The Sewing Place

Hello from sunny Glasgow

rowe1311

Hello from sunny Glasgow
« on: March 01, 2017, 20:10:03 PM »
Hello, it is Angela here who used to be helpme on TSF.  I have felt a little homeless without a go to forum for the last few weeks, so it is wonderful to have one again.  I am still kind of a beginner with a quest to learn as many different techniques as I possibly can as soon as possible.  I am not very patient! 

I have four young children, 1,3,5, and 7 (3 girls and a boy), and sewing is a refuge.  I have a room with a lock on it which I try to sneak into as much as I can with the same number of machines as I have children.  I aspire for my collection of machines not to outnumber my children, but I already have one more machine than I do kids, but that is set to go. 

I am still learning the basics with my lovely Juki overlocker, and I am hoping that from now on my clothes and some of my kids will be mainly home sewn.  I have a growing collection of tana lawn which I seem too scared to break into, but can't pass by an offer on liberty fabric!  I also am keen to do more machine embroidery, appliqué and possibly stencilling having suddenly fallen in love with Alabama Chanin.  I would like to bring a bit of creative flair to my clothes, bags etc but need to get to grips with the basics before I move onto more intricate things.   

I look forward to using your expertise and hopefully also contribute some tips to this forum as I get more experienced.     

Roger

Re: Hello from sunny Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 23:24:16 PM »
Hi!
I have little kiddies too! A girl and a boy, who are 3 & 5 respectively... they actually got me back into sewing when I decided a week to turn up school trousers was too long :)

Hope you find a suitable next machine. I'm about to start learning a Juki over locker too!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

rowe1311

Re: Hello from sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
I am pleased you are going down the route of the Juki.  I really like mine, and does make sewing up clothes very quick and easy.  I especially like how easy it deals with elastic so brilliant for kids clothes.   

The 66 I acquired will go on freeshare soon, and Amymac from TSF will be kindly donating me a beige 201lk.  It is electric but I will be fitting it into the treadle instead and very much looking forward to playing with that.  My Elna Stella is going back to my Mum as she is trying to do a bit more sewing and as she is familiar with the machine it seems better she has it than me.  It is cute and portable though so I think I might miss having a portable machine, but then I have never taken it anywhere so far.  That will leave me with 4 again and hopefully all of them being well used.