The Sewing Place

How many machines do you have?

Acorn

Re: How many machines do you have?
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2019, 08:22:54 AM »
Blimey Roger! Do you and your family live in a tent in the garden?
I like the certainty that it would be the family living in a tent and not the machines!!   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2019, 12:55:46 PM »
Singer 201K handcrank
Singer 201K electric
Singer 99K electric in a table
Singer 99K electric knee lever
Singer 221K electric black X 2
Singer 221K featherweight white
Singer 222K electric
Grain chain stitch machine - handcrank
Elna "grasshopper" electric knee lever
Bernina 730 Record
Singer 66K lotus pattern handcrank
Singer 28K handcrank - flood rescue
Half an antique Guhl & Harbeck named Lyra  :)

13 1/2 - not too bad

Sara-S

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2019, 13:16:37 PM »
I was right. With just 3 I am a beginner. (Though I can’t see the need for others, based on the things I am doing.) The smallest one is likely to be the first to wear out, as it is so light it probably has a lot of plastic parts.  When that goes I am not likely to replace it.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Greybird

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2019, 14:15:22 PM »
I wouldn't call you a beginner. I have been sewing for over 50 years - all but 10 of them with only one machine. If the machine you have does what you want it to do, then you don't need any more.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2019, 14:49:17 PM »

Pfaff QE 4.2
Janome 6234XL overlocker/serger
Janome 2000CPX coverstitch
Singer 201k (1953)

I'm currently looking out for a 221k.  That's a bit of a minefield though.  I know some people don't understand the need for more than one machine unless they serve different functions, which the first three on my list do, but many of us get great pleasure from our machines.  It also helps that DH is a great enabler 0_0

Lachica

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2019, 14:49:49 PM »
Enabled since finding this forum's predessessor, I realised I needed an overlocker. I got a Brother 1034d. And an embroidery machine. A short while after buying my Pfaff Creative 3 with embroidery unit, I sold the Janome 350e, the FR404 and the Lidl machine. Then bought a Pfaff 1229 to repair boat covers, as didn't want to mess up the big Pfaff. That was sold on this year, after lurking in the understairs cupboard for a while. A year ago I realised I needed a coverstitch, Janome CP2000x. I'm now sewing a lot more knits so it's useful. I also have a Bernina 730, bought on eBay to see what all the fuss is about Berninas. It has a very small freearm, ideal for baby/toddler sleeves. It's beautifully quiet and has good satin stitch scallops but I think needs new drive belts as there are 'flat spots'. It's more portable than the big Pfaff so I shall probably keep it. So the short answer is, I only have 4. Very restrained compared to some!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Celia

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2019, 23:13:46 PM »
Ok I am wondering with the new thoughts about de cluttering and minimalist feelings if I only had 1 sewing machine and maybe 1 Overlockers would I actually feel inspired to sew more?

I have to say this is never going to happen as my minimum would be 2 sewing machines but which 2 will I keep?

b15erk

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »
If my eye is well enough at the weekend, I'm going to give the Featherweight an outing.  I can put it on the dining table.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Morgan

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2019, 11:52:51 AM »
Ok I am wondering with the new thoughts about de cluttering and minimalist feelings if I only had 1 sewing machine and maybe 1 Overlockers would I actually feel inspired to sew more?
Probably not.
Why we sew is different for everyone - eg. to produce a wanted item or as part of a creative process or as part of a learning or personally challenging project or just to keep the head space between the ears occupied for a few hours or to earn some cash, and so on.
How we spend our time changes and if you don't feel like sewing/making it's fine.

Gernella

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
There is usually a story behind every purchase

I had mechanical New Home when I was 21, got a very large bonus  around Christmas 1990, went into a sewing shop for some thread and saw the Janome 7000 being used.  Cash rich, that was it.  The old New Home went on Freecycle.

In maybe August 2008 I joined a sewing forum, and  month later I bought the Pfaff Select 2.  Lovely machine but it didn't do an automatic buttonhole (to be honest I never tried with it), so about a year later I bought the Pfaff Expression 2. A few years later I saw a Bernina 1015 for sale in Sheffield and bought for a good price, another great machine. 

Having trouble with some heavy duty fabric I saw a Husqvarna Mega Quilter for sale and bought it, with the proceeds of the sale of the Bernina (big mistake really letting it go).

Some time later I saw a brand new Bernina 215 for sale, an unwanted competition prize from a Quilt competition so much reduced but no guarantee,  I bought that and started using down stairs in summer.

The Grand Quilter was so good for sewing anything without messing about with the tension that the Pfaff Select 2 wasn't getting used, so I sold it.

But, before it went, the lady wanted to come and try so I thought I'd better familiarise myself with it.  I fell in love again and I didn't want to sell it.  Unfortunately I couldn't put her off and it went.

About three months later one boozy Sunday afternoon I saw a Pfaff Select 4, brand new and reduced and bought.  It had a needle threader and the IDT which I couldn't be without now.  The Bernina's walking foot is clunky and doesn't seem to work as well as IDT.

Now they all get used all the time but for different things.  The Expression is sometimes picky with the tensions with lightweight fabrics so it's easier to use another machine that's not picky. 

The only time I'd get another one now is if the Expression died (10 years old now and guarantee run out).  Probably another Pfaff with IDT and good buttonhole maker.   

These are my excuses and I'm sticking with them.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sara-S

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2019, 13:58:00 PM »
@Gernella what is an IDT?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2019, 19:46:09 PM »
@Sara-S IDT is Integrated Dual Transportation.  It is a plastic mechanism that comes down behind the presser foot and clips onto the bottom of it.   It has teeth-like projections on the base similar to those on the feed dogs.  These teeth then act like the lower feed dogs but on top of the fabric, thus creating an even feed.  It is brilliant!

Mamashep

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2019, 15:45:50 PM »
I parted withn a few of mine, and was down to 5, but they seem to attract other machines.

Janome MC8900QCP
Pfaff Quilt expression 4
Pfaff 7550
Singer 201k
Janome Cover Pro
Joy's Blind Hemmer
Brother PR-1000 embroidery machine
Babylock evolution

The Janome was brand new unwanted gift at half price, so hI just had to buy it.  Pfaff Quilt expression 4 was a bargain as it had a couple of missing accessories that I had anyway, Pfaff 7550 was because I got rid of my Pfaff 1475cd a few years ago and regretted it ever since, and I put a bid in on Ebay not expecting to win. The PR1000 was an ex-demo, just over half the new price,  and the Babylock Evolve was pre-owned in excellent condition, and another too good to miss bargain. I have told DH I will get rid of a couple, but I don't think he believed me lol

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:00:27 AM by Mamashep »

Lowena

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2019, 16:45:11 PM »
Do you use them all regularly @Mamashep ?
Do you keep them out for easy access?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Stitches

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2019, 18:06:20 PM »
I have a husqvana 500 computer 30 years old
Husqvana overlocker 30 years old
Husqvana designer diamond sewing and embroidery
Babylock imagine overlocker
Pfaff performance 5 feel in love with the IDT
And a little brother that I use for the sewing group as its light