The Sewing Place

How many machines do you have?

Sara-S

How many machines do you have?
« on: September 03, 2019, 13:23:18 PM »
I have gathered that, with only 3, I am a beginner. Mine are as follows;
1) Janome Derby- a 5-pound (2.25 kg) basic machine that’s great for basic sewing or repairs and taking to classes..
2)Singer 4423- mid-weight- 15 pounds (6.8 kg) does 2 dozen stitches and has a sturdy metal interior. I take this one to classes sometimes.
3) Brother Inovis 575- This one was a 60th birthday present from my husband,  It does just about everything but tie my shoes for me. It has over 100 stitches and is bigger and heavier. So this one stays home and does most of my quilting and free-motion embroidery.

What machines do you all have?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Nevis5

Re: How many machines do you have?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 13:29:29 PM »
I have lots!   :S  I'm not quite sure how it happened but.... I have three Bernina sewing machines; a Nova 900, a 1260QE and the older (new) 570QE.   Also a Babylock Imagine overlocker and a Janome 1000CPX coverstitch machine. 

Out of all of them I like and use the 1260 and the Imagine most.  The newer Bernina has lots more shiny things but I don't think it sews as well as my old faithful.

I'm not a quilter, just a dressmaker.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 14:11:36 PM »
Only had a few until I joined this forum!....

BlueCat

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 14:13:35 PM »
Thanks to some ‘enablers’ a few years ago, I have a few vintage machines. My Singers include a couple of 201Ks (just sold one of them), a handcrank 28K with lovely decals (will sell this week), a 99K, and a beautiful 221K featherweight (will never sell). For quilting I have a Janome 8900 and have just treated myself to the Janome HD9 for bag making. Also ‘looking after’ my daughters Janome, for its portability.

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 14:22:28 PM »
I don't have many compared to some on this forum!  -<

My stable comprises a Bernina 720 which I bought recently and love, a Bernina 570 QE (the 5.5mm version), a Janome DC3050, and a Janome 6234XL overlocker. I'm considering adding a coverstitch machine to this collection but I don't really need it - just quite like the idea, so I'm pondering for a while.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 14:30:16 PM »
15k treadle
66k treadle
201k x 2 Duel Fuel
Featherweight (221 black)
611g
Singer O/L
Pfaff 1475 cd
Pfaff combi CS/OL
Babylock hemmer
Janome x 2
Toyota
New Home x 2
Jones Family CS x 3 Handcranks

I may have one or two others, but the ones I use most often are the Pfaff's , the Singer 611g, Singer 185k and the 320k.

Need to re-home a few...

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 14:48:34 PM »
I have the following:-

A Janome 4618LE which was an identical replacement in 2011 for the MyStyle 3018 which I had for 20 years. Mechanical and I'd buy the same one over again as it's a workhorse! Current name 5024 and I think it's the same as the HD models.

A Janome DKS100 which I bought in 2015 thinking I would like a computerised machine and a lot more stitches and types of buttonhole.  I don't and it sits on a shelf in a cupboard and never use it.

A Brother overlocker 730D which I've had since 1989 and still use for most of my overlocking. It's a bit temperamental hence my purchase of another as I'd hate to be without an overlocker that works! I probably alter more than I sew from scratch.

A Brother 2104D which I bought in 2018 as the other can sometimes be temperamental and it is 30 years old, and this is a 4 thread. I don't love its plastic sound, and it's louder than the 730D which purrs along. I don't have it set up at the moment.

A Janome 1000CPX coverstitch which I've had since 2013. It can be temperamental and the looper tension only works if I avoid the 'tension control thing' that it has. I know how to get round it so it stays for the time being!

Don't think I'll buy anymore unless I find another coverstitch machine.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 18:21:30 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 14:57:19 PM »
I had one when I joined this place...

Now I have:

A Pfaff Classicstyle 2027 (supposed to be a quilting machine, but only has a standard sized harp-space, although it does have IDT (Integrated Dual Feed)).  It's a good, reliable general machine and lives in my sewing room/study.

A Husqvarna Viking Topaz 25, which is an embroidery machine and also a general sewing machine.  It lives on the dining room when we don't have guests and is the machine I use the most.

A Singer Featherweight, which lives in my sewing room and is more-or-less permanently set up with a Griest buttonhole attachment.

