The Sewing Place

Hi from New York!

Nerys

Re: Hi from New York!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 17:51:26 PM »
Hi and welcome. :flower: :sew:
 Fond memories of NY visited in spring 1981. I am thinking of maybe sewing machine at least try ...again. I see you started machine sewing December last year, did you find it easy? Lucky you being in NY with all the fabric shops. I see a Youtube video about NY garment district fabrics/ Bernadette Banner. Is very nice seeing fabrics etc.

mums sewing machine

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 13:14:25 PM »
Hi and welcome from me too xx  :drink:
No such thing as too much fabric

pip

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 02:30:25 AM »
Hello Sara-s, welcome from me too. You have some interesting hobbies.

HappyCampers

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 10:49:31 AM »
Hello Sara_s

saw your interest in archery in the cutter thread and thought here was a decent place to say hi - small world :)

My youngest daughter (who brought me to this forum when she decided she wanted a new sewing machine) is also my archery buddy. We both shoot "traditional" so she is mostly English Longbow and I am slightly more modern hybrid/recurve wooden bows. We live on the edge of Sherwood Forest in UK and have a great trad supplier there, so I make our own wood / feather arrows. we also get to field shoot in the woods there

I also got to work on Manhattan Island a couple of years ago, not really a city person but loved it - so friendly :)

Sara-S

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2022, 12:05:05 PM »
@HappyCampers nice to meet a fellow archer!  I guess traditional is perfect, when you live near Sherwood Forest!  I admire the beauty of traditional recruves & longbows, but I can’t hit anything with them.

Occasionally, just for fun, I shot an Olympic-style recurve, but mostly I shoot compound. I like to compete and have won quite a few. This would be a lot more impressive if you don’t know how few entrants there are in m shooting category- Silver Senior Female.  :D :D
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Alikat

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2022, 19:18:03 PM »
Hi Sara-s and welcome  I see one of your hobbies is cultivating bonsai trees. My son bought me one for Mother`s Day and said I had to look after it. I think he thinks it was funny as I am hopeless with plants! Any tips so I don't kill it straight away?

Sara-S

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2022, 13:09:27 PM »
@Alikat what kind of tree is it? Also, what is the climate like where you live? I can tell you much more, once I know those things.

Alikat

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2022, 17:17:28 PM »
Well Sara-s - I am told it is a Bonzai Ficus Cera.  I have got it on my window sill (in the sun when the sun comes out here which is not too often!) in a centrally heated house.  If I open the window I will move it so that it is not in a draught.

Kan

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2022, 17:50:26 PM »
Welcome from a fellow newbie x

Sara-S

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2022, 19:07:22 PM »
Well Sara-s - I am told it is a Bonzai Ficus Cera.  I have got it on my window sill (in the sun when the sun comes out here which is not too often!) in a centrally heated house.  If I open the window I will move it so that it is not in a draught.

First, a bit of nit-picking from a spelling nerd; it’s Bonsai. “Banzai” is a Japanese battle cry.

Ficus is a tropical plant, so it’s fine indoors.  You can put it outside in the warmer months.  Keep soil moist, but not drenched.  Since it is a tropical, it should be misted regularly, as central heating makes air very dry.  Look for some plant food that is meant for tropical plants.

Also, check the surface of the soil. Some vendors will glue a layer of rock to the surface, to make it look pretty. But that impedes water absorption. If that is the case, just peel off the rocks.

If you could post a pic, it would be helpful.

Alikat

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2022, 17:00:04 PM »
Sorry it took a while to post a pic:

Sara-S

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2022, 23:19:46 PM »
@Alikat the plant looks nice. The soil...not so much.  It looks like the plant is in very densely compacted soil.  That means the roots won't get enough air and the soil won't drain well.  I recommend moving it to a slightly bigger pot and replacing the soil it's in, with bonsai soil, which is mostly inorganic. 

If you are not sure how to do it, here is a video that goes over the basics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQEOsErVjEs

Alikat

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2022, 23:48:55 PM »
Ok thank you for all the advice.  :

William

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2022, 15:48:41 PM »
Hello-
Greetings! Hope You have a great time here in this group!

Many good memories of NYC - my first wife was from the Bronx.  Five years ago i took my family there on the way to my parents in Buffalo. We stayed in midtown and had a grand time!

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Sewnow

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2022, 18:18:03 PM »
Hello from me, too - I make clothes and always imagined that piecing for quilting must be much harder! Thanks also for the tips on bonsai trees, very interesting  :)