The Sewing Place

How many machines do you have?

Greybird

Re: How many machines do you have?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2019, 22:04:59 PM »
I have one sewing machine - Husqvarna Emerald 118 and one Overlocker - Janome 9102D. I sew in the dining room and it has to be cleared on a regular basis because we need the room when we have guests (frequently). I don't have space to keep any more machines.

I do have my grandmother's old Singer in the garage and one other vintage machine - I know not whence it came. Neither of them is in usable condition at the moment.

mudcat

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2019, 01:56:34 AM »
I have four:

Viking #1 which is now 22 years old and I hope it lasts as long as I do because I don't ever want to replace it
Memory Craft 4800 which was purchased as a backup machine
Janome Gem Gold 660 (very light weight) purchased for traveling
Babylock Imagine (serger/overlock)

In reality I use the Viking 99.99999% of the time.  I never took to the serger though i will keep it because I'm thinking about revisiting it after I retire next year.  I would like to buy a coverstitch since I sew primarily knits and will probably do so in the next six months once I figure out what I want.  I should probably get rid of the Memory Craft since I've only used it a hand full of times and if I had to be without the Viking for an extended time I could use the Gem.

Elnnina

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 11:41:12 AM »
My collection of sewing machines are  my own Elna SU bought 1975 and still in use today.  My Mother's Bernina 830 Record bought in 1975 and which I inherited in 2002.  My own Bernina Artista 200 bought by me around 2010.  My own Bernina overlocker 1100A which I had to buy as a replacement overlocker in a hurry in 2003 three weeks before my daughter's wedding as my original Elna overlocker was playing up.  My own Bernina  2500 DCET  overlocker which is also a coversticher as well.  Then on a whim I found a 1925  CWS Federation hand crank which is waiting for me to clean and bring into use.  Up until 1975 I used to sew on my own Cosson bought from new way back in the 1960's and was a straight stitcher - that eventually went off to East Africa via a charity.  The only reason I have two Bernina overlockers is that I originally sold the Bernina 1100DA to an elderly friend who wanted a modern overlocker but felt she coud not justify the expense of a new one at her late age in life.  She was so happy to buy this from me but sadly shortly afterwards she learnt she had a terminal condition and was keen for me to have this back - and sadly my friend passed away and had never used this lovely overlocker.  I managed to get the larger overlocker the 2500 DCET as a pre demo model and at the time was the top of the range overlocker that Bernina made.

I would love a treadle machine but it has to have a black cast /wrought iron base but then it is finding space for this in my tiny home.

Iminei

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 13:29:06 PM »
I don't feel the need for an embroidery machine, or even one with a zillion fancy stitches, they wouldn't get used, although occasionally I think it would be nice to have an alphabet facility for labels.

Elvis is always at your service @BrendaP  ... Imi xxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Radiofan

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 14:35:08 PM »
Currently

Singer 514K in table, a spare, should sell really
Singer 538K in cabinet, main machine because it is free-arm
Singer 760G A rescue (big job), but fun with the monogrammer and template buttonholer
Singer 99K Both hand and motor options, like new, eye candy
Singer 28K Resored (big job), pretty too
Singer S14-78 Overlocker, saves time
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Sewingsue

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2019, 14:46:56 PM »
As per my signature

Bernina Aurora 440QE, my biggest expense (apart from the car)
 Brother BC-2500, bought as a 'take to classes' machine - may use as a part exchange in the future
 Singer 99K (1938), my mother's machine, hardly used. Going in for a service and to be motorised next week
 Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2019, 14:55:35 PM »
I had one when I joined this place...

Now I have:

A Pfaff Classicstyle 2027 (supposed to be a quilting machine, but only has a standard sized harp-space, although it does have IDT (Integrated Dual Feed)).  It's a good, reliable general machine and lives in my sewing room/study.

A Husqvarna Viking Topaz 25, which is an embroidery machine and also a general sewing machine.  It lives on the dining room when we don't have guests and is the machine I use the most.

A Singer Featherweight, which lives in my sewing room and is more-or-less permanently set up with a Griest buttonhole attachment.

A Frister & Rossmann Jaguar 234DF Knitlock Overlocker which I have only had for a few months, but absolutely love (despite having spent years telling everyone that overlockers were the machines of the devil...)  This one lives on the dining table too.

A Britannia CS4000 Coverstitch, which I've only had for a bit over a month, and need to get to grips with properly.  Also on the dining table.  Fortunately we have a large dining table.  Not that it was bought with sewing in mind.  No, of course not.

