The Sewing Place

Questions from a Machine Embroidery Virgin.

Iminei

Re: Questions from a Machine Embroidery Virgin.
« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »
I have no room for one,

:o

Exqueeze me !!!! >< 

Arent you the girl who moved with her husband (1) to a five bedroom house earlier this year????? :P
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2019, 11:02:40 AM »
Yes, but they are all already fitted out and serving a specific purpose :P
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2019, 17:16:09 PM »
Yesterday I did a quick stitchout for a pair of coasters for a lovely friend and her husband whom I visited this lunchtime after a hospital visit in her neck of the woods (literally)!

What did I learn???

Well I learnt that a thick piece of expensive bump (curtain interlining from the Interior designers), a layer of stabiliser, a thick hessian fabric and a water soluble layer will not stay in the hoop!

I don't whether it was the slipperiness or thickness of the hessian fabric ... but in the end after multiple tries I gave up!

I hooped the interlining and stabiliser ... with no problem ... sprayed a touch of 505 onto the top and smoothed the hessian onto it, effectively floating the fabric.
I then lay the WS on top and watched in horror as the first stitchout went ahead, ruckling the WS as much as anything   :o... to be honest it didnt seem to affect the stitchout but it was not a pretty sight.

Before Elvistoo could start on the second letter I had figured out how to put  a line of basting stitches around the design and held the WS in place as that took place.

Perfect!
It stretched and held the WS perfectly ... the stitchout was also perfect and this morning very early I got up and finished the coasters, putting them through a rinse and spin and on to the radiator to dry before I left for my appt.

Whilst I was with my friends I secreted them onto a handy toasty radiator as they were still a lil damp and before I left, managed to wrap them up.

So lots learnt and I hope they like them when they come to unwrap!

linky

sewmuchmore

« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2019, 17:29:52 PM »

I now need to talk about stabilisers and suppliers ... general and more specifically I need a heavyweight soluble for freestanding butterflies.
@Iminei if you are still looking for heavyweight soluble I can vouch for this one I have done freestanding butterflies using just one layer of this and it works a treat. In fact this is were I get all my stabilisers from.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Iminei

« Reply #214 on: December 09, 2019, 18:00:55 PM »
Which one ?????

Sewbee

« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2019, 18:42:49 PM »
This is a fascinating thread! I have been toying with getting a machine that does embroidery. Well my old model Bernina 570QE does but the embroidery is an extra piece of equipment to buy (about £1000, I believe). I need to know more before any decisions are to be made.

Iminei

« Reply #216 on: December 12, 2019, 10:38:57 AM »
My cup runneth over .....

Yesterday I had a memory of someone from the previous place a long, long time ago recommending Somac threads as being very good ... especially when it came to giving out free sample packs !!

So I hopped on the phone and spoke to the lovely Alison and explained I was starting out and confused about stabilisers etc.. she said not to worry and that she would send me some samples and proceeded to take my name and address ... It was at this point I became a bit worried that her computer would come up with flashing red lights and a big warning siren as I must admit I took advantage of their free sample back all that time ago ... but the phone line remained eerily silent and calm and she wished me a good day at the end.

Today I was woken by a very wet postman with a parcel !!

The samples has arrived and Oh my Word ... What a cornucopia of goodies there were ...

linky

Now all I have to do is figure out which is for what !!!

Question ... Will these bobbins be ok for Elvistoo.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 10:51:17 AM by Iminei »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #217 on: December 12, 2019, 11:25:04 AM »
You need bobbin size A or SA156, I can't read the labels on your pics but I can see some labelled "L" - they won't work!

Their metallic threads are supposed to be very good.

What a haul though, lucky you!

Iminei

« Reply #218 on: December 12, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »
Thank you Bodge ...

The labels on the bobbins (outer plastic bag) are

Pre wound sample bobbin pack - No plastic centre
Pre wound sample bobbin pack - cardboard sides
Pre wound sample bobbin pack

Any of these any good?? Or could I wind the thread onto my Brother bobbins?????

The stabilizers are

XH1 30 Micron
XH1 20 Micron

These look like plastic .... I think these are water soluble

XCE 80 - Easy tear
XVT 75 - Tear away
XVBO50 - cut away Vilene
XVBO80 -  80gm cut away
XCP 40 - Tear away
XCE 50 - Easy Tear 50gm

Does anyone here speak Stabilizer???

Sewingsue

« Reply #219 on: December 12, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
This is a fascinating thread! I have been toying with getting a machine that does embroidery. Well my old model Bernina 570QE does but the embroidery is an extra piece of equipment to buy (about £1000, I believe). I need to know more before any decisions are to be made.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2019, 13:04:15 PM »
The Somac website isn't awfully helpful with what size those bobbins are!
Compare them to your current bobbins, if they seem the same depth they should work, but test 'em first!

The ones with an "L" on won't work, so if the others are the same size/depth as the Ls, then they'll be no good either.

As for stabilizer, I'm assuming the numbers are the thickness, so XCE 80 will be a heavyweight, and XCP 40 will be a lightweight.  I'd assume the first two "plastic" ones will be water soluble, just test a little corner.  I'd guess the 20 is for use as a topping, not sure about the 30. 
I use 70 micron for a heavy water soluble on the bottom, although I have used two layers sometimes.

Iminei

« Reply #221 on: December 12, 2019, 13:11:26 PM »
An El ????

Where the El ? What the El?? hahahaaha

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2019, 16:08:37 PM »
What the El...  0_0
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 17:16:17 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Iminei

« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2019, 16:45:54 PM »
Oh WOW!

I never noticed that ... rushes off to check!

Those are the ones with the cardboard sides ... No good for Elvis???

Anybody want them ?????

Nuttywife59

« Reply #224 on: December 14, 2019, 20:13:51 PM »
Cardboard side bobbins are for multineedle  machines.  The 80 weight cutaway is one you would use for very dense designs. Just try them out and see which you like the best and find works best for you. 20 micron is topping and the 30 you can hoop but if you want to do freestanding lace you would need either the fabric type solvy or 76 micron /ultra solvy.  It's size A bobbins you want.  I must admit that I tend to use florani no show mesh, polymesh  or soft and stronge most of the time as I like it.  My daughter who has my old machine likes filmoplast sticky stabaliser.