The Sewing Place

Questions from a Machine Embroidery Virgin.

Iminei

Re: Questions from a Machine Embroidery Virgin.
« Reply #225 on: December 15, 2019, 08:40:52 AM »
Oh Thanks a lot for that info ... I know about the filmoplast as Elvis came with some (and I used it up)

I have been busy with heavuweight WS at the moment and will post pics when Im done! ;)

Anybody want my cardboard bobbins?? Are any of the others ok for Elvis? Or should I wind the thread onto some brother bobbins?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #226 on: December 15, 2019, 09:50:17 AM »
Check the size of the others against your Brother bobbins, there's quite an obvious difference in depth between the "L" size and the "A"s that are for Brother.

Elnnina

« Reply #227 on: December 15, 2019, 11:01:43 AM »
I would just rewind the cardboard bobbin thread onto one of your machine's bobbins in the same way as you would normally wind a bobbin.

By the way thanks for the information about that company with regards to the stabilisers - I really must get to grips with my embroidery unit and so far have very little in the way of stabilisers, but I do have a roll of filmoplast.  There is nothing available in shops around here so whatever I decide to get will have to be mail order.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #228 on: December 15, 2019, 13:49:51 PM »
One note about Filmoplast.  I gave up using it and stopped my mum too after she had problems and I discovered it was this stuff that was the problem.  It can gum up needles and also cause the thread to shred.  I always use Floriani if I want a sticky one now. 

Elnnina

« Reply #229 on: December 15, 2019, 14:19:07 PM »
Thanks for that information Ohsewsimple, it is always useful to know how others have got on with different stabilisers.  Must admit Floriani  is not one I am seen, but will add it to my list.

Ohsewsimple

Elnnina

« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2019, 15:19:26 PM »
Thank you Ohsewsimple that is a great help.  I really must get to grips with my machine, to be honest I have had this a few years and am slightly terrified as there is so much that can go wrong through operator error.  Look what happened the other month in just threading up to sew some buttonholes, my thread got caught as I was threading this and I had to unscrew one end of the machine to free this and yes although I saw some computer parts in that area I steered well clear of them. 

With Twopence's help a year or so ago now I bought Sue Box's embroidered roses - this was a download and on to a USB stick and that is as far as it has got - my intention is to embroider some rosebuds on plain fabric - I have an abundance of some lovely colours in Oxford Cotton and I do fancy some embroidery on the collars and cuffs, and perhaps down the front between the buttonholes - but the buttonhole one may be something different but still embroidered. 

I need to stop being a scaredy cat!!!!!!!!!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2019, 18:50:10 PM »
@Elnnina bite the bullet and have a go.  Shame to have a lovely machine not doing what it was made for.   :'(
Sue Box designs are lovely.  They should sew out really well. 

Nuttywife59

« Reply #233 on: December 17, 2019, 20:18:30 PM »
Ohsosimple I havent had any problems with filmoplast gumming up my machines but it is not something I use very often as I tend to use no show mesh type and float most things. Think its one of those things that once you find one that works for you, you tend to keep on using it. I've got a drawer full of different ones but always tend to use the same one all the time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #234 on: December 17, 2019, 21:51:48 PM »
@Nuttywife59 I also use a lot of no show mesh. 
If the Filmoplast works for you then that’s great.  Different machines etc. 
I gave mine to my work colleague who uses one of the big Brother 10 needle machines.  Works great on that. 

Iminei

« Reply #235 on: December 18, 2019, 04:54:02 AM »
Question.... where does a good selection of Madeira rayon 40 threads in both 200m and 1000 m ( if there is such a thing) at reasonable prices.

I need specific colours as I have finally run out of one colour from my treasure chest!! You’d be proud of me @Celia

Still can’t show you all what I’ve been doing as I’m still on the Ithingmy....

Kad

« Reply #236 on: December 18, 2019, 07:12:26 AM »
I get my Madeira threads from Barnyarns  in Ripon. They have a very good selection of threads and other goodies.  :devil:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Celia

« Reply #237 on: December 18, 2019, 08:13:05 AM »
@Iminei i am very proud of you it is lovely to know they are being used.  I agree https://www.barnyarns.co.uk/thread/madeira-thread/madeira-machine-threads/rayon-threads/classic-40-200m/  are great for a lot of types of thread.
Can’t weight to see what you are doing

Iminei

« Reply #238 on: February 05, 2020, 11:59:35 AM »
Im looking for a supplier of my madeira rayon embroidery threads, 1000m cops in an extensive range of colours

but when I search I keep getting Madeira polyneon threads up ... is this the same thread or something entirely different ?

The reason is I'm making a set of butterflies, hoping to offer them for sale, and they use a vast amount of thread to create the basic wings before details are added so I need a reasonably inexpensive  source of supply.

Also How can I keep the 1000m spools tidy and not unravelling all over the place???
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 13:23:19 PM by Iminei »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2020, 13:06:42 PM »
Barnyarns have Madeira rayon in 30, 40,60  and 12 thicknesses. They have a multibuy discount and at showtimes they sometimes have extra offers.  There are 422 colours in the 40. They are also helpful people!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m