The Sewing Place

What to keep?

Sewingsue

Re: What to keep?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 14:42:39 PM »
Get rid of Ladbury and Foster, keep the rest.
Done  :)

Well actually I have done a half cull.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Marniesews

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 22:45:53 PM »
I'd definitely suggest keeping the Aldrich & Bray pattern cutting books. Those are classics and even if you don't want to draft a pattern from scratch they can be invaluable to help you draft style alterations to a pattern that you've already fitted for your body.

I've even used one of Bray's old books that I'd bought years before and never used to make pattern adaptations for a ballroom dress a couple of years ago. It worked really well and since then I've often read them and got ideas for other dresses too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewingsue

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 07:14:52 AM »
Thanks, @Marniesews  I think that was at the back of my mind.
I know which of my craft books are considered classics because of the author and information even if the examples shown are 'of their time', but don't have the same knowledge of my older sewing books (saved from library stock a few years ago with good intentions).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.