A Frister & Rossmann Jaguar 234DF Knitlock Overlocker which I have only had for a few months, but absolutely love (despite having spent years telling everyone that overlockers were the machines of the devil...)  This one lives on the dining table too.

A Britannia CS4000 Coverstitch, which I've only had for a bit over a month, and need to get to grips with properly.  Also on the dining table.  Fortunately we have a large dining table.  Not that it was bought with sewing in mind.  No, of course not.

If I ever find a particularly decorative hand cranked vintage machine, ideally set into a table, I will bring it home to be loved, but apart from that I think I have my quota.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 15:13:22 PM »
Blimey! I've only got 2 and I seem to be managing ok!
I've got a pretty basic Janome J3-20 and an old Riccar which I'm hanging onto incase the Janome ever packs up at a vital moment.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 15:25:45 PM »
Mine came to me in various ways.  The Pfaff's, Singers, and Bernina were bought intentionally.  The others were either gifts, or came by default as they were destined for landfill.

All have brought me pleasure in different ways.  Even the ones I don't love, have relieved my anxiety by occupying me either by cleaning or fixing them up.

I feel that by keeping hold of them, at least they are staying out of landfill for a while.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 15:58:06 PM »
My word Im an absolute angel on this score! :angel:

Since I started sewing I have had a secondhand Toyota, which I used when I made waistcoats for a sort of living in the 90's ...

This was dragged out again in 2013 when, realising I was not coping at all well with my fathers death the year before I started sewing. It soon became apparent that this machine was too 'fast' for me so I bought a Janome 525S from Sewing Machines Direct, giving the Toyota to a family in my terrace, and dived into the Darkside ...
The 526S lasted about 6 or 9 months when I upgraded to a secondhand Janome 4000, selling the 525S to help fund it.

A further year or so on I upgraded again as I got a very good deal on The Splurge (Janome Atelier 5) ...

This was a distinctly odd purchase from a girl that joined TSF; She probed everybody about the best machine to buy, got the recommended machine (The Splurge ) and almost immediately put it up for sale at a ridiculously low price for a machine she had never once used.
I know this because of the state of it and the fact that the red tape was still in place over the swingy out door over the needle (all good technical terms there)
She cited a messy divorce and imminent house move as the reason for the sale, but as she had all the correct paperwork so who was I to say No?!

The Splurge was everything I ever wanted and we spent many happy years together until I got yet another offer I couldn't refuse on my current machine, The Splurgess (Janome Atelier 7) This was again the victim of a divorce, was also barely used.

Fran bought The Splurge from me around Christmas of  this year and I sold the Janome 4000 at around the same time therefore covering the cost of the Splurgess.

Apart from The Splurgess I have Elvis, my Brother 750E embroidery machine and that's my lot.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 16:04:22 PM »
My mum's old Singer 522 - great for straight stitching when precision matters
My Brother Super Ace II - great for one-step auto buttonholes and the continuous/incremental needle position is handy sometimes.  I don't use the fancy 'heirloom' stitches, however
My Singer 5-thread overlocker - bought before Singer went completely down the pan and then virtually untouched for several years do to work then motherhood then bafflement. The old forum was a great source of advice and now I use it more and more.

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 16:07:59 PM »
@Sara-S
I used to live in Staten Island (Travis Avenue) in the 1980's before I moved to  Brooklyn!!
I'm English but lived in New York for several years in the 1980's....
 :D

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 16:14:35 PM »
Brother Innovis CS-8080
Singer 99k Hand Crank
Singer 222k featherweight
Bernina Record 930
Janome Atelier 6
Pfaff Creative 2134 (my most favourite, favourite machine .. love the IDT....)
Bernina 009DCC Cover Stitch
Elna 744 combi Overlocker/Cover Stitch

Various others have passed through my hands, either sold on or donated to local college or Tools with a Mission.

Would love to buy a new cover stitch and a new overlocker .. but feel guilty about how greedy I can be as both machines do still work.

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 16:31:18 PM »
I have never understood why people need more than one machine.However, I have recently bought for £25. a tiny machine to take to a monthly sewing group. It never sees the light of day any other time. My real machine is a Brother.
I would never have multiples of any tool, it goes against my minimalist principles :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D