« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 16:35:11 PM »
One. I can only use one at a time :P

I inherited my MIL's Janome
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Sara-S

Re: How many machines do you have?
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 16:43:14 PM »
@Sara-S
I used to live in Staten Island (Travis Avenue) in the 1980's before I moved to  Brooklyn!!
I'm English but lived in New York for several years in the 1980's....
 :D
Travis Avenue is not far away from where I am (Just off Huguenot Avenue). Where were you in Brooklyn?  I grew up in Sheepshead Bay.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 16:45:07 PM »
I had one when I retired 5 years ago (a gorgeous wine coloured Viking 6570 bought new at the end of the 70s) then I used my retirement cheque to buy a computerised sewing machine and my first ever overlocker.

-- Pfaff Performance 5
-- Brother 4234D overlocker

The Viking didn't like the new company and promptly cracked her camstack in a huff making it beyond economic repair...and then the buying commenced. I've tried so hard just to write a simple list but the guilt complex won't let me without including some justifications.

-- Pfaff Select 3.2 (new from local dealer) a basic mechanical with IDT and light enough to carry!

-- Frister + Rossmann Cub 7 (Gumtree) bought as a gift for a friend wanting to learn to sew. Does that count?

-- Bernina 1020 (eBay) because I've always wondered what the fuss was about - I found out and loved it!

-- Bernina 1130 (eBay again) and with lots missing in a bit of a state but only £65 and in good working order. All the loveliness of the 1020 with some useful but unobtrusive computerisation.

-- Bernina 1130 (yep, eBay) this time fully complete with lots of extras. Now I had a backup if either blew its motherboard.

-- Juki MO-1000 overlocker (new from local quilt show) - my husband was finding hard to sleep with me hammering away on the Brother. Such a great machine (thinking I really should sell the Brother).

-- Bernina L220 coverstitch. (new at a different local dealer) No justification needed. Used a lot, the chainstitch just as much, if not more, than the coverstitch function.

-- Vintage Singer 201K hand crank (eBay) - definitely enabled by reading the love in The Sewing Forum's vintage group. Used very intermittently.

-- Vintage Singer 201K treadle & electric (eBay) - this time impressed by the vintage gang at The Sewing Place. Sadly not yet restored to working order (electrics burned out)

In my defence...I've not bought any machines for over 2 years! I just have a few eBay and Gumtree searches that I look at and then delete.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 16:48:47 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 17:00:33 PM »
I only have three.  :angel: so far

My Singer 367 that I bought with my 'near enough' first wages. Still banging away like a good un.

A Brother plastic nasty with many many stitches which is fine for lightweight work but turns it's nose up at too many layers which is a bit rich since it was bought specifically for P&Q.

A Singer 28k with a vibrating shuttle and bullet bobbin which I bought a couple of months ago at auction and cleaned up. Not that it needed much cleaning. It's gorgeous!  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 17:10:54 PM »
Main one,

Pfaff Expression 2

Pfaff Select 4

Husqvarna Mega Quilter

Bernina Activa 215  (the downstairs sewing machine)

Bernina Overlocker 1150MDA

Janome Coverstitch 2000CPX

Bernina 009DCC  Which purrs beautifully but all I can get is a chain stitch so I've given up the battle
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ellabella

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 17:22:54 PM »
I had a bit of an inadvertent clear out last year so now I have

Janome 8900, my big girl, fortunately my sewing class offers Janomes and Berninas.

A Babylock  Evolve bought S/H, it’s a combo O/L and C/S and I thought that would do me but I saw a Babylock Imagine for a wonderful price and so the Evolve is just used as a coverstitch.

I am looking for a good solid mechanical that the grandkids can use.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2019, 17:31:19 PM »
The ones I use:-

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 - I don't quilt, but it does great buttonholes
Elna 3003 - my previous machine, does really crap buttonholes, but kept cos it sews some materials a lot better than the Pfaff
Brother 3034 overlocker - a great, if noisy, little machine
BabyLock BLCS2 coverstitch - brilliant, so much better than the previous Janome
Brother V3 embroidery machine - replace the previous Janome cos the brother takes much bigger hoops

The ones I don't use:-

My Mum's (or actually my Grandmas') old Singer ( I think it's a 28k), that I remember when I was small enough to sit inside the upside down lid
T'Other Half's mums' Mundlos treadle in a cabinet
A very pretty blue Jones D66 bought in a junk antique shop as it was only £25 and such a lovely colour
A Jones cat back hand cranked antique machine
A Singer overedge antique lump - it's very heavy - I think it was for edging blankets

And too many toy sewing machines to list.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 17:44:59 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

annieeg

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 17:41:55 PM »
@Sara-S
I lived in Park Slope in Brooklyn - great area and was becoming quite gentrified by the time I left in late 1980's.
I still miss NY a bit even though I  lived there so long ago.

Ros

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2019, 17:59:07 PM »
3 sewing machines. In order of purchase
1) Singer. Model number unclear but has 150 Anniversary edition on it. Bought to make curtains when the only sewing I contemplated was curtains.
2) Janome SMD3000. Struggled to find a bulb replacement for singer so bought a new machine obvs. Also dipping a toe into   computerised function but only a toe.
3) Bernina 807. Ebay. It looked lovely. I was weak. Small free arm is good for youngster sewing. Though the one tunic made for my great niece isn't the best justification.

Also an Aldi special Singer overlocker, bought last year which I use, but in a fearful way with a sigh of relief when I manage to do a curve without slicing though the seam.

Celia

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2019, 18:38:17 PM »
Too many is the answer not sure I want to elaborate  :devil:

If I write them down I feel I must deal with getting rid of at least 2 but I really cannot decide which 2!!!!

Sara-S

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 19:03:52 PM »
I have never understood why people need more than one machine.However, I have recently bought for £25. a tiny machine to take to a monthly sewing group. It never sees the light of day any other time. My real machine is a Brother.
I would never have multiples of any tool, it goes against my minimalist principles :D
You have, in part, just answered your own question. A portable to take with you and a better machine for the house are a likely reason to own more than one machine. Also, some machines are specialty machines for specific purposes, such as sergers or computerized embroidery machines..

Morgan

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 19:44:21 PM »
how many machines?  hmmmm, enough . . .

Sara-S

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 20:47:46 PM »
how many machines?  hmmmm, enough . . .
Is that actually possible?  :sew: :sew: :sew: :sew:

Surest1tch

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2019, 21:42:55 PM »
1 Singer industrial flatbed (my favourite)
2 Seamstress zig zag's (1's for spares)
2 Janome overlockers
1 cheapo from Lidl (regrettable impulse buy)
2 Vintage singers
1 Husqvarna 9?
1 I can't remember the make.

I've promised myself no more unless I can find an affordable Singer fiddle base which I desperately covet

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2019, 21:45:15 PM »
I have six; see my signature line.

For all the odd jobs, repairs etc that can be done with straight stitch only my preferred machine is Caroline, the older 201 which sits on the desk work-table downstairs and sometimes I use if for FMQ as this table is bigger than the one upstairs.

Other sewing is done in the sewing room upstairs. I use the other 201, Azilia, for straight stitch and Vera the Husqvarna for the utility stitches, and I wouldn't be without the overlocker.  The cover stitcher gets used for topstitching knit fabrics but I could live without it.

My extravagance is the little Featherweight; cute but also portable.

I don't feel the need for an embroidery machine, or even one with a zillion fancy stitches, they wouldn't get used, although occasionally I think it would be nice to have an alphabet facility for labels.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.