit card. Put it all on then pay off in a lump what I had saved and the rest on a fixed amount that would clear in however many months you wanted.  I have two credit cards, one I clear totally every month and another for occasions such as this.

But then I'm not in the same situation as you, my dependants are three cats (DH can fend for himself).

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
Another thought would be when people ask what you'd like for Christmas/birthday ask if you could have a donation towards the cover stitch machine fund. I did this one year and it helped fund my Humax recorder (I paid the rest).

I had a separate little savings account in the past for sewing spending and put money in every month, plus any birthday/Christmas gifts of cash. It then built up a bit and I had enough to buy the next machine!

Kittensposies

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 13:21:17 PM »
Grrrr I really don’t like this forum sometimes! I wrote a reply to both of you then it just vanished  :angry:

@Gernella Nornally that would be my approach too, but we have to remortgage soon and with childcare costs I think we’re going to have a hard time, so trying to keep credit cards at zero  :\

@SewRuthieSews I think that’s what I’m going to do! I just had my birthday present for this year (a plastic free safety razor) but it’s not long ‘til Christmas!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 13:27:19 PM »
Yes it was me that told @Acorn to avoid Hampshire Sewing Machines.  Horrible man and so unhelpful.  I worked in the sewing business for years. 

Sewingforfun

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 09:20:54 AM »
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Kittensposies

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 13:22:40 PM »
Hi @CarolC,

Not in time, sadly. The notifications for this website keep going into my junk mail, so I only saw it today. Hi hum!

Thanks for flagging for me though - I’m grateful!

You saw @annieeg's offer, I assume...? https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,8233.0.html