If I ever find a particularly decorative hand cranked vintage machine, ideally set into a table, I will bring it home to be loved, but apart from that I think I have my quota.

I forgot one!  I also have an Essex Mk 1 miniature sewing machine from 1946.  It's a curiosity rather than something I use very often, but it is a lovely bit of machinery.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sara-S

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2019, 15:48:56 PM »
@Acorn I’ve seen vintage sewing machines, but never one like that. Does it work?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Acorn

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2019, 16:21:31 PM »
Absolutely.  It's a chain stitcher, and has no bobbin, so one side of the stitching looks like ordinary backstitch, whereas the other is a chain stitch.  It's a miniature machine, but was never designed as a toy. 

I love having no bobbin, but the threading diagram is something else!  The worst thing about it is that it has to be clamped to the table, because it isn't heavy enough to stay in place on its own - the clamp is original and came with it, but I get nervous about damaging the table.

There is more information about them here - scroll down a little.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

twopence

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2019, 19:36:46 PM »
I have my new Bernina 570 QE which I bought three years ago and they have since brought out another new 579QE with a wider throat and other changes.  -<. I’m not happy that Bernina did that but I love the machine.  My girls have my two previous Bernina.  I have an embroidery unit for mine.  I have a Bernina 2500 DECT overlocker and a Janome J3-18 light and portable for taking to classes.

I also have my grandmothers Singer 99k which she taught me to sew on and my great aunts sewing machine which I have to confess I haven’t opened to see what it is.  I was going to ask OH to get them going but put it off when he mentioned 3in1 oil which may be fine for cars but not for sewing machines.

Lilian

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2019, 19:59:25 PM »
I have:
an elna 'decorator's' touch' and a Frister+Rossmann 'fantasy'
A Singer 99k handcrank
Singer 201k/2 potted motor in it's own table (will be nice for FMQ when I have the nerve!)
Singer 221K featherweight in black
elna 664pro overlocker
Sold a 70's Singer recently.

No more machines I want (don't have the room)

:vintage:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 20:02:05 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Roger

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2019, 20:04:57 PM »
Im not sure I want to do this but here goes:

my favourite: the Singer 500A
the unstoppable Pfaff 30
A F+R 504 - that is so beautiful and looks like icecream
a singer 221 that i keep stashed away
a 401 - a doughty machine that I 'keep for spares'
2 singer 201s (one a potted and the other an aluminium)
an Elna Grasshopper - so cute and the kids get to use it sometimes
my grandmothers elna lotus - I love to have it but cant quite use it
a Bernina 530 - beautiful condition but Ive not warmed to it - ill probably sell it fairly soon
a 503a - fab machine but I have to sell it
a 48k beautiful - but cant be used
a 306 black - currently being worked on around real life (sorry for the delay)
a 95K - that works beautifully smoothly but doesnt make stitches yet - that i need a new motor for because its current motor is 500v rather than 240v - Doh - that was a mistake!
and a Juki Overlooker...
and a Spartan - that I need to sell too

Dont know how I ended up with so many US machines in the UK.

and somehow I still have a want me - for a 320 :) or a 216 :)

R.

and I missed out a Cresta T-132...

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

SkoutSews

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2019, 22:25:24 PM »
Blimey Roger! Do you and your family live in a tent in the garden?

SkoutSews

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2019, 22:44:08 PM »
After Roger's list, I feel I'm under-equipped! I have a John Lewis Janome Decor Excel II 5024 mechanical as my main machine. It's very capable, although probably in need of a service after nearly 10 years.
I'm using my Singer 401g to sew a dress at the moment. I love using this machine and it has a straight stitch foot and throat plate which is great for finer or more difficult fabrics.
My overlocker is new, a Juki MO654D. Very happy with it.
Coverstitch - Janome 2000 CPX, useful but can be pernickety. Which means I'm not sufficiently skilled to use it properly. I got that a few years ago when there was a very good reduction on them.
Finally an ornament, a Frister and Rossmann vibrating shuttle model E hand crank. Complete and in working order, but I don't sew on it.
I occasionally 'ooh' and 'aah' over the fancy, expensive, computerised models, but in reality I'm happy with my machines.

Roger

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2019, 22:50:50 PM »
Blimey Roger! Do you and your family live in a tent in the garden?
getting close :) I'm in trouble with the Mrs at the moment and need to part with a few, I know a few easier ones to part with... but a couple more wouldnt hurt ... too much probably :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132