The Sewing Place

Questions from a Machine Embroidery Virgin.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Questions from a Machine Embroidery Virgin.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 20:17:04 PM »
That looks super, and if the top stitches are ok, then I really wouldn't worry about the underneath, you saw mine has lots of top thread underneath too.
Have fun  0_0 0_0

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 09:09:31 AM »
You are having fun with Elvis @Iminei  ;)

Elvis circa 1950's ???

Oh I sooooo wish so!!!!  0_0
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 05:36:18 AM »
What a Shame!!!!

Ever extending my new interest I thought I would try Machine embroidery applique.

I found a pattern and pored over the destructions as Elvis chuntered away in the background ...
Did I mention that Im really really enjoying this now ... especially now Ive given up with worrying about the tension ... as the fronts look fine so ????

So last stitch of the day was to be a MEA leaf ... I found the destructions a lil confusing tho' ....

I printed out the applique pieces which I found printed very faintly ( problem their end not mine) so I went over the lines with black pen, cut the pieces out and was then told to glue them right side (printed) side down on the reverse of the fabric ... which I did and then promptly couldnt see the lines I had to cut along ...
The result was inaccurate cutting which after Elvis had done his stuff resulted in parts of the fabric not being caught by the embroidery! D'OH!!!!

So this mug rug is going to have to stay chez Imi I'm afraid ... I would also have like it to be a lil larger but this was the only size they had ...

Linky

QUESTION: I used a pritt-stick which was less than ideal to hold the fabric pieces in place ... Any other ways of doing this ?

QUESTION: Is there a way to avoid parts of the fabric not covering or extending beyond the stitched area??

QUESTION: If I enlarged it on the design screen, saved it to card ... would it stitch out the same or would the stitching be altered ie not as dense a zig zag ???

All advice, tips and tricks gratefully received
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:37:58 AM by Iminei »

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 07:16:15 AM »
I use this:) what with me being an expert appliquer now.

ONCE WRENKINS...YOU'VE DONE IT ONCE!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 08:36:29 AM »
I use the stuff I use for layering a quilt - this - because I know it won't gunge up the needle.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »
I use this:) what with me being an expert appliquer now.

ONCE WRENKINS...YOU'VE DONE IT ONCE!

I use this too

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »
Yes the destructions did say to use Spray adhesive but those bits are seriously weeny ...

Ive stitched down the missed fabric and its certainly good enough for an Imi based prototype that looks after my G&T !

linky

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 12:16:22 PM »
Pleased to see you are now getting on with Elvis  :)

Sorry I can't help with applique, I've never tried it, looks like too much fiddling for me  :P

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 15:03:21 PM »
What design did you use @Iminei?  I’ve done several appliqué type pictures and I’ve never cut out the shapes before.  Generally when doing appliqué on an embroidery machine, there is a line of stitching laid down which shows you where to place the fabric.  You rough cut a piece to fit and lay it on top.  Hold in place while the machine then sews the outline of the design.  The excess fabric is cut away and then the final satin stitch or whatever is sewn.  No chance of fabric not being the right size, unless you have an accident.  :). Of course, I’m assuming you’re doing this on
Levi’s.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 18:57:02 PM »
That sounds much more sensible ... I shall try that next time ... thank you.

In the meantime my coaster is doing a grand job of holding my G&T ... Cheers!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2019, 21:51:51 PM »
Sounds like it’s a naff design quite honestly.  Would like to know which one  :)

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 07:53:01 AM »
Embroidery online ... for a dollar. Where are all the free designs then?

Is anyone answering my scaling up question ????

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 10:46:29 AM »
Ok design should be ok.  But I haven’t used one of theirs so not sure what method they give for appliqué.  Looking at the machine manual it suggests the way you did it.   It’s not a method I would choose.
As for the resizing.  I’m not sure you can do that in this machine.  Again, looking at the manual I can’t find anything about it.  It is a basic machine and things have moved on dramatically since then.  I take it you have no software?   I only ever do editing in software despite the fact that my machine can do all sorts of things.  If you could resize on the machine it would only be by a small amount anyway, about 20%.  And I don’t think it would recalculate density. 
It’s a bit like pattern drafting for garments.  If you take a size 10 and just grade it up to a size 26, as is so often done, the result is very poor.  That is because everything is graded up and folds don’t necessarily need extra long legs, arms and a ver6 wide neck.  So best to start closer to your chosen size.   And that is the same with embroidery.  If you resize too far you get a very poor result. 

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »
@Ohsewsimple  ... I have the PES lite software (they call it plus but its v basic) and I can enlarge designs by pulling on the corners (if you know what I mean) and decrease that way to ...

I think theres also a resize button but Elvis is in his BB so Im not going to disturb him now ... hes had an exhausting week!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2019, 21:25:32 PM »
If you have the software then I’d use that.  It will maintain the stitch density.   Easiest at to check is pull the handles (corners) and watch the stitch numbers change on screen.