The Sewing Place

Questions from a Machine Embroidery Virgin.

Iminei

Re: Questions from a Machine Embroidery Virgin.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »
Stitch numbers ????

Where are they then ... Please remember Im very very stupid new at this

I've only just discovered how to get stitch numbers up on the machine itself and that was a fluke!

So this will be after Iv'e imported/opened the design within the PES stuff on my computer yes? then just send to card ? or do I have to save something first?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2019, 20:06:47 PM »
@Iminei I’ve just managed to find the manual for PE design plus online.  I’ve used the full version before, old version, but not this one.  Soooooo....
Page 38 deals with scaling patterns.....resizing to you and me.  :)
Once you have the pattern/design on screen then you can use the handles to enlarge the design. 
If you use the Ctrl key while dragging the handles the density should be maintained. 
Note that you won’t be able to do this with all designs.  Some are locked and you can’t fiddle with them. 
On page 61 it shows the pe plus window and details what is what.  Number 11 is the status bar.  At the bottom of the box.  This is where the number of stitches in the design should be found.
Hope this helps a bit. 

Iminei

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 06:30:20 AM »
Thank you Darling ... depending on how my day goes I may take a look at that.  :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »
You’re welcome!   Hope it goes well.  I’ve been embroidering since the first machines appeared and had several.  Also managed to use a few different ones at work too.  :) 

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2019, 07:22:51 AM »
EF85 Extra Large Embroidery Hoop 30cm x 13cm Overview
Large embroidery frame for stitching out large embroidery designs in just one hooping. 300mm x 130mm (12" X 5")

Would this fit Elvis ???

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2019, 07:59:26 AM »
So if I wanted to buy this design for Elvis

as I have a 5 x 7 " max embroidery size hoop do I have to buy the size that fits into there or can I buy the larger one and resize the design on my computer ??? which will then be more useful if I get a larger hoop.

Sorry If you experts have already replied but Im trying to get my head round this.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2019, 12:45:03 PM »
Hi @Iminei.  Well there is a hoop that will fit your machine.  Not sure if it’s a BF85 or BF60 as Lords has it.  So, yes it enables you to do larger designs. HOWEVER, something some people can get their head round is the fact that whatever size hoop you use, your machine will still only sew a design 5x7 in one go.  That is the size of the embroidery area and that is governed by the size of the embroidery arm on the machine.   I’m sure you’ve seen the really big ones.  And they do need lots of room.  So if you had a design of a car and it was 5x9 then using this hoop wouldn’t help unless you could split the design up into separate areas.  (Splitting designs is time consuming and not really for beginners.)  If you had a design with the same overall size of 5x9 but it consisted of three balloons and each fitted in to the individual sewing areas of the hoop, then yes these hoops are great.   Of course, with designs like this, made up of several different elements it’s relatively easy to move pieces around to suit your frame. 
I’m sure that’s all as clear as mud!    :(
Looking at the design you have chosen,  it would need to be split as the tree trunk runs from the bottom to the top of the design.   It would still need to be restricted to the width of your hoop 5”. 
Am I sensing we need a bigger machine already? :)

Iminei

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2019, 09:13:20 AM »
I never knew that!

To recap my machine will only sew a maximum design of 5 x 7" ... because that is the total area that the mechanical bits can move the hooped fabric around ??/

So if I bought the multi positioned hoop that Ive seen .. which has two sets of fixings on it ???? Would I be able to sew a bigger design ... or does the design have to be broken in two ?

Ive never seen that option when looking at designs to buy ... just single sizes ?!?

Nuttywife59

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
The design has to be made as a split design for that hoop.  I'm not sure if your software gives you the option of making split hoop designs or not as I have pe10.  I used mine once on my old machine when I had to do a big name. From what I can remember you can't just split a design down the middle to make it fit it has to be done so that you have a complete section of the design in each section. You sew one bit and then take hoop off and move it and then stich the neXT part of the design each section has to be saved as a separate design file. I amy not have explained that very well but there should be some videos on YouTube which will help.

Iminei

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2019, 10:47:31 AM »
Can you buy designs that are split ???

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2019, 12:46:56 PM »
@Iminei I’ve only just seen your post from the other day. 
Yes basically the size of the sewing area governs the size of the embroidery design.  Otherwise there would be no point in the companies making machines with larger embroidery arms and areas!   :)
You can sew larger designs but they must be split.  I have done it in the past and find it a bit of a faff.  There are several different ways to split a design and one method will work better than another depending on the design you are using.  There are softwares oh there that say they easily split the design.  However from experience they tend to just cut the design on a straight line.  Easy yes!   However when the design is sewn back together, so to speak, a line is quite visible where the break was.  To get this line some stitches will be shortened to fit.  It’s not a good look. 
But I had a look at these.  Was surprised to find them.
https://www.urbanthreads.com/search.aspx?qs=Split%20designs&df=Machine

Iminei

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2019, 12:56:05 PM »
One of those (the tree ) is why Ive been asking these questions ...

when they then ask you to choose a size ... Is this is the size for each portion of the design ? or the total design ???

and would I still have to have the multi position hoop to stitch these ?? the long one with two sets of attaching thingmys

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2019, 18:31:42 PM »
You could only do the middle  or bottom ones as the other will be too wide.  The multi position hoops works lengthwise, or width wise if you rotate the design.  But they still do a 5” width. 

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2019, 12:40:22 PM »
Still very confused ...

as to why many many sizes of designs are just over the 5" and 7" ...  when standard hoop sizes are 4" sq and 5 x 7" .

I realise there are bigger area machines around but there must be a lot of peeps with the normal machines (Or am I being incredibly naive?)

So If I wanted the Hawk .. (which I dont particularly but it might be nice in a variegated)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I would have to choose the second smallest 4.41 x 6.85  for my 5 x 7 stitch area ?

Is that the total size of the whole hawk or the size of each individual part?

Would I be able to stitch a larger size out if I had the multi hoop?

Sorry to be so thick!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:43:27 PM by Iminei »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2019, 14:33:57 PM »
Hi @Iminei.  Oh no my dear you aren’t thick at all.  You’re a beginner and it can be very confusing. When I started embroidering there were fewer machines, hoop sizes and more simple embroidery designs.  I just had to deal with a very confusing array of software.

So the hawk design is split and you are right about the size you would need.  That way it would fit into your 5x7 sewing area.  The size quoted is for the largest piece and I think that is probably the body.  If you bought a bigger size, then the individual pieces would not fit your sewing area.  You need to think of this as 3 separate embroideries which when out together create a large picture.  If you click on the View instructions underneath the design you will see how it is done.  This involves taking the fabric out of the hoop and re hooping to get the fabric in the right position for the next embroidery which will join the previous one .....if it’s been lined up properly of course.  :)
The Build a Wreath design is another one that would need re hooping to give you a large design.  Clever designs I think. 

As regards the tree design, I am assuming the size quoted is for the entire design but it would be worth checking first with the company.