The Sewing Place

2 quilts for gifts

RJR_38

Re: 2 quilts for gifts
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 21:26:56 PM »
I used basting spray for the first time on my last quilt rather than quilting pins and I’m converted. So much quicker and easier!

LeilaMay

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.
@StitchinTime - yes that's the idea I might pursue, to cover the dining tabletop and clip. I wondered how folks found it to work - thank you for the input.

Sadly no basting sprays or any other sprays here for that mater - such things, even if they don't have an apparent odour to us - can be lethal to a parrot, so we avoid them all. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you all, have a great stitching day
Leila

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 13:30:17 PM »
Have you a local quilt group or emporia who will let you baste on their tables Leila ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

RJR_38

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 06:36:20 AM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.
@StitchinTime - yes that's the idea I might pursue, to cover the dining tabletop and clip. I wondered how folks found it to work - thank you for the input.

Sadly no basting sprays or any other sprays here for that mater - such things, even if they don't have an apparent odour to us - can be lethal to a parrot, so we avoid them all. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you all, have a great stitching day
Leila

My mum has an African Grey so I know what you mean. She sets up a wallpaper table outside and bastes out there with spray (with doors shut and away from room where parrot is). It is of course weather dependent but it works well.

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 07:49:20 AM »
@LeilaMay ... are you still wanting labels ????

Cos Elvis is smokin' right now !!!!

LeilaMay

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 16:49:24 PM »
I tried using the mattress and pins, but that's been rather a failure, and the secnd quilt is going to be wonkier than I would like  :) Re-reading I see Lowena used spray baste when she had the layers on the mattres - now I get what I was doing wrong LOL. Oh well.

I am still seeking very fat clips that might hold the layers on our dining table - it's a much thicker piece of wood that a 'normal' table as it was made by hand by the Beloved, so gorgeous but impractical (don't let him hear me say that).

Anyway the green/turquoise/blue squares are underway, same pattern as the pink one, then I could perhaps get back to my lovely indigo top . . .

Here's the pink one
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

StitchinTime

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2019, 17:01:05 PM »
I am still seeking very fat clips that might hold the layers on our dining table - it's a much thicker piece of wood that a 'normal' table

@LeilaMay Try searching for "Spring Clamps" on Amazon (other online retailers etc ...) as these are meant for DIY use and are larger than the plant clips I use.

LeilaMay

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 12:32:24 PM »
And here is the turquoise/green/blue one finished - hanging over the rail in the conservatory as it's too wet outside for it to dry.    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]     [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

LeilaMay

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
My mum has an African Grey so I know what you mean. She sets up a wallpaper table outside and bastes out there with spray (with doors shut and away from room where parrot is). It is of course weather dependent but it works well.

Yes, folks who don't keep parrots have no idea of the vast number of products that give of fumes toxic to birds  :(

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 16:26:19 PM »
That is very subtle (in a most excellent way) and Im loving the backing ... MQ ???

Surest1tch

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 17:37:45 PM »
Yes, folks who don't keep parrots have no idea of the vast number of products that give of fumes toxic to birds  :(

Ive got a Panama Amazon parrot and definitely agree with you on that, no fly spray, no teflon coated pans, no paint or any other decorating fumes and a whole host of other no pong or chemical smells too long to list

Surest1tch

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2019, 17:42:19 PM »
Those quilts are gorgeous and I do so admire you and anyone else who can quilt. Learning was on my to do list when I retired but family issues are keeping me so busy I haven't had time, in fact the last few months have seen me reduced to just repairing dog toys

wrenkins

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2019, 07:21:38 AM »
@Surest1tch the mug rugs would have been ideal for you to get started. Tiny, quick and good fun too. I think most people tried out new-to-them techniques, I certainly did, and they are not judged, just loved and appreciated.
Maybe you would think about the next swap? or alongathon???  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!